U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 06:34 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,352,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
P.S. Okay, I'm jealous. How did you get 103+ reputation points with only 26 posts. Now, that's appreciation!!!
okay I know I am more than likely setting myself up here...but it's probably because she is from my old hometown...where some really good people use to live and many more that still do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2007, 07:50 PM

105 posts, read 268,953 times
Hello my Panther brothers and sister, I too graduated from Long Beach Jordan High in 1990. Now living between Lakewood and Long Beach, by Lakewood Mall. In the last 5 years the homes has triple the value. I didn't buy until it was at it highest, not much equity We are looking to relocate soon hopefully by this summer. Will be looking around TRI area. Good to see Panthers across America. Any suggestion for areas to look for people from Long Beach CA. Been hearing that Knightsdale, Holly Spring, and Fuquay are some of the places to check out. Try to land a job for a company base in Lillington. Thanks

Old 01-27-2007, 08:32 PM

2,536 posts, read 8,352,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenlife7 View Post
Hello my Panther brothers and sister, I too graduated from Long Beach Jordan High in 1990. Now living between Lakewood and Long Beach, by Lakewood Mall. In the last 5 years the homes has triple the value. I didn't buy until it was at it highest, not much equity We are looking to relocate soon hopefully by this summer. Will be looking around TRI area. Good to see Panthers across America. Any suggestion for areas to look for people from Long Beach CA. Been hearing that Knightsdale, Holly Spring, and Fuquay are some of the places to check out. Try to land a job for a company base in Lillington. Thanks
Hey there zenlife-I just sent you a PM!

I am not familiar with the tri area...so I can't help you there...but I did want to wish you all the best!

Old 01-30-2007, 06:40 PM

7 posts, read 14,835 times
My husband & I moved here (Archdale/High Point) 10 years ago from Westminster Ca. It is the best move we could have ever made. It is a different hot here in the summer - is really humid. That can take some getting used to. As for hurricanes it depends on where you live. Near the coast they are a problem but where we are it doesn't effect us too bad. Maybe some high winds but nothing major. The cost of houses here - both renting and buying is incredible compared to Ca. It is like a different world. I think you'll love it. Good luck...

Old 01-30-2007, 07:08 PM

553 posts, read 2,124,179 times
I lived in so cal and miss nothing. NC kicks butt. Hurricanes...well..depends how close to the ocean you live. Inland expect a ton of rain. Guess there is a tornado or two but not persistent. Take your chances I say. It's better than paying state taxes for stupid government programs and illegal immigation. At least here it seems more money goes into schools. Not tomention a lot of schools in Cal are portable classrooms. What's up with that? California quality is slipping. It used to be awesome but I don't like it too much anymore.

Old 09-01-2008, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 9,887 times
Default Houses and taxes

I came here from Long Island 15 years ago. Houses and taxes are a real bargain. I pay about $1000 a year for more than an acre with a custom home on it in a golf course community. My house in NY costs $9,000 a year in taxes.

Yikes. Glad I moved.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:58 PM

21,956 posts, read 21,479,927 times
CA or NC? Lived in CA for the first 55 years and now NC---I'll take NC any day!

Old 09-06-2008, 02:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,799 times
Having moved here a couple of years ago from SE Pennsylvania to the Raleigh area, I can say that it was a good move. If you are in the IT industry, you will likely end up near the RTP, where jobs are good and home prices you can appreciate. Good luck with your plans and hopefully, welcome to NC.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 702 times
Default Should we stay or should we go?

Im so glad I found this thread, thank you to all that have contributed! I live with my family of 6 in So Cal, where we have lived our entire lives. The company I work for just moved across country to Asheville, NC. I just got back from 10 days there training the new staff....and even though my husband and kids were in So Cal waiting for me to come back I was so sad to leave! I've never felt that way before...NC was just so beautiful, the people were nice, the weather wasnt as humid as I thought it would be (I was there from July 17-26 - is it worse in August?), accents were cute...I could go on and on. We stopped on the side of the road so I could take pictures of some of the many creeks and rivers for my husband (he likes to fish) and while we were standing on the side, drivers would wave at us! I was shocked! Just a nice, friendly wave and it melted my heart. My friends were laughing so hard at me - I guess Ive just been in CA so long I didnt realize how nice people can be.
We have a 13 yr old boy, 9 yr old boy (who happens to have Down Syndrome), 8 yr old boy and 7 yr old girl. It would be quite an upheaval to move us all...but Im excited at the prospects. My husband and I go back in mid September to take a more serious look. The company I work for is internet based, so I will be able to work from my home in San Diego. I wish my boss would just say, "You HAVE to move to NC to keep your job!" and that would make it all so much easier!
If anyone has anything to say about the fishing there - my husband would appreciate the info!
If anyone has any connection with the Down Syndrome "family" in NC - I would appreciate the info!

I dont want to bash CA, its still the Golden State in my heart and you cant beat riding a beach cruiser along the SD boardwalk...but we are up for a kick-start to our lives and Im hopeful that NC can do just that!

Old 07-31-2013, 09:47 PM

19 posts, read 41,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful So Cal Family View Post
Im so glad I found this thread, thank you to all that have contributed! I live with my family of 6 in So Cal, where we have lived our entire lives. The company I work for just moved across country to Asheville, NC. I just got back from 10 days there training the new staff....and even though my husband and kids were in So Cal waiting for me to come back I was so sad to leave! I've never felt that way before...NC was just so beautiful, the people were nice, the weather wasnt as humid as I thought it would be (I was there from July 17-26 - is it worse in August?), accents were cute...I could go on and on. We stopped on the side of the road so I could take pictures of some of the many creeks and rivers for my husband (he likes to fish) and while we were standing on the side, drivers would wave at us! I was shocked! Just a nice, friendly wave and it melted my heart. My friends were laughing so hard at me - I guess Ive just been in CA so long I didnt realize how nice people can be.
We have a 13 yr old boy, 9 yr old boy (who happens to have Down Syndrome), 8 yr old boy and 7 yr old girl. It would be quite an upheaval to move us all...but Im excited at the prospects. My husband and I go back in mid September to take a more serious look. The company I work for is internet based, so I will be able to work from my home in San Diego. I wish my boss would just say, "You HAVE to move to NC to keep your job!" and that would make it all so much easier!
If anyone has anything to say about the fishing there - my husband would appreciate the info!
If anyone has any connection with the Down Syndrome "family" in NC - I would appreciate the info!

I dont want to bash CA, its still the Golden State in my heart and you cant beat riding a beach cruiser along the SD boardwalk...but we are up for a kick-start to our lives and Im hopeful that NC can do just that!
Ok it's weird that you just posted here because I posed a similar question a couple minutes ago. I will go back and re-read this thread but it was started years ago so I'm interested to see more recent updates.

We are in a similar boat to you! I'm from So Cal originally and my husband is a bay area native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina