U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 11:04 AM
NYC NYC started this thread

4 posts, read 13,304 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I am moving out of NYC after living the dreadful high stressed, expensive and cramped life to North Carolina on October 1. I have worked as a senior paralegal for six years, and am going to NC to work part-time while attending fine art school. The School is located in Southern Pines, NC, where I will also be living. Can anyone help with part-time office opportunities that may be available to me in the Moore County area? I am willing to drive 30 minutes to and from work. I don't mind if the position is not in the legal field, but I have a ton of skills (if you want my resume just e-mail me!). I would look to work about 25 hours a week. Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2006, 06:57 PM
JAS

569 posts, read 1,775,494 times
Default Moore County

I don't know much about Moore County apart from that I've played golf down there a few times in and around Pinehurst, but I wouldn't think that there are a lot of job opportunities due to its small size. It's too far of a commute to Raleigh, at least for my taste.

Maybe someone else with more personal knowledge can chime in.

Old 04-27-2006, 08:11 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,673,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAS
I don't know much about Moore County apart from that I've played golf down there a few times in and around Pinehurst, but I wouldn't think that there are a lot of job opportunities due to its small size. It's too far of a commute to Raleigh, at least for my taste.

Maybe someone else with more personal knowledge can chime in.
I agree. Moore County is pretty much about tourism and retired folks.

Top Private Sector Employers

FirstHealth of the Carolinas, Inc. Hospital & Affiliated Entities 2,850

Pinehurst Resorts Hotel & Resort 1,300

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. Mass Retail 522

Gulistan Carpet Carpet Manufacturer 375

St. Joseph of the Pines Senior Living & Health Services 320

Pinehurst Surgical Clinic, P.A. Medical Center 225

Pinehurst Medical Clinic, Inc. Medical Center 200

Ingersoll-Rand Company Hand & Edge Tools Mfr. 200

McMurray Fabrics, Inc. Textiles Manufacturer 200

Kolcraft Enterprises, Inc. Wood Household Furniture 180

Old 04-27-2006, 10:04 PM

7 posts, read 24,685 times
NYC - I would love to know how you make out. I'm thinking of moving from CT to the Southeast Asheboro area, not too far from Southern Pines. I am a court reporter here (freelance, not courthouse work). I'm planning on only taking assignments 2 days a week so I wouldn't mind even a one hour commute.

Old 04-28-2006, 07:03 AM
NYC NYC started this thread

4 posts, read 13,304 times
I will definitely let you know if I find a job. Moore County, where southern pines is, happens to be beautiful, and there is a huge art community. I am coming from a big city and like to idea of living in a small artsy town and being able to commute to Raleigh or other areas.

Old 04-28-2006, 09:37 PM

One thing I recently found out is that most of the counties are "dry" meaning no liquor is served in restaurants, etc. I'm not a big drinker, but not having the choice will seem strange to me. If I'm not mistaken, it's just the bigger cities that serve alcohol. Maybe someone else on the forum can enlighten me. (I'm like that child who only wants something when they're told they can't have it My Italian friends would consider it a crime to not have wine with dinner!!

Old 04-29-2006, 06:05 AM
JAS

Default dry

Beer and wine can be sold in dry counties - it's only the liquor that cannot be sold or served in restaurants. Also, liquor can only be sold in state-run "ABC" stores.

Only the most rural counties are "dry" (although some communities and towns in or near large metro areas are still dry) - I doubt that most of those places would have very many restaurants where wine is sold, anyway. BBQ and Chianti isn't a good combination.

Old 04-29-2006, 09:56 AM

JAS - thanks for the clarification. I myself am not Italian, but I grew up in an area that had a heavy Italian influence -- lots of great food and great cooks around. My friend's grandfather made his own homemade wine in the basement!! Tasty, but a little cloudy. It's probably the equivalent of sweat tea to a southerner. Years later I worked with a Polish immigrant who made homemade vodka. Again, tasty, but a little cloudy

I assume a dry county means there are no pubs or sports bars and the like??

Old 04-29-2006, 10:22 AM
JAS

Default Dry

I may be wrong, but I think "dry" only refers to liquor and not to beer & wine sales. It may also apply to beer & wine sales by the glass in restaurants, but again - I don't know of too many areas that are still dry. I am guessing that the dry areas probably wouldn't have a variety of pubs and sports bars in the first place.

Old 04-29-2006, 10:29 AM

2,098 posts, read 5,875,056 times
Default I think JAS is right

JAS,

I think you might be right. In NJ, one of our shore resorts, Wildwood, has that. There's Wildwood and Wildwood Crest (one is the very end or tip of the other). Although I can't remember which one is the "dry" one (I think it's WW Crest), it leans more toward a family atmosphere. I think there may be stores that sell, but there are no bars, clubs or pubs there. WW itself is where all of the "nightlife" is at. But again, I don't think "dry" means completely without alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina