Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where are you from?
MA 12 6.00%
NY 23 11.50%
Northeast 26 13.00%
DC/Nova 5 2.50%
VA/NC and points southward 27 13.50%
FL 24 12.00%
Midwest 19 9.50%
CA 23 11.50%
West Coast 8 4.00%
Other- please specify 33 16.50%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 07:29 PM

421 posts, read 347,855 times

Advertisements

Born in NY, now live in AZ moving to NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2006, 08:31 PM

653 posts, read 2,986,218 times
hmmm... being an Army brat makes this question a little harder! I was actually born in Fayetteville (Bragg) and moved before I was a year old. Moved every couple years or so until I moved out and my parents, *gasp*, moved back to Fayetteville! So, my parents live in the town in which I was born - but I never did.
Both of my parents' families are from Florida, though, as is my husband, so I voted Florida. That's where we went to school, met, fell in love (awwwwww) etc etc etc.
Lost a job, moved to NC, never moving back!!!!!

Old 12-11-2006, 08:55 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighRob View Post
What? No "native NC" option?

Born and raised in Winston-Salem...moved to Raleigh in '95 for college, and been here since.
You are included in the "south" category.

I'm trying to figure out why there is a New York, Massachusetts; and "Northeast" (which I would consider inclusive of the other 2)

Old 12-11-2006, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,789 times
Me and hubby are 44 yrs old/47 yrs old....Born in Ca, Stuck and existing in Nevada, hoping to move to NC by next spring/summer and start life completely over..new hometown, new careers, enjoying life, etc etc

Old 12-12-2006, 01:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
I have to say.... the states that people seem to be the most fed up with right now are the ones that were BOOMING only a few years ago (and in many ways still are); Nevada, Arizona, and especially Florida. These are all "sunbelt" states with healthy economies and relatively low cost of living (with the exception of Florida), where everything is "shiny and new" and they were only a few years ago considered to be (just as NC is now), the "it" places to relocate too..... don't you guys think you will end up feeling the same thing about NC in a few years? I guess I can understand wanting to leave the desert for the greenery of the east coast; but it doesn't seem like that's what is bothering most people; and it doesn't apply to Florida.

Old 12-12-2006, 01:38 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
I have to say.... the states that people seem to be the most fed up with right now are the ones that were BOOMING only a few years ago (and in many ways still are); Nevada, Arizona, and especially Florida. These are all "sunbelt" states with healthy economies and relatively low cost of living (with the exception of Florida), where everything is "shiny and new" and they were only a few years ago considered to be (just as NC is now), the "it" places to relocate too..... don't you guys think you will end up feeling the same thing about NC in a few years? I guess I can understand wanting to leave the desert for the greenery of the east coast; but it doesn't seem like that's what is bothering most people; and it doesn't apply to Florida.
We went from NC to AZ, yep it is still booming here!! Enjoying life more!! Although I can understand getting outo f Nevada!!

Old 12-12-2006, 02:39 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
I always cringe a bit when asked where I'm from as I am never sure exactly how to answer. I was born in Cambridge, MA but grew up in San Tome, Venezuela. Then lived in Pittsburgh, PA & Princeton, NJ before moving to Houston, TX. Except for a couple of years when my husband (he's from Springfield, MA) was in the service in CA, we have lived here in Houston.

But we're heading for NC the moment he retires!

Old 12-12-2006, 06:06 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,054,484 times
Born in Tehran, grew up in DC area, lived in NC (Greensboro) for 12 years. Now back in DC Metro(northern VA) after 3 years in Indianapolis. I'd head back to NC in a heartbeat if I could find a job!! I love North Carolina!

Old 12-12-2006, 11:53 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,270,213 times
What the heck. I reckon I'll respond to this one.

I was born in Wilmington, NC. Lived in the Southport/Boiling Spring Lakes area until I was 7. Moved to Tulsa, OK. Moved back to Southport when I was nearly 9. Moved to Garner, NC shortly after that.

Moved to Raleigh when I was 10; Dale City, VA when I was 12 (didn't like it there); Medina, OH when I was 15 (not bad, but way too cold); Conroe, TX (north of Houston) when I was 17; Greensboro, NC when I was 18 (a month after graduation).

Then it was Pleasant Garden, NC at age 19; Hope Mills (Hopeless Mills), NC when I was 20; Randleman, NC (though actually much closer to Pleasant Garden and Level Cross) when I was 20.

Got married at age 21 (nearly 22) and moved to Pleasant Garden at age 22. Then to La Grange, NC when I was 23 and back to Greensboro, NC when I was 24. That was 9 years ago and I've been here ever since.

When you add it all up, I've lived in NC most of my life and in the Greensboro area for about 15 years - longer than I've lived anywhere else. I have no intentions of moving again. (Except to a different house when we're able.) I love it here in Greensboro.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:48 AM

50 posts, read 197,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
Glad you made Florida the exception. Feel like I should express my reasons for wanting to move from Florida to NC. Florida is a great place to live if you've got money and can afford to live close to the water. Unfortunately, . that is very few of us. The only time I have a view of the water is when I drive over bridges or get in my car and drive 20 minutes to the nearest decent beach. You know the water is there, and on a good day you can smell the water (not a good thing if red tide is out there) or see a seagull, but the Florida coasts are quickly becoming where the wealthy live while everyone else is getting pushed into the center of the state. Don't get me wrong...if you want to rent you can get a nice place walking distance to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world, but if you want to own you can say bye bye to the beaches. Some people move here and happily make the 20-30 minute commute to the beach each weekend and think they've found paradise, but I guess I'm at a different point in my life. I've got fair skin and see a dermatologist every 6 months, get overheated now when the heat used to never bother me, and really don't care if I never see a palm tree again. I'm one of those people who is now middle aged and desires the opposite of what I grew up with. Now I want seasons, cold weather, woods, snow, etc. Of course, the affordable housing doesn't hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina