Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2008, 01:29 PM
krm krm started this thread

2 posts, read 6,886 times

Advertisements

Can someone provide some details about the pros and cons of the Raleigh vs Charlotte, NC area with respect to pricing for housing and quality of life. I am considering a move to the NC area. I've visited both areas from 2006 to present, and find both acceptable. I have 2 daughters and am considering Catholic schools in both areas.

Can anyone who's considered both cities and made a decision to actually move to one of these cities offer an opinion based on facts?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 01:47 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krm View Post
Can someone provide some details about the pros and cons of the Raleigh vs Charlotte, NC area with respect to pricing for housing and quality of life. I am considering a move to the NC area. I've visited both areas from 2006 to present, and find both acceptable. I have 2 daughters and am considering Catholic schools in both areas.

Can anyone who's considered both cities and made a decision to actually move to one of these cities offer an opinion based on facts?

Thanks!
There are many threads on this topic . . . you might check the search feature on this forum as well as on the Raleigh forum.

Raleigh is a state government center/biotech and Charlotte is a banking center. The cities are very different. I would not know where to begin w/ comparing the two.

Here is a link for an archived thread on this forum concerning people's opinions about Raleigh and Charlotte:

Charlotte or Raleigh

Usually, people are applying for jobs in both cities and have specific questions. Does your move not depend on finding employment?

Last edited by brokensky; 03-16-2008 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: added link

Old 03-17-2008, 08:06 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
The 2 cities are nothing alike. Raleigh is smaller with a slower pace of life and a good place to raise a family.

Charlotte is much larger with more to do and also a great place to raise a family.

Not sure about the Catholic schools in Raleigh (Sure they have them). Charlotte has Catholic schools.

Visit both again and again and decide what is best for you. We lived in Raleigh for 2 years but it was way to slow. Have lived in Charlotte for years now and LOVE Charlotte. Just a personal opinion though.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:13 PM

135 posts, read 503,626 times
The spliff on Charlotte and Raleigh is that Raleigh is a place for younger people (singles) in their 20's to early 30's and Charlotte is the next move up when your a newly wed, been married a while and looking for more people your age. Look the cities up on this website and it gives you statistical data, age demographics, crime, race demographics and lots of more good information ! Goodluck ! I like both places ! Raleigh is newer and upcoming location and going through its boom stages ! Will be Charlotte size one day and Charlotte will be Atlanta size !!!!

Old 03-19-2008, 03:52 PM

2 posts, read 5,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
The 2 cities are nothing alike. Raleigh is smaller with a slower pace of life and a good place to raise a family.

Charlotte is much larger with more to do and also a great place to raise a family.

Not sure about the Catholic schools in Raleigh (Sure they have them). Charlotte has Catholic schools.

Visit both again and again and decide what is best for you. We lived in Raleigh for 2 years but it was way to slow. Have lived in Charlotte for years now and LOVE Charlotte. Just a personal opinion though.

GOOD LUCK!
What do u mean "Raleigh is to slow"? Please inform me, I live in Raleigh, been to Charlotte, the only difference is, Charlotte has tall buildings.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:06 PM

450 posts, read 2,320,919 times
What would be the deciding factor for me is which city I could find the best job environment in. Best pay, benefits, and job security, as well as plenty of job options in my field. The job market still kind of stinks right now so it depends on what field you're in but basically it's true, Charlotte is more banking and Raleigh is near the biotech firms, Research Triangle Park jobs, etc. There are good Catholic schools in both I'm sure. You will integrate well into either, as long as you find employment you like that's suitable to you.

I've never lived the Raleigh area but have friends that do. They are raising a family in Holly Springs and he likes it a lot.

I lived in Charlotte, and liked it...just hated the traffic, I probably wouldn't have wanted my kids in any of the school districts we could have afforded to live in *in* Mecklenburg County. If you move to Charlotte to raise a family, consider some of the outer areas most convenient to your job, Huntersville, Cabarrus County (Concord or Harrisburg), Fort Mill, South Carolina.....

Old 03-22-2008, 10:21 AM
krm krm started this thread

2 posts, read 6,886 times
Thank you to all who have responded. Coming from NY (not Manhattan), any city is not overwhelming. In fact, Charlotte has a nice slow pace for a city. Looking in Mecklenburg and very impressed with the housing. As I've seen, both Raleigh and Charlotte are going through the typical infrastructure issues (schools) characteristic of rapidly growing areas.

Keep the replies coming - Thanks again.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:22 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,555,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkin2100 View Post
The spliff on Charlotte and Raleigh is that Raleigh is a place for younger people (singles) in their 20's to early 30's and Charlotte is the next move up when your a newly wed, been married a while and looking for more people your age. Look the cities up on this website and it gives you statistical data, age demographics, crime, race demographics and lots of more good information ! Goodluck ! I like both places ! Raleigh is newer and upcoming location and going through its boom stages ! Will be Charlotte size one day and Charlotte will be Atlanta size !!!!
OK, let's be realistic. Raleigh will be Charlotte's size in the not so distant future. Raleigh area=1.5 million and Charlotte is closer to 2.0 million. Atlanta area is about 5 million people. The Raleigh area is actually growing at a slightly faster rate then the Charlotte area now so within 20 years I see both area being pretty much identical. The Wake County school system is actually now bigger than Meck as far as student population. Raleigh is much, much closer to Charlotte, than Charlotte is to Atlanta. I'm just being realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina