U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-25-2006, 01:48 PM

957 posts, read 3,105,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy View Post

If its something very unique that might be one thing but if its just residential home building that seems to pay a lot less down in NC
My Dad was an HVAC contractor in Ann Arbor Mi. I used to work for him for several years before college. When I was in between jobs while living in Eastern NC, I decided to pull out my tools and do some HVAC work. I got hired but only made about $6.50 an hour. That was a while back, I am sure that it would be more. But my comparison what that 10 earlier I was making over twice that back in MI.
After my Dad retired and moved to NC, he said that the people making in NC making money in the construction industry were the owners, not the workers.
Don't say the word union, its a pretty dirty word.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2006, 03:51 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,212,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhogan10010 View Post
...That said, i think another issue is the mass of people from other cultures who land here. Either they don't know the language and are uncomfortable engaging in conversation, or they come from a very different culture where people just don't interact with strangers. For instance, in some cultures holding the door for someone else, just isn't done. We see it as rude, while for them it is normal. When you go to China-town for instance, you may have people push past you to get on to the train. Well, in some Asian cultures, the subways are so crowded that they actually have attendants working the platform with a type of broom, to push people on to the subway cars. Of course, it would be ideal if people coming here from other places would adapt and become American's overnight. That's just not realistic.
I posted something similar a few months back on another thread. I actually was on a comittee of women trying to bridge the gap between the American & Chinese cultures... we would meet for dinners once a month & chat... not unlike what we are doing here on this board!
I no longer see certain behaviors as rude, I justdon't like that atmosphere and do not miss it.

Old 08-25-2006, 03:55 PM

1,611 posts, read 3,212,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisguy View Post
...So anyhow, while I tease the NY/NJ/LI's I guess I imagine most Long Islanders are not waitress types and are upper management who send their kids to private school and hence my image of this type of 'person' (and no there are some great people who turn out great despite having the silver spoon) but it seems a much lower %... and yes there are bad people in the lower incomes too...just speaking to the general population and trend I have experienced in life. So its not so much geography but other things - now to live in NYC or surrounding areas yuo generally need to have more money so therefore those are more well to do people (in general) so thats why you probably have that "rude" factor perception versus a low income place...
New Yorkers wait on their fellow New Yorkers, sweep the streets, & all that!
I wonder if people relocate from that economic level, or if they are just stuck...

Old 08-25-2006, 04:31 PM

180 posts, read 524,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidas View Post
Hi,

I guess that's why people are always surprised when I tell them I'm a native NYer.

Just my two cents...I promise when I move to North Carolina, I'll be sure to say hi and smile!
Will you smile to a RED SOX fan Like me, I might end up living next to you?

Old 08-25-2006, 07:21 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,273 posts, read 4,538,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottinmass View Post
Will you smile to a RED SOX fan Like me, I might end up living next to you?

I think he'll be smiling as the Yankees have 5 big reasons to smile...and I'm a Sox fan too...where's my aspirin...

Old 08-25-2006, 07:48 PM

5 posts, read 5,183 times
My husband and I are also semi-retiring but we still have young children. I am originally from MA and looking to find a similar small town as I grew up in to raise my kids with out the extreme weather. I plan to work and would like to find something in the banking industry; however, it will have to be just the right position because working is not something I have to do. I have been looking all over the country and at this point, I am thoroughly confused as to where the best place is for my family. If anyone has any suggestions please help! Good luck to you Len. We have also been focusing in on Hickory and Asheville.
Bethany

Old 08-25-2006, 07:53 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,898,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
My husband and I are looking at Matthews as a place to retire. We are curious about the neighborhoods and areas that would have newer to new housing. Are most newer homes in subdivisions? Some places we have been given by a realator are Savannah Hills and Shannamara. One builder is D. Ballard. Do you know anything of these areas or the builder? We're not concerned with schools as our children are grown and gone from home. How far would Matthews be from where the nearest fishing hole would be? Is there shopping nearby? Senior Center? YMCA? Parks? Any information you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
hey there Gayle: I like Matthews...it really seems to have alot to offer. Can't help you with the housing or the builder (and even might suggest you start a new thread with Matthews, NC as your title...it would be seen by more people). I don't think there is a mall in Matthews..but you won't hurt for other shopping options (I believe the closest malls to Matthews would be South Park in Charlotte and Carolina Place Mall in Pineville). You didn't mention medical care..but there is a really good hospital (Presbyterian) in Matthews (along with several medical offices). There is a YMCA (Siskey) off of Weddington (you might double check the street). I happen to be looking for somewhere for my Dad to play chess recently and came upon The Levine Senior Center in Matthews (hasn't been open all that long). Fishing....can be found in Lake Wylie (I think that would be your closest spot). Good Luck to you!

Old 08-25-2006, 07:55 PM

Default what about the schools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Really check those schools out first before you relocate. I am a teacher in San Diego, CA area (also considering move to rural NC). Two friends who were teachers here moved to NC to accept teaching positions in elementary schools and they just returned, begging for their jobs back (good luck). They were appalled at conditions in the public schools and said they would not put their children back into the schools, nor would they continue their teaching assignments. They loved the communities, but really hated the schools. We don't have small kids, so I am not worried, but be forewarned if you do have children.
What exactly was wrong with the schools?

Old 08-25-2006, 07:59 PM

I am new to this type of communication so I am not sure if I am doing it right??? I am wondering if the Hickory area is safe and what the schools are like. It's very hard to look at stats and knows what a place is really like. Also I am concerned about the summer heat and all the rain.
Bethany

Old 08-25-2006, 08:03 PM

2,314 posts, read 183,781 times
While it does get hot in Hickory its not that bad.... Well I am in Charlotte and it can get a bit Hot in July/August. The rain is not that bad from what I can tell. Schools I have no idea about maybe someone else can chime in.

You mentioned you are in the banking industry. It is primed here in Charlotte my wife actually works for Wachovia... So we enjoy those benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina