Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2018, 10:32 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I made the same comment recently on the Greenville forum (that I think Greenville has a better downtown than Asheville) and you posted this response:

'We agree here. I love Greenville's downtown area.'

Anybody can get on Google maps street view, or visit, and decide for themselves. No desire to debate it with you.

I don't dislike Asheville's downtown.

I would prefer to live in Asheville compared to most places but I also think it is overrated as a city, due to the mountain location. I think basically every city that gets a lot of tourists due to proximity to beach or mountains is overrated.
Are you talking about Greenville, SC, or Greenville, NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2018, 10:12 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Are you talking about Greenville, SC, or Greenville, NC?
Greenville SC.

A person posted upthread that Asheville is like NC's version of Greenville SC.

In my view, that isn't true because Greenville is similar in size to Columbia and Charleston, and Asheville is smaller than the other major metros in NC.

Greenville has a larger job market than Asheville to include more white collar jobs.

Asheville is known as a major tourism and retirement destination. Greenville gets some tourism, especially since Falls Park was created, and people retire here but generally it is not associated with tourism and retirement.

Many people view Asheville NC and Greenville SC as polar opposites because it has a liberal reputation and Greenville has a conservative reputation.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-07-2018 at 10:21 AM..

Old 01-07-2018, 11:39 AM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
Greenville SC.

A person posted upthread that Asheville is like NC's version of Greenville SC.

In my view, that isn't true because Greenville is similar in size to Columbia and Charleston, and Asheville is smaller than the other major metros in NC.

Greenville has a larger job market than Asheville to include more white collar jobs.

Asheville is known as a major tourism and retirement destination. Greenville gets some tourism, especially since Falls Park was created, and people retire here but generally it is not associated with tourism and retirement.

Many people view Asheville NC and Greenville SC as polar opposites because it has a liberal reputation and Greenville has a conservative reputation.
Per Wikipedia, estimated 2016 population:

Asheville pop 89,121 median family income $44,029
Greenville pop 67,453 median family income $44,125

Per Sperling's Best Places, Asheville has a more highly educated population:

Asheville 4 yr degree: 44.98%; masters: 11.8%; doctoral: 1.67%
Greenville 4 yr degree: 41.47%; masters: 9.66%; doctoral: 2.09%

While Asheville is considered liberal for the South, 55% of eligible voters are registered Democract while 43% are registered Republican, per Sperling. Relatively speaking, not quite as liberal as some might think (but certainly more liberal than Greenville).

Last edited by Lizap; 01-07-2018 at 12:25 PM..

Old 01-07-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Per Wikipedia, estimated 2016 population:

Asheville pop 89,121 median family income $44,029
Greenville pop 67,453 median family income $44,125

Per Sperling's Best Places, Asheville has a more highly educated population:

Asheville 4 yr degree: 44.98%; masters: 11.8%; doctoral: 1.67%
Greenville 4 yr degree: 41.47%; masters: 9.66%; doctoral: 2.09%

While Asheville is considered liberal for the South, 55% of eligible voters are registered Democract while 43% are registered Republican, per Sperling. Relatively speaking, not quite as liberal as some might think (but certainly more liberal than Greenville).
There are more white collar jobs in Greenville than Asheville. It is a major engineering job market in the country.

You are citing city population, not metro population. SC has strict annexation laws. Greenville is the most populated county, MSA and CSA in the state of SC. Greenville's urban population was over 400,000 back in 2010.

I'm curious...why didn't you explain your contradiction yesterday?

A lot of the people with degrees living in Asheville are retirees so that isn't evidence of a better job market.

Old 01-07-2018, 01:36 PM

6,632 posts, read 4,300,748 times
Quote:
There are more white collar jobs in Greenville than Asheville. It is a major engineering job market in the country.

You are citing city population, not metro population. SC has strict annexation laws. Greenville is the most populated county, MSA and CSA in the state of SC. Greenville's urban population was over 400,000 back in 2010.

I'm curious...why didn't you explain your contradiction yesterday?

A lot of the people with degrees living in Asheville are retirees so that isn't evidence of a better job market.
We're discussing the cities of Asheville and Greenville, not metro areas. You keep saying there are more white collar jobs in Greenville. The data I've seen show that the number of professional positions is not significantly different. Where are you getting your information?

Old 01-07-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
We're discussing the cities of Asheville and Greenville, not metro areas. You keep saying there are more white collar jobs in Greenville. The data I've seen show that the number of professional positions is not significantly different. Where are you getting your information?
I'm discussing metros not cities. It makes sense to talk about job markets in terms of metro.

I don't think my comment about the respective job markets would be controversial to most people who are familiar with both metros. I've seen people say the same thing on the Asheville and Greenville forums.

You seem real eager to debate Greenville vs Asheville. Why don't you start a new thread about it or revive an old one?

This topic is about NC cities.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 01-07-2018 at 01:59 PM..

Old 01-12-2018, 01:46 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
Cary - No idea why people move there. It's safe and has plenty of nice homes, but there are plenty of other areas that have the same thing. It lacks any sort of character. Driving in the city is a complete disaster.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:19 AM

571 posts, read 715,552 times
Quote:
Completely disagree about Asheville. Not only is it one of the top cities in NC but one of the top in the entire U.S.
I agree. I love that town sooo much. I haven't lived in NC in years, but visit often and go to Asheville every several years. Wonderful place.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:25 AM

Quote:
I have nothing against Asheville but if it was not located in the mountains, I don't think you would hear much about it.
Located in the mountains containing some great art deco architecture. Great man-made beauty surrounded by wonderful natural beauty -- the perfect combination -- and infused with great live music, art, food, and one of the grandest historic sites in the nation (Biltmore House). It has something to offer for just about anyone. I fail to see where it's lacking. For a place to be overrated, it needs to be deficient somehow.

Old 01-13-2018, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I don’t really think you understand what overrated means but I’ll tell you putting Asheville on a bunch of listicles and sites no one has heard of pretty much clenches it.
Sites nobody has ever heard of? Conde Nast, Southern Living, Lonely Planet, Expedia, U.S. News & World Report, Trip Advisor, Travel & Leisure? You must be living under a rock if you haven't heard of these.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina