U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2006, 05:51 PM

13 posts, read 53,315 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info those who replied.

Wife and I are visiting in about 10 days to Asheville/Raleigh and we might make the decision to move after that. Sounds like Raleigh might make the most sense right now based on my research.

Florida Housing market is real bad right now. Real bad and I think I need to get out while the gettins good. Actually, a year ago would have been better.

I just hope I can sell my home in a reasonable time frame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2006, 08:42 AM

3 posts, read 23,707 times
Hi, I was wondering what information you could offer about matthews,nc.
I might be relocating there from NJ,have 2 children (5,6) and I'm looking for a nice area with good schools... How about Waxhaw/Wesley Chapel??
Any info would be appreciated... Thanks.

Old 09-01-2006, 09:56 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,685,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allycassy1 View Post
I might be relocating there from NJ,have 2 children (5,6) and I'm looking for a nice area with good schools... How about Waxhaw/Wesley Chapel??
Someone in the Charlotte Metro Area Forum should be able to respond if you post your questions there.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/

Old 09-01-2006, 05:07 PM

483 posts, read 1,449,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allycassy1 View Post
My family and I are relocating from NY to Matthews in 2 WEEKS! We fell in love with the area and fortunately the community we are going to live in is within Union County, not Mecklenburg. I say this only because of the schools. However, there is a problem with overcrowding in the schools as many have mentioned, but I believe the problem is controlled in the elementary schools. You should check out the other areas that you mentioned as well; I heard those were very nice too. Good luck with your search!

Old 10-15-2006, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 11,881 times
Default head hunter asheville

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetbee View Post
Please keep me posted! I would love to know what you find out about that area.

We are very fortunate because we are in contact with a head hunter in the Carolina area. She will be scouting out jobs for my husband. I have recently been researching the Raleigh-Durham area as well and that looks promising too.

I was going to start looking at the Charlotte area this weekend.

Blessings,
Vi
Do you have the name of a head hunter in asheville? We are wanting to relocate there to be near our grandchildren. Thanks Pat

Old 10-15-2006, 06:37 PM

1,891 posts, read 5,557,146 times
Matthews and Union county schools are high rated in the state report cards -- check out the website for individual reports.

http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/

Feel free to PM me if you would like additional information

Old 10-15-2006, 08:31 PM

7 posts, read 16,306 times
Default Summerfield, NC offers a lot-check it out

Hi Len,

We are currently living in Summerfield, NC and love if for soooo many reasons. It's close to Greensboro, (20 minutes to downtown Greensboro), Winston Salem, (25) not too far from Charlotte (1hour 15 mins) or Raleigh (1 hour, 15mins). It's 3 hours to coast and 3 hours to mountains. We looked into Asheville as well initially and decided to be in a great suburb of Greensboro and didn't want to settle so far west as travelling there in the winter is quite trecherous (in our opinion). Many families from up North are in our neighborhood and we have many middle aged and empty nesters here. There's so much to do and with the Greensboro airport about 15 minutes away our family can visit us and not deal with the windy mountain roads we almost chose in Asheville. We'd probably not see them as much if we were up in the mountains at least our older relatives, I think. We all want that slower pace and higher quality of life. We have found our slice of heaven here. It's a fabulous area and by selling your house up north you can't even believe what you can't get for your money here (at least until everyone jumps on this bandwagon). Plenty of employment since so many companies are relocating to the Triad area i.e. Dell, Fed EX adding a major hub and a few others I can't think of their names right now. They just built a brand new stadium and the Greensboro Bats are a big draw. It takes us about 20 minutes to get there. We may be relocating due a job transfer for my husband and it will be hard to beat the year round mild climate and close proximity to so many activities, great restaurants, shopping, golf, parks, pools and we didn't want to deal with the snow (had enough of that in CT & NY) the mountains get for quite a few months of the year. I'm not sure if this helps and you will find many opinions from many people, just follow your instincts and you'll pick the best area for you & your family.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:23 PM

5 posts, read 7,768 times
My husband and I are counting the days until we can move our family (kids are ten and three) to North Carolina. We've been looking (online) at the Winston-Salem area. How are the schools there? Traffic? I am an English teacher, and my husband will be looking for either a banking or management position. (He currectly works for a title company, but it appears NC is an attorney-closing state.)

Any info will be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 11-05-2006, 10:25 AM

131 posts, read 140,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lend27 View Post
My wife and I currently live in Massachusetts.
We are in our mid 50's, children married and on their own..
We have visited the Hickory and Asheville areas, spending a few days in each.
I am partial to the Asheville area (love the mountains), she is partial to Hickory(liked the neighborhoods).
We want a slower pace, out of the rat race. Due to the real estate appreciation here in the northeast, we will have enough money to settle pretty much anywhere. We will probably rent until we decide where to buy or build.
I am in an executive position and am tired of the rat race. We both would work, but not at high stress jobs, mainly for health insurance.
It appears to me that the Hickory economy and job picture is not as good as in the Asheville area.
With this in mind, what other areas should we consider with our main requirements being:
1. Slower pace
2. Safe neighborhoods
3. Reasonable real estate prices
4. Adequate employment with health benefits.
5. Minor league baseball nearby

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Len
Both are nice small cities but I favor Asheville because it is more
compact and less demanding,as for me"welcome to NC"

Old 11-08-2006, 06:20 AM

13 posts, read 53,315 times
LeavingFLSoon,

Have you looked at Raleigh/Cary area? My wife and I are outta here to NC as soon as we can sell our house (no easy task right now). I'm in the mortgage banking business myself so I know what your husband is going thru in the Title Biz. I know job cuts and reduction in hours are here. Raleigh/Cary Real Estate is doing well in terms of job growth.

I'm in the Stuart, FL area (Treasure Coast) and the market has tanked big time here. I'm ready for a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or