Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2019, 09:38 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,851,262 times

Advertisements

Well, obviously that’s a bit of over the top spin from a pr guy, but the underlying sentiment is probably true. Raleigh will try and capitalize on all the publicity from Ashley and others. The restaurant industry is a pretty strong driver of tourism.

Old 05-11-2019, 09:48 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Well, obviously that’s a bit of over the top spin from a pr guy, but the underlying sentiment is probably true. Raleigh will try and capitalize on all the publicity from Ashley and others. The restaurant industry is a pretty strong driver of tourism.
True.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:58 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
““This award could take it to another level,” Peacock said. “That could be what we become known for on a national level. Our Eiffel Tower.””

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/living/...tml#storylink=

Lol. Congrats to Raleigh. I don’t really see Raleigh mentioned when I search on google news for the award, excluding local sites. So not sure being the next Eiffel Tower is realistic.

Edit: found an article not from local NC media.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/08/jame...-is-zahav.html

^ it briefly mentions Raleigh at the end of the article:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...rs/1129914001/

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/06/d...rd-awards.html

Old 05-11-2019, 12:31 PM

On their own, I’m not sure how much articles about the Beard Awards will be read by the public at large. Certainly it is exposure in its own right, but the bigger gains will come in a long game as perception and awareness of the Raleigh food scene expands.

Old 05-11-2019, 01:56 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Hampton Inn and Suites downtown Greensboro

Beam rises to the 7th floor. The hotel will be 8 stories tall because the section above the 7th floor that will have the signage will be a story tall. The statue of General Greene, the city's namesake, stands majestically in the middle of the roundabout.
What irks me so much about that statue is that the very plain and basic base is as big as the statue itself, which is actually of modest size but it makes the base look oversized. That throws the proportions off a good deal to me.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:02 PM

I thought there was a horse.

Old 05-11-2019, 02:55 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
What irks me so much about that statue is that the very plain and basic base is as big as the statue itself, which is actually of modest size but it makes the base look oversized. That throws the proportions off a good deal to me.
I would have loved to have seen a water feature around it instead of flowers.

Quote:
I thought there was a horse.
There actually two statues of General Greene. The one on the horse is at Guilford Courthouse National Military Park in northwest Greensboro. The one of him standing without the horse is downtown on Greene Street. Wonder if the city ever thought about changing the name of Greene Street to Gen. Nathaniel Greene Street.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:06 PM

Thanks. More great examples of it pretty much not being mentioned at all in the national media. Though these articles I kept seeing DC referred to and a couple other cities.

Buried in the middle of the article, I do see where Raleigh is basking in the glow with national media attention though:

Quote:

Those regional wins went to Beverly Kim and Johnny Clark of Parachute (Chicago), Tom Cunanan of Bad Saint (Washington, D.C.), Ann Kim of Young Joni (Minneapolis), Jody Williams and Rita Sodi of Via Carota (New York City), Tony Messina of Uni (Boston), Brady Williams of Canlis (Seattle), Vishwesh Bhatt of Snackbar (Oxford, Mississippi), Mashama Bailey of The Grey (Savannah, Georgia), Charleen Badman of FnB (Scottsdale, Arizona), and Michael Cimarusti of Providence (Los Angeles).

Other medals were awarded to Frenchette (New York City) for best new restaurant, Ashley Christensen of Poole’s Diner (Raleigh, North Carolina) for outstanding chef, Kelly Fields of Willa Jean (New Orleans) for outstanding pastry chef, and fourth-time nominees Kevin Boehm and Rob Katz of Boka Restaurant Group (Chicago) for outstanding restaurateur.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Thanks. More great examples of it pretty much not being mentioned at all in the national media. Though these articles I kept seeing DC referred to and a couple other cities.

Buried in the middle of the article, I do see where Raleigh is basking in the glow with national media attention though:
You don’t have to be pedantic just for the sake of being pedantic. Ashley Christensen publicity has been everywhere the last few years (Times Magazine, Bon Apetit, NY Times, etc). It’s not going to get quieter after the Beard.

Old 05-11-2019, 04:33 PM

Quote:
You don’t have to be pedantic just for the sake of being pedantic. Ashley Christensen publicity has been everywhere the last few years (Times Magazine, Bon Apetit, NY Times, etc). It’s not going to get quieter after the Beard.
I was pedantic for the sake of Atown enjoying the national spotlight and this being Raleigh’s Eiffel Tower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina