U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 06:23 AM

8 posts, read 4,985 times

Advertisements

I had to find Maxton on the map. I've never been that far south in NC.

We recently returned from a road trip. Our purpose was scoping at areas in NC for relocation purposes. What distressed us most was passing through a small towns downtown only to find most storefronts boarded up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2017, 06:27 AM

2,371 posts, read 1,642,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSU Dad View Post
I had to find Maxton on the map. I've never been that far south in NC.

We recently returned from a road trip. Our purpose was scoping at areas in NC for relocation purposes. What distressed us most was passing through a small towns downtown only to find most storefronts boarded up.
Sadly, the gap between the areas of the state that are really prospering and the areas that are struggling has widened in the last 20-30 years.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:46 AM

6,081 posts, read 7,027,359 times
I think it actually is about poverty. Economic poverty. Probably less than one car per household. Small homes. Yards as well tended as possible when there is no extra money. Not a lot of air conditioning. It creeps someone out because it upsets a world view that there are people who need to live without the comforts and activities many thrive on. NC has a wide gap between those who caught the golden ring and those who are at least for now left behind.

Old 11-05-2017, 07:41 AM

9,950 posts, read 10,234,069 times
I agree that it is about the economy. There just is not a lot of economic opportunity in the rural areas of NC outside of the mountains which does have some tourism opportunities. Southeastern NC is not a scenic draw. Historically it's an agrarian economy heavily dependent on farming. There are hog farms and chicken plants and some peanuts, cotton and tobacco. Ambitious young people from the area, though, want more than that so they move to Wilmington, Greenville, Raleigh, and Charlotte where they can find better jobs.

Old 11-05-2017, 01:35 PM

6,940 posts, read 7,954,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
You need to drive across country to get a new perspective on desolatation which is creepy to you.

NC has Populated towns in every direction every 10 miles including US70 and even I-40 towards Wilmington.

Try parlaying that 20-minute boring stretch near New Bern. Into traversing Kansas or West Texas that lasts almost from sun up to sundown of flat barren landscape, where one house comes into view every 45 minutes and is the only change in the landscape.
Thats great but we're talking about North Carolina here, not Texas or Kansas.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:44 PM

3,382 posts, read 2,952,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
I think his point is rural NC is no different than rural NY or any other rural part of America. I grew up down there, not creepy to me at all. Most people who live in rural places have a keen eye for BS and city slickers. So spouting off at the mouth or braggadocious isn't a good way to start the conversation.

Great food, real food and always love going home because I know the food is about as earthy as it gets (meat, veggies, etc). My 80+ year old parents still don't eat pizza or fast food....absolutely despise it. I usually go down in the Fall to stock up on fresh seafood. I love the smell of the burning leaves and wood in the fall. It's dark, outer space type dark and people who are accustomed to any notion of city lights, it is different or "creepy". Not to me.

Now, I'm an "outsider" and they find me to be sort of creepy but appreciate my city-fide self. But they know I still remember how to harvest tobacco or plant a row of butter beans, sweet corn or okra. It is boring to most but an extremely peaceful existence. It is beautiful countryside but do think my area is a bit more fortunate due to proximity to Wilmington which is seeing growth. It is unique because parts of the topography might remind you of Kansas but it just the coastal plains. Flat, open, piney, swampy....God's country.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 11-05-2017 at 08:53 PM..

Old 11-05-2017, 09:22 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,984,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
And this forum is not for pointless replies like yours.

Old 11-05-2017, 09:43 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,984,653 times
My God, NC had so many small towns that they can’t all flourish into the future.

One area’s gain is another’s loss.

I’m used to dying rural towns growing up in Louisburg, FranklinCounty, NC.

But slowly Franklin County is experiencing a reversal of its fortunes with Raleigh inching closer, and the towns of Franklinton, Youngsville, Bunn and Lousburg have over 200 year histories of boom & bust cycles.

I think the US70 corridor is Eastern NC is far from dead.

Heading Into NE NC Farmville and Williamston and Edenton seem increasingly forgotten.

My doctor friend had to practice in Warren county for a couple of years, and that is another place in time, many outhouses are still in use as seen going to Lake Gaston, and... (originally Franklin and Warren were one county called Butte)

My friend said that poor women used a slice of sweet potato for diaphragms. It’s neat to know that sweet potato must not cause infections easily.

It’s kinda smart and eco friendly, lol.

Old 11-06-2017, 02:43 AM

459 posts, read 250,225 times
Poverty is more depressing than creepy

Old 11-06-2017, 06:27 AM

8,354 posts, read 12,057,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudduck View Post
Poverty is more depressing than creepy
I was going to say something similar. We drive to Florida fairly often and since we live off 15-501, we follow 501 down until we get it down until we get to South Carolina. And there are places along the route that are isolated and depressing to me, although not necessarily scary or creepy. I've driven it by myself a few times with just my kids, and I always think, "please don't let me break down here" because sometimes there is just nothing around but cotton fields.

ETA: I will say that it may be creepy at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or