U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:35 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,215,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCKatie View Post
Looking at all the other Southern states in this forum it is obvious that North Carolina is hands down the most popular Southern state for transplants.

Out of curiosity, I'm wondering what it is about N.C. that is so attractive.
A few other Southern states have the same criteria that has been stated over and over in the NC forum. i.e mountains AND the coast, cities with cultural oportunities, and small cities close enough in to enjoy some city conviences.

Georgia has both mountains and the coast, South Carolina has a beautiful coast and is very close to the NC mountains, Alabama has a mountainous region along with a beautiful gulf coast, a desirable city (if you haven't visited Birmingham in the last several years you have no idea), and Mobile is 45 minutes from the coast and is beautiful. Tenn has beautiful mountains, a progressive city and is full of music history from country to the blues. I can understand Mississippi as they are still digging out from the hurricane as well as Lousiana. And neither of them have the mountain aspect to their states.

I guess what I'm saying is the Southern states all have a lot to offer and nobody seems to realize that. This is in no way a slam to any of you relocating. Heck, WE relocated because we had no choice, this is where my husbands job took him during the tech bust of the ninties and jobs were hard to find anywhere for his expertise.

So if you are so inclined and are not offended by my asking, why are other southern states not as desirable to you if you are educated in what they offer as well as here.

Honestly, I could be happy in any of them but happiest in my home state, one of which is listed above.
North Carolina is slightly more liberal than other southern states, and it has better public universities. It has more coastline and more mountains than other states.

Some say that the economy is the reason people move here. I think it is a chicken-egg type scenario, hard to isolate what factor caused NC's high rate of economic growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 02:49 PM

620 posts, read 1,921,048 times
Compared to most other southern states, North Carolina (and Georgia - mostly because of Atlanta) is a progressive, pro-growth/pro-business state. A lot of businesses move here and as a result so do lots of people... then the word starts to get out and even more people move here. Add to the mix that it's more affordable than most places, you have multiple decent sized metro areas, you get a touch of winter but they are not brutal, several well-known/great colleges, you have the coast and the mountains, it's a central location on the East Coast and bam, that's why NC is so popular.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:44 PM

3,935 posts, read 7,523,217 times
It's not quite as hot.

Old 08-10-2009, 09:04 PM

21,093 posts, read 23,910,510 times
For us it was like they say---

You really cannot describe it, but you SURE know it when you see it!

Old 08-11-2009, 07:16 AM

240 posts, read 494,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscott2009 View Post
As a native...born and bred...I honestly dont see the big deal with North Carolina...It is not "all that".. TRUST ME..when i say this... Actually looking to move to the Southwest ...Nevada/Arizona/Colorado....i've visited several times...just find myself being drawn to the Southwest.

You know. I was considering Denver, Colorado myself. I am not originally from NC, but I had to grow up here; blame my folks for that one I'd admit it's better than some other places out there though (i.e. New York City just for the cleanliness factor.) However, it still lacks a lot of what the ''big cities'' usually have (i.e. more of a selection of good restaurants/stores/you name it.) A lot has changed here since the 1980's. Hopefully, I will be moving out soon. The only city in the whole state which comes close to that is Charlotte. Good luck!

Old 08-11-2009, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,203 times
How is the accounting and non profit jobs down there?

Old 10-10-2009, 10:27 PM

4 posts, read 15,763 times
I would consider 5 states to move to. Nc, Tn, Ky, Va, and Wv. I am not tied to any state. Each has plusses and minusses.

Tn has more winter. Risk of snow that stays awhile and feel really cold.
Wv the same thing, but lower taxes.
Ky, may be alright, but I want a V.A. hospital I could go to and they are in million population cities.
Nc has higher sales taxes, but being lower income may be better for me on property taxes.
Va looks about the same as Nc except for having lower crime rates.
Va has lower unemployment and taxes overall.

Mountains, no thanks, they use extra gas going up and down and around every day. Ocean, No chance I can afford to live anywhere near there. Big cities, I ruled out the whole state of Kentucky because of those. I want, no need to find a place with a city under 50,000, preferably about half that.

Where I will finally choose comes down to 2 things. 1. price of what I want to buy. 2 tax costs.

Yes, I did drive and look at a few parts of Nc and Va. Decent weather, decent people, and half decent prices.

Florida, way to hot. Sc and Georgia, same thing. Cool those states a bit and I would consider them also, but I doubt it will happen. Once you get to Pa you get winter again. The 5 states I mentioned just seem to be the ones that get not to hot, not to cold, and not much snow.

Old 10-11-2009, 08:49 AM

21,093 posts, read 23,910,510 times
Location, Location, Location.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:14 AM

6,196 posts, read 14,236,954 times
The OP posted his question 3 years ago. Things have changed.

NC isn't as popular as it once was -- due to the recession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or