Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2018, 06:02 PM

71 posts, read 60,652 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
The 500 million from downtown Raleigh is an incomplete list of projects U/C.... Not those just finished or about to begin. The report makes a note that some dollar amounts are unavailable.

Greenville is including a corridor study... improvements to public blocks... an overpass.
Another master plan. And according to this link, it’s 112 million of projects in Greenville. Maybe it’s not current https://uptowngreenville.com/experie...vest/projects/ but I’d be interested to see a real report like the other cities have. Marketing reports and intersections not withstanding.

NCFC stadium, Dix, Union station, 2 grocery stores, mass transit, hurricanes could move downtown, etc etc. Raleigh is going to be a very different place. I don’t think a 400% population increase from 535 people is comparable to the change Raleigh will go through. There are downtown CLT neighborhoods experiencing more change, more people, x5 compared to downtown Greenville. SouthEnd, a sq. Mile of neighborhood or so, is adding many more people, much much more office space, tons of shopping (look for things like H&M, Urban Outfitters and other mall quality tenants on top of urban Publix, Harris Teeter, Lowe’s. Office Depot, etc). SouthEnd is going through much more of a transformation. NoDa. Plaza Midwood. Midtown. All downtown neighborhoods.

And Raleigh is growing as so as well. To me, transformative means I want to be wowed and shocked by change. A few apartment buildings and a few theaters, etc. isn’t transformative to me. That’s just progress and healthy growth. I find suburban growth more impressive than what you’re stating. Areas where in like “holy crap!”

Raleigh, Charlotte, Durham I think are the only cities that will be transformative and noticeably different on 10 years in NC. Greensboro is the only other city that might be transformative, but I honestly doubt it.

I’m not trying to be dismissive of the smaller NC cities. Maybe Greensboro would’ve been a better example to compare Greenville to. Nice, progressive growth.
You didn’t know Greenville existed 2 seconds ago. You can’t in the same breathe say it isn’t transforming enough. It transformed into an actual city for you in the space of 3 thread pages, perhaps the most remarkable transformation yet discussed on this thread.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:14 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
I knew Greenville, NC existed, because when my family got our first TV set, the only station we could get was Greenville, NC
Also had family to go to ECU.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:28 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,224,746 times
Ive been to Greenville before too. Yes it is college town with ECU and Pitt Community College. I have noticed there are a few nightclubs in the downtown area so there is potential building off its strengths being a college town. The challenge is attracting industry and commerce. Its a good drive away from the urban crescent, interstate highways and major airports.

However outside of Wilmington, I think Greenville has the most potential in eastern North Carolina. Because of its location away from critical infrastructure, we may not see Greenville, at least anytime soon grow to the size of or have the kind of amenities the big 5 have (Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham and Winston-Salem)

But I want to stress that bigger doesn't always mean better.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 04-06-2018 at 06:45 PM..

Old 04-06-2018, 10:07 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Ive been to Greenville before too. Yes it is college town with ECU and Pitt Community College. I have noticed there are a few nightclubs in the downtown area so there is potential building off its strengths being a college town. The challenge is attracting industry and commerce. Its a good drive away from the urban crescent, interstate highways and major airports.

However outside of Wilmington, I think Greenville has the most potential in eastern North Carolina. Because of its location away from critical infrastructure, we may not see Greenville, at least anytime soon grow to the size of or have the kind of amenities the big 5 have (Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Durham and Winston-Salem)

You’re right. Bigger isn’t better but the city isn’t transforming like Raleigh is. Even ignoring the size disparity, Raleigh’s transformation is more robust then a 400% increase in a population of 500 people.

Old 04-07-2018, 01:00 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:

I agree. However, interstate access shouldn’t be an issue for Greenville much longer. US-264 between US-64/Future I-87 in Zebulon and Greenville was designated as Future I-587 back in November 2016, and they’re trying to get the NC-11/US-13 corridor between US-70/Future I-42 in Kinston and US-64/Future I-87 in Bethel designated as a future interstate, which would also give Greenville interstate access to Hampton Roads in Virginia (via I-87 connection in Bethel). The Greenville Southwest Bypass is currently under construction with completion scheduled for June 2020 and the C.F. Harvey Parkway in Kinston is being extended from NC-58 to NC-11.

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/Greenville/

https://ncdot.gov/projects/CFharveyPkwyExt/default.html

A lot of Greenville’s growth in recent years can be attributed to former mayor Allen Thomas. He’s done wonders for that city when he was in office. It’s a shame he resigned last summer so he could become executive director of the Global TransPark in Kinston. People can say what they want about the GTP, but if anybody can turn that place around, it’s Thomas. If he can’t do it, nobody can.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:54 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
These are the fastest growing and shrinking counties in the Carolinas

▪ The three fastest-growing counties in the Carolinas border the coast: Pender, Brunswick and Horry County, S.C.
▪ Three counties grew by 10,000 people or more: Wake, Mecklenburg and Horry County, S.C.

▪ 52 of the 146 counties in the Carolinas lost people. Cumberland County, N.C. lost the most – nearly 1,000 people.

Read more here: These are the fastest growing and shrinking counties in the Carolinas | Charlotte Observer

Old 04-09-2018, 08:20 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,858,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
You’re right. Bigger isn’t better but the city isn’t transforming like Raleigh is. Even ignoring the size disparity, Raleigh’s transformation is more robust then a 400% increase in a population of 500 people.
Nope. Percentages rule the day in terms of transformation. Its why Brunswick Co has lead NC and in some periods the nation in population growth. Leland transformed from 1,800 to 18,000 in a 15 year period. There was nothing and now there are multiple 400K housing developments. A few fast food places and a Food Lion, now 50 retail establishments and multiple hotels.

Greenville's downtown has a $30 million dollar housing complex going where there was an old tire place. A $40 million complex going where there was a parking lot. A Transportation Center going where there was a vacant lot and a couple of small vacant buildings. That is transformative stuff in a city center that is being built now. A vacant lot will house a Hilton, across the street will be an ECU Admin building where a parking lot now sits. A Wendy's was torn down and parking lot turned into a deck for the largest Student Center in the State. A few houses, parking lot, and former cleaners torn down for ECU's Business building. All and more happening in one small time period within a few blocks of each other.

And that overpass being built is its direct link to its Interstate and huge Health care district which includes ECU's Health Science campus, so its value is much beyond the actual cost of construction.

Last edited by HP91; 04-09-2018 at 08:38 AM..

Old 04-09-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT1985 View Post
Greenville needs to look out for Concord. It is growing by 13.69% to Greenville 8.23%.
Again. We are talking about DOWNTOWN transformation...not the overall City...

And downtown growth is more important to downtown transformation than sprawl growth...Concord's growth is reliant on its Interstate and proximity to Charlotte...so the fields are alive with relative urban sprawl. See Cary for a great example of a mediocre downtown in an affluent sprawling city.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Being located away from the piedmont hasnt stopped Wilmington and Greenville's growth. Both have one Interstate and smaller airports.

Seems to me it doesnt matter how many interstates or big airports some communities have, they're growth still hovers around 5%.

Old 04-09-2018, 10:05 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Nope. Percentages rule the day in terms of transformation. Its why Brunswick Co has lead NC and in some periods the nation in population growth. Leland transformed from 1,800 to 18,000 in a 15 year period. There was nothing and now there are multiple 400K housing developments. A few fast food places and a Food Lion, now 50 retail establishments and multiple hotels.

Greenville's downtown has a $30 million dollar housing complex going where there was an old tire place. A $40 million complex going where there was a parking lot. A Transportation Center going where there was a vacant lot and a couple of small vacant buildings. That is transformative stuff in a city center that is being built now. A vacant lot will house a Hilton, across the street will be an ECU Admin building where a parking lot now sits. A Wendy's was torn down and parking lot turned into a deck for the largest Student Center in the State. A few houses, parking lot, and former cleaners torn down for ECU's Business building. All and more happening in one small time period within a few blocks of each other.

And that overpass being built is its direct link to its Interstate and huge Health care district which includes ECU's Health Science campus, so its value is much beyond the actual cost of construction.
I'd love to see renderings of some of the "Transformative" projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina