U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-03-2006, 10:45 PM
 
2,560 posts, read 6,081,865 times
Reputation: 1063

Advertisements

I grew up in Cerritos, Gahr class of 83. I remeber when the mall and the auto square were dairies! Lakewood Mall was an outdoor center and did you ever go down to the Pike in LB? Glad to see love the carolina's is happy with the move. I think I am really going to enjoy it thier.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2006, 12:05 PM
 
Location: SoCA to NC
1,877 posts, read 6,907,330 times
Reputation: 1228
Gosh i could have typed this post! My Dh and I had the opportunity to move 10 years ago and it fell through. Then my oldest started Kindergarten and we thought we better stay put now that he is in school. However the older my kids get the less we want to raise them in the materialistic environment of CA. It will be an adjustment for my now 12, 10 and 7 year olds but in the long run it will be we hope a better quality of life for them. We have been in our current area for 13 years and it has gotten so over crowded that you can't breath! We will be making our first trip out in June as soon as the kids get out of school and the move should follow by August-October. We can't wait. Oh and BTW we are both CA natives as well! Sometimes i think it is the natives who have the good sense to get out while they can. Mainly because we can compare the state if CA to what it once was and isn't anymore!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2006, 03:48 PM
 
889 posts, read 2,851,917 times
Reputation: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD
Gosh i could have typed this post! My Dh and I had the opportunity to move 10 years ago and it fell through. Then my oldest started Kindergarten and we thought we better stay put now that he is in school. However the older my kids get the less we want to raise them in the materialistic environment of CA. It will be an adjustment for my now 12, 10 and 7 year olds but in the long run it will be we hope a better quality of life for them. We have been in our current area for 13 years and it has gotten so over crowded that you can't breath! We will be making our first trip out in June as soon as the kids get out of school and the move should follow by August-October. We can't wait. Oh and BTW we are both CA natives as well! Sometimes i think it is the natives who have the good sense to get out while they can. Mainly because we can compare the state if CA to what it once was and isn't anymore!
We are on the same page as you. We are packing right now, movers are comming tomorrow and we set sail on June 15th. House(s) are bought but no jobs in place yet but we will figure it out
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2006, 04:41 PM
 
Location: SoCA to NC
1,877 posts, read 6,907,330 times
Reputation: 1228
MVN2NCgood luck to you! We are fortunate that my Dh will be transferring within his company as far as jobs go. I can't wait until we are where you are. Just a few more months......again God speed and good luck!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2006, 08:04 PM
 
2,536 posts, read 8,358,851 times
Reputation: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
I grew up in Cerritos, Gahr class of 83. I remeber when the mall and the auto square were dairies! Lakewood Mall was an outdoor center and did you ever go down to the Pike in LB? Glad to see love the carolina's is happy with the move. I think I am really going to enjoy it thier.

okay nascarnancy...I remember when there was No Cerritos (Dairy Valley)...while growing up in LB I remember watching them build the 91 freeway (prior to the 91 the main road was Artesia Blvd)...my Mother knew Mr. Gahr....and in regard to the Pike...my Mother spent alot of time down there when she was growing up....as did I when I was her age too (a little different then what they call the Pike now )

Have some great memories from CA...but now it is time for some new ones...and we would never ever consider moving back. Here is hoping the same holds true for you and yours. Good luck to you!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2006, 09:48 PM
 
2,560 posts, read 6,081,865 times
Reputation: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas
okay nascarnancy...I remember when there was No Cerritos (Dairy Valley)...while growing up in LB I remember watching them build the 91 freeway (prior to the 91 the main road was Artesia Blvd)...my Mother knew Mr. Gahr....and in regard to the Pike...my Mother spent alot of time down there when she was growing up....as did I when I was her age too (a little different then what they call the Pike now )

Have some great memories from CA...but now it is time for some new ones...and we would never ever consider moving back. Here is hoping the same holds true for you and yours. Good luck to you!
My mom grew up on the Lakewood-Long Beach boarder. She was the first class to graduate from Lakewood High that went from sophmore to senior (class of 60). Last year for mothers day I bought her a book that you may be interested in it's called "The Holy Land" A Suburban Memoir by PJ Waldie. It's all about Lakewood and how it started as a city in 1949. A bit before your time but you may enjoy it.

Thank you for the kind words.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2006, 12:25 AM
 
Location: Indian Trail NC
23 posts, read 55,548 times
Reputation: 14
Wow could the world be any smaller?!
We too are getting ready to move to NC, and my DH was born and raised in So Cal. Lakewood to be exact! He graduated '92 from Mayfair. Myself I'm from IA, but been to SoCal many many times over the last 12 years.
Maybe when we all get to NC we should have a reunion!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2006, 11:46 AM
 
2,536 posts, read 8,358,851 times
Reputation: 1061
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarnancy
My mom grew up on the Lakewood-Long Beach boarder. She was the first class to graduate from Lakewood High that went from sophmore to senior (class of 60). Last year for mothers day I bought her a book that you may be interested in it's called "The Holy Land" A Suburban Memoir by PJ Waldie. It's all about Lakewood and how it started as a city in 1949. A bit before your time but you may enjoy it.

Thank you for the kind words.

Your very welcome...and thank you too in regard to the book you mention. A friend of my parents help build many of the homes in Lakewood (that would make a great gift for him)
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2006, 04:28 AM
 
Location: Durham, NC
1,232 posts, read 3,468,900 times
Reputation: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatBlue-EyedGirl
I couldn't agree more with what you posted, RedNC. My thoughts exactly!
I don't mind immigration, as long as it's legal and those who come here bring some value to the country. We have enough unemployed homeless and we need to start addressing the folks at home.

But I digress.

Blue-Eyed Girl, we must live close by and about the same age. We'll be visiting NC in two weeks for a two week stay. We're going there to meet up with realtors as well. We arrive in Charlotte for a few days, then off to some small towns toward the coast, then Wilmington for several days, then Asheville. A bit of a whirlwind, but we only need five hours of sleep when we travel. We get fairly amped up on such trips.

Anyway, we wanna get out of L.A. Been here all our lives. And we're hoping to escape by summer, so if we get situated there by the time of your trip, we'll let you know. However, we'll get back with you on our findings. In the meantime, we've been doing research upon research and reading up on personal accounts with others in the area here and on various community sites including MySpace.

It's getting too stressful here and, even if it doesn't work out, we need to give another area a try. NC is a place I've often thought about with regards to relocation. Several friends have relocated there. And one in particular just moved back after twelve years in NC. After a few months, she realizes why she hates CA, but even moreso now. It's just that her husband needed to be around his parents at this time. So they had to make the move. I think they'll move back someday.

Let me know what you've found out thus far. Maybe we can check out some things en route while we're out there to give you, at least, a head's up. You know our itinerary. Drop me a line if you want a Cali perspective. Though I imagine, I will concur with all the positive accounts from the wonderful people of NC.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2006, 10:08 AM
 
2,560 posts, read 6,081,865 times
Reputation: 1063
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy
I don't mind immigration, as long as it's legal and those who come here bring some value to the country. We have enough unemployed homeless and we need to start addressing the folks at home.

But I digress.

Blue-Eyed Girl, we must live close by and about the same age. We'll be visiting NC in two weeks for a two week stay. We're going there to meet up with realtors as well. We arrive in Charlotte for a few days, then off to some small towns toward the coast, then Wilmington for several days, then Asheville. A bit of a whirlwind, but we only need five hours of sleep when we travel. We get fairly amped up on such trips.

Anyway, we wanna get out of L.A. Been here all our lives. And we're hoping to escape by summer, so if we get situated there by the time of your trip, we'll let you know. However, we'll get back with you on our findings. In the meantime, we've been doing research upon research and reading up on personal accounts with others in the area here and on various community sites including MySpace.

It's getting too stressful here and, even if it doesn't work out, we need to give another area a try. NC is a place I've often thought about with regards to relocation. Several friends have relocated there. And one in particular just moved back after twelve years in NC. After a few months, she realizes why she hates CA, but even moreso now. It's just that her husband needed to be around his parents at this time. So they had to make the move. I think they'll move back someday.

Let me know what you've found out thus far. Maybe we can check out some things en route while we're out there to give you, at least, a head's up. You know our itinerary. Drop me a line if you want a Cali perspective. Though I imagine, I will concur with all the positive accounts from the wonderful people of NC.
When you go to Asheville make sure you go through the Biltmore Estate, call ahead for tickets. It's incredible. I can hardly wait to go back as we didn't get to do the garden tour. The winery and wine tasting was quite fun.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top