Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2019, 11:17 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,994 times

Advertisements

Mmmmm I think maybe the BOA stadium streetscape can be argued is better then Mercedes Benz dome but I don’t agree about US Bank stadium. And both blow BOA out of the water when it comes to design though. Even with a rendered dome. I personally don’t see them doing anything with BOA for awhile though. Maybe some updates but I don’t see them building a new one anytime soon or relocating.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:39 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
^ In person, the area around the stadium felt so sterile. I stayed at a hotel right by it. Very glassy and didnt feel very incorporated into its surrounding environment like BofA. The design feels better on a pedestrian scale (outside of game days at least.) Maybe it’s that BofA is wrapped with mature trees and planters that it fits in with its environment. Maybe it’s that BofA has a tiny tiny parking lot hidden in the back. Or maybe that part of Minneapolis just overall sucks. (The stadium in general is much nicer than BofA though)

In other news. That picture shows a nice contrast of the growth on Stonewall

Old 01-02-2019, 08:12 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Mmmmm I think maybe the BOA stadium streetscape can be argued is better then Mercedes Benz dome but I don’t agree about US Bank stadium. And both blow BOA out of the water when it comes to design though. Even with a rendered dome. I personally don’t see them doing anything with BOA for awhile though. Maybe some updates but I don’t see them building a new one anytime soon or relocating.

Within 5 years we might see some movement on the issue. In major league sports these days a 20 year old stadium is considered old and stadiums being built now have domes.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:30 AM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Within 5 years we might see some movement on the issue. In major league sports these days a 20 year old stadium is considered old and stadiums being built now have domes.
The big thing in pro sports now is to control development around your stadium or practice facility. Receiving rent off several million sq ft of space can be more lucrative than the stadium plus it's money you don't share with the other owners or players

Old 01-02-2019, 11:27 AM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,519 times
BOA stadium could be an entire new thread. In my opinion it'd be a shame if they put a roof on it. One of the greatest assets Charlotte has is the weather from September to December. To squander that asset for a shot at one Superbowl is crazy.

Tepper is a also guy that knows how to make money. $800m has a much higher return on investment if spent buying and developing the land between the stadium and Frazier park. I'm sure a threat to move the team could secure a rubber stamp needed for rezoning. Like the poster above mentioned, receiving rent off several million sq ft of space is much more lucrative than a spiffy new stadium.

Old 01-02-2019, 09:32 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,321,847 times
The Stadium will be replaced eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later. And hopefully with a mixed-use development to accompany it similar to the new SunTrust Park in Atlanta.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:56 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
The Stadium will be replaced eventually, hopefully sooner rather than later. And hopefully with a mixed-use development to accompany it similar to the new SunTrust Park in Atlanta.
That the Atlanta forum already has a thread about eateries closing in the battery because of inconsistent foot traffic.

You should hope that NC remains a place where some common sense is used and billions aren't spent on stadiums every 20 years.

The hoopla over new stadiums lasts about a year. Do you hear much about the Dallas Cowboy's stadium anymore? No

Atlanta's MB stadium will have it's moment in the spotlight in a couple of weeks, immediately afterwards it will be yesterday's news.

Society's priorities are out of whack when our infrastructure is crumbling, yet 20 year old facilities are being demolished. But hey, at least we don't abandon new facilities like every other country hosting the Olympics have done.

Raleigh's PNC arena may not stun, and perhaps never did when it was built for about $130 million in ~2000. or so.

NYC's original and revised costs for replacing the Port Authority Bus Terminal were $10 billion down to $7 billion for what contained to a city block.

I was thinking one day that without adjusting for inflation which is substantial,

You could build about 90 PNC arenas for what will be spent on the new bus terminal.

And on a side note, the new La Guardia airport that started at a jaw dropping 4 billion cost is now over 8 billion. But if there ever was a more deserving than them, I'd be surprised.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:49 AM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
I think Charlotte can learn from other cities mistakes. Make it a larger project and bring in multiple developers to build something special that would incorporate a new stadium. Something that attracts foot traffic year round and put Charlotte at the top of the list for Super Bowls and NCAA Final Fours.

Raleigh made a big mistake building the PNC arena in the burbs. I still don't understand why they didn't build it downtown.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:37 AM

743 posts, read 826,233 times
Quote:
I think Charlotte can learn from other cities mistakes. Make it a larger project and bring in multiple developers to build something special that would incorporate a new stadium. Something that attracts foot traffic year round and put Charlotte at the top of the list for Super Bowls and NCAA Final Fours.

Raleigh made a big mistake building the PNC arena in the burbs. I still don't understand why they didn't build it downtown.
A new stadium doesn't put Charlotte anywhere near the top of the list to host the Superbowl,Final Four. LA & Vegas will be at the top once their new stadiums open in couple of years. I think people don't realise that the Panthers stadium revenue is still in the top half of the NFL because that have a ton of club seats & luxury boxes. Plus they haven't even maximized revenue opportunities in their current location.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:32 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times
Quote:

State didn’t want it downtown from what I remember. No one did. The Hurricanes season ticket base is in the suburbs and in the suburbs they will likely remain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina