Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:31 PM

3 posts, read 8,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
Generally speaking, I would agree that the average NC Public School is at a lesser level than average schools in the Northeast.

As far as the "Yankee" factor goes, I've found residents to be very friendly to Northerners except the ones who attempt recreate their outside culture here by demanding various government services and practices that are common in the North but not in NC. There's a reason NC taxes are much lower here than in the Northeast. Great public schools and government services cost money. Some Northerners don't seem to understand that and are unwelcome by the life-long residents. This attitude is more prevalent in the more rural areas of the state than in the urban areas such as Raleigh-Durham and Charlotte with their high concentration of Northern transplants.

NC is very diverse state in regards to climate. While Summer is hazy, hot and humid in the Eastern part of the state, the Western part of the state is much cooler. The average high for July in Asheville is 83 degrees, while Fayetteville is in the mid to high 90s. Total Winter snowfall in Fayetteville is trace amounts while Asheville is normally around 15".

I lived in the Northeast for 40 years and NC for 15 years. I do not miss the North and would never consider moving back. The best advice I have for anyone considering a move to NC, would be to pick your specific area of NC very carefully based on your family's personal priorities, such as climate, schools, heathcare, tax burden, population density, race, religion, recreation and available government services. NC has it all, but not all in the same local area.

I applaud you for your insight. I am an NC Native and my husband is a New Englander. He has never experienced any assimilation problems in NC. However, I and most natives really turn read when we hear 'In XXX we did it this way.' right before they try to slap toll roads or some other expense on us. You know that our auto response would be 'well then why did you come here?' So, if you just act as the above poster and treat others as you want to be treated, you will find that southern hospitiality. Clustering is always bad IMO whether it is regional clustering, racial, ethnic or whatever. It doesn't allow assimilation and you cannot and shouldn't expect North Carolina to conform to NY, NJ, IL, Ohio or any other state because we wouldn't be very good at it. Don't be afraid to speak to the next person to you when out shopping either....that is generally the way it is done here except for those who move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2006, 05:22 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Asheville is a quite open-minded city for the Western part of the state--lots of "Artist communities" and a significant New Age mentality there. I can't speak for your specific issue, and bear in mind that outside of Asheville is a very "Appalacian" mentality, but Asheville is a wonderful little plum of an area.

Francois (NC Native)

Old 04-17-2006, 05:32 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
Default The "Yankee" factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town Crier
I applaud you for your insight. I am an NC Native and my husband is a New Englander. He has never experienced any assimilation problems in NC. However, I and most natives really turn read when we hear 'In XXX we did it this way.' right before they try to slap toll roads or some other expense on us. You know that our auto response would be 'well then why did you come here?' So, if you just act as the above poster and treat others as you want to be treated, you will find that southern hospitiality.
Another native NC'ian (though very educated and politically progressive) here--here is the lowdown on the "Yankee factor":

The reason "Yankees" can be maligned here is that unfortunately there are far too many with the "streotypical Yankee" personalitiy, namely loud, impatient, and overbearing. It's funny that folks move here for the "Southern hospitality" but then (some) treat the "natives" with a condescending "I'm-so-much-better-and-more-metropolitan-then-you" attitude, and no WONDER they get hostility back in return!

Treat people with kindness and a willingless to learn the "local ways", and you'll find people very welcoming, often in a Leave It To Beaver neighborly way. But move here and immeidately start *****ing about "But we did it like THIS up north!!" or make assumptions that Southerners are stupid, ignorant, or all a bunch of religious fanatics (as TV would have you believe), and you'll find yourself a victim of the same kind of Regional stereotyping.

And, making fun of Southern accents (please don't ever EVER call it a "Drawl", which is insulting) is grounds for war. Actually NC has about 5 different varieties of "Southern", which can be fun to listen for.

Francois, NC Native

Old 04-17-2006, 05:46 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Default saved me from embarrasment....

Thanks for letting us know "drawl" is an insulting term. I would never have guessed that!

Old 04-17-2006, 08:30 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,999,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois
Asheville is a quite open-minded city for the Western part of the state--lots of "Artist communities" and a significant New Age mentality there. I can't speak for your specific issue, and bear in mind that outside of Asheville is a very "Appalacian" mentality, but Asheville is a wonderful little plum of an area.

Francois (NC Native)
Interesting. Folks have warned me that the Asheville area is great except for the city of Asheville. They described the city as a "San Francisco" mentality but the rest of Buncombe and surrounding counties as the real western NC. I guess it just depends what one is looking for, but I imagine San Francisco does a much better job of being San Francisco than any Frisco wantabees.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-17-2006 at 08:44 PM..

Old 04-24-2006, 10:21 PM

17 posts, read 66,556 times
nc teacher,how about highschools and any colleges.how about cp.any thoughts would be helpful.thank you

Old 04-24-2006, 10:48 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
I personally do not consider Charlotte or Raleigh very Southern because most people living there are not from the South. There are so many out of state plates on the roadway, it is like Im in a different state.

On manners, You should always wave back when waved to, it is very rude not to. For the LAST time, dont make comments like, "this is not how we did it up north." That is seen as arrogant, and you will get a deserving "well go back up north" look.

The term yankee is directed to those with that type of attitude. And is used alot more frequently than many think.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:11 AM

192 posts, read 654,785 times
Quote:
I personally do not consider Charlotte or Raleigh very Southern because most people living there are not from the South. There are so many out of state plates on the roadway, it is like Im in a different state.
I agree with those points, for me, Raleigh was more of a melting pot. Can't speak for Charlotte.

As another native, I'll thrown in my thoughts on the "yankee factor" as it was coined above....

I have met so many truly lovely people, from the North, that have relocated here.

And unfortunately, I've encountered far, far more who were very abrasive & uncouth. And a lot of other adjectives...but I'll stop there.

I concur, that for those that are so brash, there is an awful distaste in many native's mouths....and I agree that that distaste is very widely held by natives. Who would want someone like that as a neighbor?, especially in a place that it is not the norm?

The term Yankee is.... well, usually derogatory when spoken by a native & refers specifically to that aggressive segment of northerners, for most of us...versus a mass stereotyping of every individual from the north.

I would view that type of mass stereotyping no differently than racial or gender stereotyping, which I hope we would all agree is very wrong. No doubt it happens, but I think we would all concur that those types of beliefs are not the norm anywhere, but are held by some, in all parts of our society, regardless of where you live. That is blind ignorance in it's purest form.

I feel empathy for those who wish to move down here that don't fit the stereotype, as truthfully, you have to overcome it, as the stereotypical Yankee is far more common than not. I've read in many of the posts, that some of you were uncomfortable with that behavior yourselves & that is a major factor in your relocation. I just think it's a bit sad for you to arrive here & be met with a stereotype that you perhaps, simply don't deserve. I'd like to think that the fact that you are not behaving in the the steretypical fashion will speak volumes for you as you settle here among the natives. I can't imagine that anyone with the kind disposition, as most in NC are known for, to meet you with anything but kindness in return.

On the other hand, I don't welcome the stereotypical yankee majority. I find the type of behavior they are known for to be truly appalling & I find it deeply offensive. I do resent the alteration, in so many ways, of a very lovely place I call home by people like that. I can't imagine that anyone with a kind disposition, as most in NC are known for, would welcome that type of behavior & meet you with anything but offended resentment.

Good manners and Poor manners, are just that...and they speak for themselves, regardless of where you were raised, or choose to live. It's truly that simple. At least it is to me.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:27 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,083,984 times
luckydog,

really couldnt have summed it up better. Cary is infamous as a Raleigh city that has many "relocated northerners" or "transplants" I guess is the proper term?

Here it is Cornelius, Mooresville, Davidson, and Huntersville. Many of those born and raised in these towns moved out. When their new neighbor became a strip mall they left their home towns a little angry, which is understandable.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:34 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Luckydog,
Maybe some of the NC natives can give us a clearer picture of what behaviors are seen as most obnoxious?

So many people from the North fit the stereotype because the enviroment calls for it. Saying hello to strangers? Never happens. Too many people from different walks of life here who are not used to it. Drive like lunatics? Yes. The roads are so congested it's every man for himself. Stop to talk to a sales clerk/gas attendant/grocer? Who has the time here? We are all so wrapped up in where we're going and what we're doing that we don't even look at who is walking by, never mind say hello, or wave to a car driving through our neighborhoods. It's pretty sad, actually.

And although for the most part we're pretty united, even locally, there is resentment for "Northern behavior". If we live in Jersey, we consider NYers rude. If we live in Central Jersey, we consider North Jerseyans rude, if we live in South Jersey, we consider all of the above rude. And for those of us living in the Northern NJ, and NY the rest of NJ is full of boring suburbs and rednecks. So you see, it's pretty universal .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina