U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2008, 06:07 PM

31 posts, read 118,611 times

Advertisements

I am looking at different teaching jobs in North Carolina and wanted some advice on where I should go and where I should not go.

Any suggestions??

Missy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 06:26 PM

3,021 posts, read 10,099,540 times
The Department of Public Instruction is probably the first place you should go.
North Carolina Public Schools
https://schooljobs.dpi.state.nc.us/hrms/HRMSHome.Nsf/VacantPosition?openform (broken link)

Old 03-14-2008, 06:47 PM

well, I have a list of vacancies, but just would like to know where is the best places to look at.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:57 PM

1,920 posts, read 4,347,520 times
I think our county (Lincoln) is still giving teachers incentives to move here and teach...
they were in the recent past anyway....

Old 03-14-2008, 09:29 PM

Is that Lincolnton? I was looking at this area.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:20 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,347,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missy3681 View Post
Is that Lincolnton? I was looking at this area.
Yes! Check it out!

Old 03-15-2008, 08:25 PM

34 posts, read 167,450 times
I am a teacher originally from Ohio and I got hired in Cumberland County. It is not the best school district in the world, but you shouldn't have trouble finding a job here. There are some good schools and some not so good ones.

Old 03-16-2008, 08:10 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,431,266 times
Wake County, which encompasses Raleigh and Cary schools, is hiring. Good area to be -- more so for teachers than families with kids being redistricted annually. The neighboring counties may, or may not, be looking for personnel, too.

I'm a retired HS teacher, from down on the NC Coast, and New Hanover County (as well as other coastal areas) are always popular places to teach -- Wilmington is 7 miles from Wrightsville Beach. Many young teachers work at Ashley HS, and live at Carolina Beach. The jobs get snapped-up, though, and because NHCS has many applicants from whom to select, you should have great credentials, recommendations, and be (ideally) in a high-need area. I know they are almost begging for media resource personnel right now -- in 'critical need?'

I've been doing some substitute-teaching in Wake County, and I've been impressed with the facilities and the children I've worked with. Most of the schools have had a 'healthy climate,' congenial to teaching, I think.

Be aware of the fact NC schools, regardless of where you go, are "test" conscious -- they wants results. Just for whatever that's worth. Puts a lot of stress on some.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:41 AM

I recieved a contract last year from Cumberland and have a good friend that lives there. Since I have not heard wonderful things about the school, I thought I would look elsewhere. Any place you would teach in NC if you had a choice right now?

Old 03-21-2008, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 6,030 times
Default School districts

I know a lot about the Triangle area. I taught in Chapel Hill-Carrboro, Orange County, and Durham Public Schools. Definitely don't go to Durham. Chapel Hill-Carrboro is wonderful, but there usually aren't too many vacancies. I had my dream job there. I enjoyed Orange County as well. Wake County is big, so there are a lot of options...some better than others. I had several offers in Wake, loved the schools but didn't want to drive. Same with Guilford County (Greensboro). Vance County was another smaller school system where I enjoyed the people I met when interviewing. I also know several people who are long time teachers and administrators in Johnston County (just east of Wake County), and they love it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or