Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2019, 09:25 PM

4,133 posts, read 2,758,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Rest assured I’m not the only one who doesn’t consider North Hills as part of downtown Raleigh.
No one considers North Hills part of downtown Raleigh because it is not downtown. Your original post didn’t specify downtown Raleigh, it merely said Raleigh’s 3 tallest towers and then said FNB would be the fourth tallest. I was only commenting that A) FNB wasn’t going to be the 4th tallest tower in Raleigh and that B) Charlotte’s skyline is growing in such a way that comparisons to Raleigh make no sense for any number of common sense reasons.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:23 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,859,433 times
This is the NC Development thread, don't use it to recreate a debate between Raleigh and Charlotte. It's silly, we can like more than one city in a freaking state. Also skylines are not everything. Chapel Hill and Carrboro don't even have height but I enjoy my time every time I'm there. I dig both DT Raleigh and Uptown Charlotte but that doesn't stop me from also enjoying my time in DT Greensboro. Roaming cities on foot, and the street level experience varies but it's still enjoyable no matter the size of the skyline. Don't get me wrong, skylines are nice to look at, and it's cool to see them expand but feel like people in these forums often make them the end all be all and they're not.

Old 02-16-2019, 07:00 AM

2,373 posts, read 2,616,015 times
^ Great post!!! Thank you!

Old 02-16-2019, 07:27 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,335,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrckmtthws View Post
This is the NC Development thread, don't use it to recreate a debate between Raleigh and Charlotte. It's silly, we can like more than one city in a freaking state. Also skylines are not everything. Chapel Hill and Carrboro don't even have height but I enjoy my time every time I'm there. I dig both DT Raleigh and Uptown Charlotte but that doesn't stop me from also enjoying my time in DT Greensboro. Roaming cities on foot, and the street level experience varies but it's still enjoyable no matter the size of the skyline. Don't get me wrong, skylines are nice to look at, and it's cool to see them expand but feel like people in these forums often make them the end all be all and they're not.

It’s development. I’m not going to stop talking about the development in the development thread because people misconstrue it as a slight to their city. I live in Washington, so obviously I don’t think skyscrapers is the end all. And I’m sure we can all enjoy ourselves in cities of all sizes.

Uptown, as I’m sure you know, isn’t a bunch of towers and nothing else. There’s a lot of amenities and lots to do these days. Were it a bunch of bank lobbies like 15 years ago surrounded by surface lots. I’d say CLT sucks. Not matter how many skyscrapers.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:01 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,416,203 times
Population of a city has a lot to do about development. If a city is growing, the amount of develop is shown in the development column.
The top 50 cities in NC for 2019
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...orth_Carolina#

I would like to see all cities have plus grow +, and not a red - .

North Carolina is a state located in the Southern United States. According to the 2010 United States Census, North Carolina is the ninth most populous state with 10,042,802 inhabitants but the 28th largest by land area spanning 53,819 square miles (139,390 km2) of land.[1][2] North Carolina is divided into 100 counties and contains 532 incorporated municipalities consisting of cities, towns, or villages.[3] While municipalities may use the name village, town, or city, there is no legal distinction between the names.

Source:Wikipedia

Last edited by CLT1985; 02-16-2019 at 08:11 AM..

Old 02-16-2019, 08:14 PM

Italian machine-tool maker moving North American headquarters to Charlotte

Porta North America, a subsidiary of Porta-Solutions S.p.A., located near Milan, Italy, currently has its headquarters in Newington, Connecticut. The company will move that office to flex space at 9233 Forsyth Park Drive in southwest Charlotte. It will also add a training center in the Charlotte building.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott..._news_headline

Old 02-16-2019, 08:22 PM

View of uptown along Stone wall Street from John Belk I277 freeway.

Photo by Eastsider

Old 02-16-2019, 09:23 PM

37,784 posts, read 41,454,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
View of uptown along Stone wall Street from John Belk I277 freeway.

Photo by Eastsider
Love Charlotte, but I'm really not a fan of most of the new stuff on Stonewall that backs up to I-277. To me it looks cheap and I don't think it will age well, and it actually pains me a bit to say this. And don't get me started on that monstrosity of a parking garage that's part of Legacy Union. Missed opportunities for sure...bleh.

Old 02-17-2019, 03:27 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,136,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
To me it looks cheap and I don't think it will age well.

Looks cheap because it is cheap. Bloomberg just wrote a good article about it. Its not just Charlotte... https://www.bloomberg.com/news/featu...-look-the-same

Old 02-17-2019, 03:28 PM

I do not care to compare how tall building in Charlotte to Raleigh buildings. It is what it is, and Raleigh may have some tall building in the future that are high as 50 t0 55 stories. When Raleigh gets the demand for taller building I am sure they will build them.
All I can say is downtown Raleigh is looking better now than when I move to Texas in 1973.
Greensboro, Wilmington And Winston Salem down towns are growing and looking better also.

With NC lower the taxes on companies, I am sure we will see a lot of companies coming to NC cites that will make chances to our cities.

I think Raleigh has a nice down town, I believe it will only get better. The same for Greensboro, Durham, Winston Salem and Wilmington.

By 2020 Charlotte will be at, or over over 900,000. Uptown Charlotte will be bigger but hat come with growth. I look farward to see what happens in cities all over NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina