U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 02:46 PM

5,421 posts, read 5,362,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyh View Post
Yes, sir. Gut feeling says my life style is going to change drastically and I have no clue if I am going to like it or not. I never lived in a smaller quieter places like that. Also social circles I am used to are not going to be available to me (they would have been in Chapel Hill / Triangle for example) so that would be a challenge. But upscale area like Summerfield seems livable to me, too quiet however.

Everything is a trade off.
I agree with Big Aristotle, you'll be fine in Greensboro and I would not base my decision on stereotypes about areas of the state. As far as Greensboro suburban communities yes Summerfield and Oak Ridge have a lot of higher income residents but you said it may be too quiet. Why not just live in the city? You'll find more upscale apartments and amenities in Greensboro that fit the lifestyle you are describing. Since you prefer urban, check downtown Greensboro. There are a number of upscale apartments and condos for rent. There may even be some condos for rent in the Center Pointe tower downtown. One thing about downtown is that you'll be within walking distance of upscale restaurants, theater, performing arts and entertainment. I dont know what your budget is but coming from Boston which is a more expensive area, I would think just about anything in Greensboro would fit your budget. There are other upscale areas of town as well. Check out the Starmount/Friendly Center area or the Irving Park area which are upscale established neighborhoods. There are some fairly new upscale apartments in North Greensboro near North Elm St. But if you are looking for "city living" , I would live in the city, not a bedroom community or a suburbs.

Check out the Village Lofts at North Elm in north Greensboro. It's an upscale residential/ lifestyle retail village. While it's not downtown, this is one of the better complexes in the city. The residential portion is controlled and gated. Upscale retail, restaurants and 24 hour grocery store within walking distance.

Encore North, a nearby luxury apartment complex.

Greenway at Stadium Park downtown
complete with electric car charging stations. There is complimentary fresh coffee, hot coco and assorted teas by the cup for residents from 6am to 6pm daily. There are a few breweries, nice restaurants and Deep Roots Grocery Store within walking distance. Deep Roots is like a mini Whole Foods.

City View Apartments downtown

View from CityView Apartments

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-06-2018 at 04:15 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2018, 04:11 PM

692 posts, read 440,182 times
Quote:
Yes, sir. Gut feeling says my life style is going to change drastically and I have no clue if I am going to like it or not. I never lived in a smaller quieter places like that. Also social circles I am used to are not going to be available to me (they would have been in Chapel Hill / Triangle for example) so that would be a challenge. But upscale area like Summerfield seems livable to me, too quiet however.

Everything is a trade off.
Oh it will change, rest assured. If your instincts are telling you to live in or near Chapel Hill and the Triangle, then maybe you should follow your instincts. I sense hesitation about moving to Greensboro and there may be a good reason for it.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
Oh it will change, rest assured. If your instincts are telling you to live in or near Chapel Hill and the Triangle, then maybe you should follow your instincts. I sense hesitation about moving to Greensboro and there may be a good reason for it.
His lifestyle is going to change drastically no matter where he moves in NC unless he moves to Charlotte, the only true big urban city in the state. But that's too far of a commute back and forth to Greensboro. Chapel Hill is way too much of a college town and if he were to live in the Triangle, particularly closer to Raleigh east of RTP, work in Greensboro he would have to get up at least an hour earlier because rush hour traffic in the Triangle is a killer at the begin and the end of the day. The traffic there is worse than Charlotte. In Greensboro and he won't have to sit in traffic for 45 plus minutes. Just doesn't make sense. And then there is the mileage he'd put on his car and the gas traveling back and forth to work everyday. Its just not worth it. The Triangle is not that much better than the Triad to go through all that. Durham would be a worse choice than Greensboro. While it has upscale amenities, it has more of a smaller town feel than Greensboro and a higher crime rate.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-06-2018 at 04:44 PM..

Old 01-06-2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
His lifestyle is going to change drastically no matter where he moves in NC unless he moves to Charlotte. But that's too far of a commute. Chapel Hill is way too much of a college town and if he were to live in the Triangle, particularly closer to Raleigh, work in Greensboro he would have to get up at least an hour earlier because rush hour traffic in the Triangle is a killer at the begin and the end of the day. Live in Greensboro and he won't have to sit in traffic for 45 plus minutes. Just doesn't make sense. And then there is the mileage he'd put on his car and the gas.
Do you personally know the OP and his lifestyle? Has he selected you as his real estate agent and/or tour guide?

As usual, you act as though you're the expert on all cities within NC, which you're clearly not.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Do you personally know the OP and his lifestyle? Has he selected you as his real estate agent and/or tour guide?

As usual, you act as though you're the expert on all cities within NC, which you're clearly not.
He has pretty much stated what he is looking for and what he would look for in the Triangle he can find in the Triad. I love the urban lifestyle but I would never make such a daily commute driving 70 plus miles to work each day. That would get very old very fast. Most people in this thread are telling him to check Greensboro out because the area has enough of an urban atmosphere not to live all the way in Raleigh. Boston is a very different place and big city. He is not going to find Boston in North Carolina so no matter where he lives it's going to be a lifestyle shock because the truth is, compared to Boston, the Triangle is also a smaller and more quiet area. This is why everyone is suggesting rent first. If he does not like Greensboro he can pick other more drastic options. Like I said I would not make important decisions like that based upon stereotypes about certain cities or areas.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-06-2018 at 05:10 PM..

Old 01-06-2018, 04:53 PM

Quote:
He has pretty much stated what he is looking for and what he would look for in the Triangle he can find in the Triad.
Well if that's true, then let him figure that out on his own. He's perfectly capable of coming to his own conclusions and doesn't need your constant photos to prove how "upscale" Greensboro can be.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:57 PM

451 posts, read 555,993 times
Quote:
Thanks!
From what I understood so far Raleigh has more things to do than Greensboro.
From NC, and have either lived/worked and/or played in all 3 (Greensboro/Triangle/Boston). The difference between Boston-to-Greensboro vs. Boston-to-Raleigh will be negligible.

Before I get swarmed, I'm not saying GSO and Raleigh are identical. I'm saying that the drop off from Boston to either, from an urban feel/amenities perspective, won't be much different.

Jobs are a completely different story. I'm a seasoned IT professional and feel like I cannot move back to GSO because of the lack of opportunity in the field, for people at my current career stage. I keep an eye on it as a lot of my family is there.

As your wife well knows, there is a difference between 'Help Desk' type work and Developer/Engineer/Analyst/Management. There may be an "IT" job or two in Greensboro, but all IT is not the same.

Old 01-06-2018, 04:59 PM

451 posts, read 555,993 times
Quote:
His lifestyle is going to change drastically no matter where he moves in NC unless he moves to Charlotte, the only true big urban city in the state.
On a serious note, have you been to both Boston and Charlotte? There will indeed be a drastic change... perhaps one that is easier to manage, sure.

"Big urban" simply looks and feels differently up that way, because it is.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold15 View Post
On a serious note, have you been to both Boston and Charlotte? There will indeed be a drastic change... perhaps one that is easier to manage, sure.

"Big urban" simply looks and feels differently up that way, because it is.
Exactly. Charlotte is nothing like Boston. Anyone who knows these cities would agree that they are very dissimilar culturally.

Just because Charlotte has a large population and impressive skyline does not put it on par with cosmopolitan, world-class cities like NYC and Boston. Anyone who believes that it does should actually take a trip outside of NC (for once) and actually spend some time in a big city up north.

Old 01-06-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Exactly. Charlotte is nothing like Boston. Anyone who knows these cities would agree that they are very dissimilar culturally.

Just because Charlotte has a large population and impressive skyline does not put it on par with cosmopolitan, world-class cities like NYC and Boston. Anyone who believes that it does should actually take a trip outside of NC (for once) and actually spend some time in a big city up north.
He will make his own decision but people are making suggestions and MOST people here say find an apartment in Greensboro first to see how he likes it. But obviously it does depends on his wife finding an IT job in the area and she can look beyond the boundaries of Greensboro. Nearby Winston-Salem also has IT related jobs which is a growing sector in that city. The photo tour was to make sure he doesn't have the impression that he will find Sheriff Taylor and deputy Barney Fife at the courthouse and to show that the Triangle and Charlotte are NOT the only areas in the state where he can find upscale urban amenities.

Of course Boston is not like Charlotte, that's why I said in my last post he won't find Boston in North Carolina. When I made the reference to Charlotte I was saying it has more of a bigger city feel and would have more of the amenities he has in Boston compared to the Triangle and the Triad. Besides that the two cities are nothing a like.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-06-2018 at 05:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina