U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 08-24-2006, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Newtown Connecticut
328 posts, read 736,144 times
Reputation: 213

Advertisements

As I have stated in an earlier post ,my wife, myself and our dog are seriously considering a move (retirement) to rural North Carolina in the next few years. I have read many of the threads regarding life in North Carolina and have received some very candid and kind responses from folks who have lived there all of their lives as well as those folks who have relocated. Again thank you so much .

One Thread stands out. It was written in April of 2006 by "Luckydog". The Thread addresses the negative attitudes of a large number of "Northerners/Yankees". It reminded of my travels both in the United States and abroad. The term " Ugly American " comes to mind. It is an arrogance that I have never embraced or accepted. I have " misssed the boat" in regards to many of life's important lessons. However, the one place where I "get it " is where it says when you are in someone elses "Home" show respect !!!!! This is a lesson I will never forget....I have been blessed to visit many places and during those travels my kindness has by far and large been met with more kindness than I could ever imagine. Treat people how you would like to be treated. As a native of Connecticut and a "Northerner" I look forward to retirement in rural North Carolina. I eagerly seek to learn another aspect of life....Hopefully less hectic than what we are experiencing currently. and thanks again to "Lucky Dog".... I will listen carefully for the beautiful varieties of accents in the spoken word.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2006, 10:24 AM
 
18 posts, read 50,086 times
Reputation: 20
Default Not all New Yorkers are rude

Hi,

I've been reading the postings in this forum for a few months. I wanted to say something about the comments made about NYers and how rude or snobby
we are. I am a native New Yorker who is considering a move to North Carolina next year. The reason I'm leaving New York, the place I was born and grew up in, is because it's too crowded with A LOT of transplants coming to the city. It is those transplants who are the rude ones, not the natives. These transplants behave that way because they think that's the way a New Yorker behaves, but that's not true. I know plenty of New Yorkers who are friendly and will take the shirt off their back if you need help. I think the New Yorkers everyone is posting about are the ones who come to the city and try to act rude to fit in. The city is very fast paced and crowded. You are constantly in someone's space. If you had to live like that on a daily basis, you would have an attitude too. I'm leaving because I can't live like that anymore. I need to stretch my arms out and not have anybody touching them. In my twenties, I could go and hang out in crowded restaurants and bars and not feel claustraphobic, but now I'm in my thirties (late thirties), with a child. I'm a homebody now, who wants my child to grow up without feeling rushed all the time and be able to play in big backyard with her friends and our pets. Your perception of the general population of New Yorkers is just not true. I like making eye contact and saying hi to people. I guess that's why people are always surprised when I tell them I'm a native NYer.


Just my two cents...I promise when I move to North Carolina, I'll be sure to say hi and smile!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2006, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Alamance County, NC
8 posts, read 15,615 times
Reputation: 16
Thumbs up Friendly Yankees!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidas View Post

Just my two cents...I promise when I move to North Carolina, I'll be sure to say hi and smile!


Sounds great! I love meeting friendly Yankees!

When my husband and I visited NYC nearly two years ago, we had a great time and really enjoyed the people. Sure it was crowded as we walked along the streets, but, hey, it was NEW YORK CITY so it wasn't a surprise!


I was half-way expecting the unfriendly, snobby attitudes that NYC folks have a reputation for, but actually found the folks we talked with to be super-helpful and friendly like I hope all Americans are. We dropped by Grand Central Station and talked to a really nice worker. As soon as we opened our mouths, he laughed and said, "So are you from NC or GA?" LOL! Cracked me up!

Can't imagine why he'd think we were from the South! It's not like we talk funny or anything...hehehe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2006, 07:02 PM
 
33 posts, read 80,860 times
Reputation: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidas View Post
Hi,

I've been reading the postings in this forum for a few months. I wanted to say something about the comments made about NYers and how rude or snobby
we are. I am a native New Yorker who is considering a move to North Carolina next year. The reason I'm leaving New York, the place I was born and grew up in, is because it's too crowded with A LOT of transplants coming to the city. It is those transplants who are the rude ones, not the natives. These transplants behave that way because they think that's the way a New Yorker behaves, but that's not true. I know plenty of New Yorkers who are friendly and will take the shirt off their back if you need help. I think the New Yorkers everyone is posting about are the ones who come to the city and try to act rude to fit in. The city is very fast paced and crowded. You are constantly in someone's space. If you had to live like that on a daily basis, you would have an attitude too. I'm leaving because I can't live like that anymore. I need to stretch my arms out and not have anybody touching them. In my twenties, I could go and hang out in crowded restaurants and bars and not feel claustraphobic, but now I'm in my thirties (late thirties), with a child. I'm a homebody now, who wants my child to grow up without feeling rushed all the time and be able to play in big backyard with her friends and our pets. Your perception of the general population of New Yorkers is just not true. I like making eye contact and saying hi to people. I guess that's why people are always surprised when I tell them I'm a native NYer.


Just my two cents...I promise when I move to North Carolina, I'll be sure to say hi and smile!

I couldn't agree more! I think if you start a conversation with someone and smile you will find friendliness is common. What happens in NY is just what D said -- people almost expect everyone to be that way.
I think we're a pretty friendly group! I smile and get smiled at all day.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2006, 02:16 AM
 
Location: MI
330 posts, read 800,118 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidas View Post
Hi,

I've been reading the postings in this forum for a few months. I wanted to say something about the comments made about NYers and how rude or snobby
we are. I am a native New Yorker who is considering a move to North Carolina next year. The reason I'm leaving New York, the place I was born and grew up in, is because it's too crowded with A LOT of transplants coming to the city. It is those transplants who are the rude ones, not the natives. These transplants behave that way because they think that's the way a New Yorker behaves, but that's not true. I know plenty of New Yorkers who are friendly and will take the shirt off their back if you need help. I think the New Yorkers everyone is posting about are the ones who come to the city and try to act rude to fit in. The city is very fast paced and crowded. You are constantly in someone's space. If you had to live like that on a daily basis, you would have an attitude too. I'm leaving because I can't live like that anymore. I need to stretch my arms out and not have anybody touching them. In my twenties, I could go and hang out in crowded restaurants and bars and not feel claustraphobic, but now I'm in my thirties (late thirties), with a child. I'm a homebody now, who wants my child to grow up without feeling rushed all the time and be able to play in big backyard with her friends and our pets. Your perception of the general population of New Yorkers is just not true. I like making eye contact and saying hi to people. I guess that's why people are always surprised when I tell them I'm a native NYer.


Just my two cents...I promise when I move to North Carolina, I'll be sure to say hi and smile!
I honestly think its more socieo-economic more than anything. Yes their are rude "poor" people but hell I'd be bitter too if I was in the situation some of these people are in - $5.35 minimum wage for the past 7 years? sheesh

It seems the higher up on the dollar scale, the more % of people are rude - and I am not from the poor or rich side, I am in the middle but by parents did not have a lot but made a good life for themselves - I am starting way ahead of what they had to do. I will add an asterick there by saying people who are very successful but built their own wealth or "good life" generally have good attitudes; it's the people born into "the good life" that seem to have irksome snotty personalities. I coach a lot of kids from varying backgrounds and within 20 minutes the kids will tell you how the parents are just from their attitude towards teammates and lack of respect towards "old people" like me... in 30s haha.

Another example, I delivered pizzas one summer home from college, and the area I served was everything from trailer parks to very pricey doctors type of homes... the tip I'd get from the pricey homes was basically keep the change to the nearest dollar meaning if it was $12.53 they let me keep the .47 as a tip (gee thanks). When I delivered to trailer parks or apartments these people would give me $2-$3 even on a $10 order. Now someone might say "well that is why they aren't advancing in life" but my feeling is those people know the delivery driver's shoes because they have lived them and hence they tip drivers, waitresses etc a fair wage since they themselves do those "menial" jobs. They also actually smiled and talked to me as opposed to showing me the other side of the door as quickly as possible in the better neighborhoods

So anyhow, while I tease the NY/NJ/LI's I guess I imagine most Long Islanders are not waitress types and are upper management who send their kids to private school and hence my image of this type of 'person' (and no there are some great people who turn out great despite having the silver spoon) but it seems a much lower %... and yes there are bad people in the lower incomes too...just speaking to the general population and trend I have experienced in life. So its not so much geography but other things - now to live in NYC or surrounding areas yuo generally need to have more money so therefore those are more well to do people (in general) so thats why you probably have that "rude" factor perception versus a low income place...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2006, 08:31 AM
 
7 posts, read 6,941 times
Reputation: 10
Default Statesville area?? Workwise??

Hello I am interested to know a little more of NC particularly the statesville area. Presently I live in NJ.. Like everyone else I am looking for a better place to live. Something more affordable. I am in construction, how is it in NC? Some friends of mine are moving to NC and they are inviting us to go down with them. Then we will physically check things out. But my only reservation is do jobs pay enough in retrospect to the cost of living. Presently I am a self employed woodworker.

This for anyone here who has a opinion.. I would like to hear from as many as I can.. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2006, 08:46 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn New York
957 posts, read 3,161,846 times
Reputation: 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidas View Post
Hi,

I've been reading the postings in this forum for a few months. I wanted to say something about the comments made about NYers and how rude or snobby
we are. I am a native New Yorker who is considering a move to North Carolina next year. The reason I'm leaving New York, the place I was born and grew up in, is because it's too crowded with A LOT of transplants coming to the city. It is those transplants who are the rude ones, not the natives. These transplants behave that way because they think that's the way a New Yorker behaves, but that's not true. .
True-In fact, some of the rudest people I have met here are young Southerners who grow up with this perception of all Yankees being rude and so they come here and think that to "make it" here you have to be that way.
That said, i think another issue is the mass of people from other cultures who land here. Either they don't know the language and are uncomfortable engaging in conversation, or they come from a very different culture where people just don't interact with strangers. For instance, in some cultures holding the door for someone else, just isn't done. We see it as rude, while for them it is normal. When you go to China-town for instance, you may have people push past you to get on to the train. Well, in some Asian cultures, the subways are so crowded that they actually have attendants working the platform with a type of broom, to push people on to the subway cars. Of course, it would be ideal if people coming here from other places would adapt and become American's overnight. That's just not realistic.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2006, 12:17 PM
 
33 posts, read 92,052 times
Reputation: 31
My husband and I are originally from MA. We decided to move to NC after we got married because of employment opportunities, affordable housing and a better climate. Of course we moved to NC during the ice storm of 2002 so the climate aspect was pretty ironic at first.

All in all we really like it down here. We are both happy in our jobs and have since purchased our first home. I would say that we did have to do some adjusting when we moved. Personally I have found the majority of people orignally from NC to be very nice, but there is also a good few who don't appreciate northerners one bit. I've done my best to do the "when in Rome" bit by smiling, saying hello etc., but some people simply don't like us northerners no matter what we do, good or bad. I hate to be judged based on what someone did before me, but the only thing I can do is continue to be pleasant and respectful.

The second part of moving here that has been VERY difficult for me is the racism. It's overwhelming on both sides of the coin. White vs. black and black vs. white. It's scary and sad. Of course that isn't to say that everyone is that way. I just seem to experience it much more here in the south.

Anyway, for the most part it has been a good experience. Definitely a learning one and the good definitely outweighs the bad. My husband and I are happy to be here.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2006, 01:06 PM
 
Location: MI
330 posts, read 800,118 times
Reputation: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daver View Post
Hello I am interested to know a little more of NC particularly the statesville area. Presently I live in NJ.. Like everyone else I am looking for a better place to live. Something more affordable. I am in construction, how is it in NC? Some friends of mine are moving to NC and they are inviting us to go down with them. Then we will physically check things out. But my only reservation is do jobs pay enough in retrospect to the cost of living. Presently I am a self employed woodworker.

This for anyone here who has a opinion.. I would like to hear from as many as I can.. Thanks!
Daver,

From what I have read on this message board a lot of blue collar work down in NC is not paying very well, especially compared to what you get paid in the north. Part is cost of living and part is immigration and workers willing to do it for less... I've read this same thing on 4-5 different threads in past month.

If its something very unique that might be one thing but if its just residential home building that seems to pay a lot less down in NC
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-25-2006, 01:13 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,293 times
Reputation: 11
Default About Matthews

My husband and I are looking at Matthews as a place to retire. We are curious about the neighborhoods and areas that would have newer to new housing. Are most newer homes in subdivisions? Some places we have been given by a realator are Savannah Hills and Shannamara. One builder is D. Ballard. Do you know anything of these areas or the builder? We're not concerned with schools as our children are grown and gone from home. How far would Matthews be from where the nearest fishing hole would be? Is there shopping nearby? Senior Center? YMCA? Parks? Any information you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top