Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 11:40 AM

39 posts, read 119,211 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're a family currently living in NJ - desperate to get out and to move to NC. We're doing out best to make sure that we have jobs to go to, but it's difficult. We've checked out Cary/Raleigh, next on the list was Charlotte and then my husband heard of a position in Winston-Salem. I have done absolutely no research on Winston-Salem or Greensboro and was wondering if anyone could spare a few minutes to tell me if it's a good area to raise children? How are the schools? How do house prices compare to Cary and Charlotte? We are looking for a better quality to our life. NJ is very difficult and he commutes every day into NYC. Schools are probably the most important thing for us right now. Any feedback would be really appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 12:25 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,553,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMOM View Post
Hi, we're a family currently living in NJ - desperate to get out and to move to NC. We're doing out best to make sure that we have jobs to go to, but it's difficult. We've checked out Cary/Raleigh, next on the list was Charlotte and then my husband heard of a position in Winston-Salem. I have done absolutely no research on Winston-Salem or Greensboro and was wondering if anyone could spare a few minutes to tell me if it's a good area to raise children? How are the schools? How do house prices compare to Cary and Charlotte? We are looking for a better quality to our life. NJ is very difficult and he commutes every day into NYC. Schools are probably the most important thing for us right now. Any feedback would be really appreciated. Thank you.
Have lived in ALL 3 areas. YES...the TRIAD (Winston-Salem, Greensboro & High Pont) area is a great area to raise kids. Home prices will be the cheapest in that area and all have good schools. Not so much to do.

Cary is just a suburb of Raleigh. Homes are more expensive and schools are good. Not alot to do.

Charlotte is the largest city in NC and has tons of things to do for families & kids. Much more than the 2 other areas. Homes are on the higher end. Schools are a touchy situation. There are some good schools and bad schools. Charlotte metro population 2.2 million so of course there will be bad schools and bad areas. Charlotte offers alot though.

You really can't go wrong with any of the 3 areas. Greensboro & Raleigh is a slower pace of life. You might like that. Traffic in Charlotte is HORRIBLE! We do have our 1st Light Rail line open and 4-5 more lines are planned and will open in the following years.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:44 PM

39 posts, read 119,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
Have lived in ALL 3 areas. YES...the TRIAD (Winston-Salem, Greensboro & High Pont) area is a great area to raise kids. Home prices will be the cheapest in that area and all have good schools. Not so much to do.

Cary is just a suburb of Raleigh. Homes are more expensive and schools are good. Not alot to do.

Charlotte is the largest city in NC and has tons of things to do for families & kids. Much more than the 2 other areas. Homes are on the higher end. Schools are a touchy situation. There are some good schools and bad schools. Charlotte metro population 2.2 million so of course there will be bad schools and bad areas. Charlotte offers alot though.

You really can't go wrong with any of the 3 areas. Greensboro & Raleigh is a slower pace of life. You might like that. Traffic in Charlotte is HORRIBLE! We do have our 1st Light Rail line open and 4-5 more lines are planned and will open in the following years.

GOOD LUCK!
Thanks for your reply. So if I was looking at a realtor's website, what sort of areas would you recommend I look at in Greensboro? There are so many to choose from! Thanks.

Old 03-14-2008, 01:05 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,553,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMOM View Post
Thanks for your reply. So if I was looking at a realtor's website, what sort of areas would you recommend I look at in Greensboro? There are so many to choose from! Thanks.
In Greensboro you would want to go to NW Greensboro...or the West side of town.

Winston-Salem you would want to go to the WEST side...or suburbs of Clemmons 1st...then Lewisville 2nd.

Charlotte you would want to go to either South/Ballantyne or North to suburb of Huntersville.

Cary...just about anywhere is fine.

ALL these ares wll put you in the better school districts too!

You should really visit all 3 for yourself and see what you guys like.

Greensboro, Cary & Charlotte are NOTHING alike...all 3 very different.

Old 03-14-2008, 02:32 PM

3,491 posts, read 8,581,229 times
Northwest Greensboro is the most attractive part of town and has the lowest crime rate.

Old 03-17-2008, 07:00 PM

135 posts, read 503,710 times
In Charlotte check out the Dilworth Area which is really nice, safe and clean ! A little pricey but you get what you pay for and the value will just continue to rise as charlotte keeps growing !

Old 03-19-2008, 03:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,803 times
I'd say move to Cary/Raleigh, hardly ever here about crime, Greensboro is full of crime, I live in Greensboro, everyday you here about murder, kidnapping, the biggest thing going on now is the gangs thats going on. I can't wait to finish college so I can move back to Raleigh.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:11 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,865,184 times
^As with just about any city, there are areas with higher crime that should be avoided. Mecklenburg County has the highest crime rate in the state, but that isn't stopping people from moving here. They just have enough sense to know to avoid the high crime areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina