Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 07:32 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Would be nice if Charlotte could get some traditional-type architect to break up all the modern blue glass boxes that are starting to prevail Uptown....something like the new AC Hotel in Spartanburg:
That is very nice.

The closest CLT is getting is the new courthouse and Grand Bohemian.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:41 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
That is very nice.

The closest CLT is getting is the new courthouse and Grand Bohemian.
Yeah I like the new courthouse design.

Although it's not a highrise, the Grand Bohemian design is certainly a departure from the current blue glass standard but it's hard for me to tell what it will look like from the renderings. It just topped out and I'm waiting to see how it will turn out.

Old 03-24-2019, 04:00 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Charlotte’s first indoor skydiving facility opens Saturday.
Austin, Texas-based iFLY has invested roughly $10 million into that 5,300-square-foot building, says Trevor Thompson, its vice president of new tunnel openings.
This is iFLY’s first location in the Carolinas. Thompson says the Charlotte market can support the premium attraction with its demographic base and solid economy.
It is located at 7840 Lyles Lane in Concord, near Concord Mills.

From Charlotte Business Journal

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott..._news_headline

Old 03-25-2019, 08:34 AM

The governor of SC and Gaston County really, really, really want light rail to CLT.

How odd.... Im Not sure light rail should go to either jurisdiction. Commuter rail? Yes. Light rail? Mmmm....

Light rail makes no sense to me outside of Meck. Co.

And according to the 2019 center city Charlotte report, as of 2018 uptown’s population is now 23,000. 116,000 workers. 5,583 hotel rooms. Uptown now has over 10,000 people per square mile.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 03-25-2019 at 08:42 AM..

Old 03-25-2019, 08:45 AM

186 posts, read 177,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Would be nice if Charlotte could get some traditional-type architect to break up all the modern blue glass boxes that are starting to prevail Uptown....something like the new AC Hotel in Spartanburg:
I think that it would be nice for all NC cities to get something like this. Lovely design!!!

Old 03-25-2019, 09:38 AM

186 posts, read 177,224 times
New proposal for the 614 Rigsbee Ave location, in Durham. The N&O has an article, but it is behind the pay wall.

Image is courtesy of the News & Observer

Old 03-25-2019, 09:53 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
And according to the 2019 center city Charlotte report, as of 2018 uptown’s population is now 23,000. 116,000 workers. 5,583 hotel rooms. Uptown now has over 10,000 people per square mile.
Impressive numbers for sure. Definitely contributes to Charlotte providing that big city vibrancy to it's core. Nice to see it crack the 10k people per square mile mark. That 10k ppsm threshold to me has usually been a good indicator of a 16hr downtown.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes Raleigh to do the same. By the end of 2019 the estimated population density of downtown should be around 8k. But with nearly every project announced containing substantial residential numbers, I could see the jump into the 10k+ happening sooner then initially thought. Smokey Hollow and it's 3 phases alone should boost downtown 1k-2k people. Phase 1 with the Publix is supposed to have 417 units. Phase 2 which should start construction soon as everything is demolished for it, is supposed to add 280. And depending on the zoning granted, phase 3 could add anywhere from 400-700 units. With everything else announced I could see 10kppsm being cracked by 2022-23. Obviously Raleighs downtown physical size is smaller than Charlotte's, but it's nice to see the density of actual residents increasing all the same.

It would be interesting to see where the rest of NCs cities are as far as that goes but I can't seem to find great info. Idk if other posters of those cities could provide better sources just as a grant of my curiosity? I know there's a pretty good increase of people moving to the cores throughout the state.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Impressive numbers for sure. Definitely contributes to Charlotte providing that big city vibrancy to it's core. Nice to see it crack the 10k people per square mile mark. That 10k ppsm threshold to me has usually been a good indicator of a 16hr downtown.

It'll be interesting to see how long it takes Raleigh to do the same. By the end of 2019 the estimated population density of downtown should be around 8k. But with nearly every project announced containing substantial residential numbers, I could see the jump into the 10k+ happening sooner then initially thought. Smokey Hollow and it's 3 phases alone should boost downtown 1k-2k people. Phase 1 with the Publix is supposed to have 417 units. Phase 2 which should start construction soon as everything is demolished for it, is supposed to add 280. And depending on the zoning granted, phase 3 could add anywhere from 400-700 units. With everything else announced I could see 10kppsm being cracked by 2022-23. Obviously Raleighs downtown physical size is smaller than Charlotte's, but it's nice to see the density of actual residents increasing all the same.

It would be interesting to see where the rest of NCs cities are as far as that goes but I can't seem to find great info. Idk if other posters of those cities could provide better sources just as a grant of my curiosity? I know there's a pretty good increase of people moving to the cores throughout the state.
Agreed on all points.

Old 03-25-2019, 11:06 AM

511 posts, read 510,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Downtown Greensboro only has 2,683 people living downtown but we should see that number increase now that Carroll at Bellemeade is almost finished, as well as a residential project at South Elm. There are 13,739 people within a 1 mile radius of downtown.

Doesn't seem like much compared to Charlotte, but we're putting up positive numbers.

Source: https://downtowngreensboro.org/wp-co...18-Website.pdf

Old 03-25-2019, 11:16 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
Downtown Greensboro only has 2,683 people living downtown but we should see that number increase now that Carroll at Bellemeade is almost finished, as well as a residential project at South Elm. There are 13,739 people within a 1 mile radius of downtown.

Doesn't seem like much compared to Charlotte, but we're putting up positive numbers.

Source: https://downtowngreensboro.org/wp-co...18-Website.pdf
Ah thanks for that brochure PDF. I figured a local would have better insight on how where to look for a report like that. I've been struggling finding accurate numbers for anything outside of Charlotte and Raleigh. Do you know how many units Bellemeade is bringing? And yeah I've been following the Greensboro thread and the potential hotels are nice but it looks like some residential is also slowing starting to build.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina