U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 07:29 AM

4,606 posts, read 3,022,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Traffic in the Triangle (and Charlotte for that matter) is several orders of magnitude worse than the Triad
I agree. I've driven through both areas and the Triad is normally smooth sailing (unless there's a crash or construction) while the Triangle is a parking lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2017, 08:06 AM

10,676 posts, read 11,296,076 times
Nah, the Triad is horrible. We have a family home in Boone and drive on I-85 between here and there a lot. There is always a slow down around Greensboro and Winston. Every single time. We were there in the middle of the day this past Friday, tons of traffic, got stuck again. Coming home on Sunday, another slow down. It's really wretched. I don't like driving in Raleigh either, but it's starting to just be ridiculous around G-boro and Winston. We get down to like 10 mph and stopped all the time. In Raleigh, when I'm there, the traffic may be heavy, but it moves. People may be crazy drivers — don't doubt that, but I don't get stuck in Raleigh like I do in Greensboro and Winston. It may be a function of when I'm driving in Raleigh which is not typically rush hour, but I'm not typically driving in rush hour around Greensboro and Winston either.

At any rate, I think the best idea is really just to find the job first and then figure out where to live. If you can live close to work and keep your commute off the major roads you should be fine.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:10 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Nah, the Triad is horrible. We have a family home in Boone and drive on I-85 between here and there a lot. There is always a slow down around Greensboro and Winston. Every single time. We were there in the middle of the day this past Friday, tons of traffic, got stuck again. Coming home on Sunday, another slow down. It's really wretched. I don't like driving in Raleigh either, but it's starting to just be ridiculous around G-boro and Winston. We get down to like 10 mph and stopped all the time. In Raleigh when I'm there the traffic moves. People may be crazy drivers, but it moves.
Oh please. To claim the Triad has worse traffic than the Triangle is absurd. Especially based on your personal, anecdotal experience.

Here's some actual data:

How North Carolina cities ranked in terms of hours spent in traffic congestion in 2016 (city, global rank, time)

Charlotte(286): 23.4 hours
Wilmington(400): 19.2 hours
Raleigh(432): 18 hours
Durham(778): 9.5 hours
Winston-Salem(830): 8.8 hours
Fayetteville(922): 7.1 hours
Greensboro(1,035): 4.2 hours

Old 11-16-2017, 08:11 AM

What are you basing your claims on if not personal anecdotal experience?

BC1960, thanks for editing your post and adding that. Where is it from?

Again, just live close to the job and you won't have to deal with traffic! Maybe spend some time looking at traffic patterns on Google Maps and don't live in areas where you're going to have to go on roads that turn red frequently. Stick to the green ones!

At any rate, I don't think I would recommend Pinehurst or any of the other places you mentioned, really.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
What are you basing your claims on if not personal anecdotal experience?
https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...es-to-n-c.html

How North Carolina cities ranked in terms of hours spent in traffic congestion in 2016 (city, global rank, time)

Charlotte(286): 23.4 hours
Wilmington(400): 19.2 hours
Raleigh(432): 18 hours
Durham(778): 9.5 hours
Winston-Salem(830): 8.8 hours
Fayetteville(922): 7.1 hours
Greensboro(1,035): 4.2 hours

Old 11-16-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleexplorer View Post
The type of city/town I hope to live is the type of town that I can bike and run outside, have a decent size yard (at least .3 acres), with safe parks close by to take my kids to in the future. Not looking for a city that has a lot of traffic nor high in crime. Suburbs are preferred.
This sounds exactly like Cary, barring the somewhat contentious issue of traffic. Cary is super safe, super family-oriented, great biking trails, and the epitome of suburban. It's also close enough to Raleigh to do some fun stuff for young single folks. Plenty of diversity.

Greensboro is about twice the size of Cary. It can be a fun city, too.

Pinehurst is very popular with retirees and military families looking to avoid living in Fayetteville.

For another town of that size you might look at Chapel Hill and Carrboro or Pittsboro or Hillsborough. Not sure of your budget.

Closer to Charlotte, Davidson and Cornelius maybe? Or you could go up toward Asheville and Boone if you like the mountains.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:32 AM

Something the OP might want to keep in mind is that all NC cities, including Charlotte, are basically giant suburbs. They are very different from many northeast and midwest cities in that regard. They have (relatively) tiny urban cores, surrounded by suburban development. You don't have to live outside the city to experience suburban life.

Old 11-16-2017, 05:47 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,654,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Something the OP might want to keep in mind is that all NC cities, including Charlotte, are basically giant suburbs. They are very different from many northeast and midwest cities in that regard. They have (relatively) tiny urban cores, surrounded by suburban development. You don't have to live outside the city to experience suburban life.
What he said.

I don't want to get into a peeing contest about traffic, but one's experience driving through an area on the interstate is not the same as a local resident's daily experience.

Regarding the Triad, I can't speak from personal experience about Greensboro, but traffic in W-S is nothing compared Raleigh or Charlotte. Of course with the upcoming rebuilding of Business 40 through the middle of W-S, there will be a period of temporary traffic headaches.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:51 PM

20 posts, read 18,688 times
Did you end up moving to Pinehurst? We are looking at a job in Pinehurst - have 3 children. We visited and fell in love with the town and feel like it would be a dream for children to grow up there. Loved the Village, Country Club and houses around the village. There seems to be a lot of trail and hiking close by - we love spending time outside as a family. We also love the safe, small town feel with charming local shops and restaurants. It is nice that there are several colleges within 2 hours. You are also in a great location for weekend beach or mountain trips. Curious what you decided....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina