U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 04:13 PM

4,755 posts, read 3,109,573 times

Advertisements

I wasn't sure which forum to post this is in, so I figured since I-95 is heavily traveled by locals and out-of-staters, I'd put it in the main forum. Anyhoo...

Two bridges over I-95 in Johnston County are getting replaced in preparation for the upcoming widening project.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=14727

Quote:
Crews will be replacing two bridges over Interstate 95 in Johnston County as part of a $53.1 million contract for improving the freeway.

Contract crews for the N.C. Department of Transportation will close the Bizzell Grove Church Road bridge in Micro on Monday, Jan. 8. Then, on Monday, Jan. 22, they are scheduled to close the Lizzie Mill Road bridge north of Exit 98 in Selma. Both bridges are more than 58 years old and, although they have remained safe, they have become functionally obsolete, which means they no longer meet the needs of today’s traffic.

The new bridges, which will open in summer 2019, will be long enough to accommodate plans to widen the interstate to eight lanes, starting in 2026, between mile markers 81 and 71.

When the bridges close, the following detours will be implemented:

For Bizzell Grove Church Road, motorists should use Lowell Mill Road, Micro Road and East Main Street in Micro; and

For Lizzie Mill Road, traffic will take Batten, Campground and Myrtle roads into downtown Selma.

The bridge replacements are part of a contract that NCDOT awarded in November to Fred Smith Co. of Raleigh to resurface I-95 between mile markers 100 and 107. The project includes replacing about 80 sections of concrete below the asphalt surface. The work will continue to require periodic lane closures overnight through next spring.

For real-time travel information, go to DriveNC.gov, or follow NCDOT on Twitter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 08:16 AM

Upcoming traffic pattern shift.

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=15022

Quote:
The paved shoulders along a two-mile leg of Interstate 95 in Johnston County will need to narrow this week as part of ongoing construction.

If the weather allows, northbound travelers will follow a traffic shift, starting Friday, April 9, between mile markers 100 and 102 north of Selma. Contract workers for the N.C. Department of Transportation need the extra room to safely build a new median and permanent concrete median barrier.

About a week later, the same shift will occur in the southbound direction. In the coming weeks, motorists can expect similar shifts and narrower shoulders north of mile marker 102 as part of the overall project.

Transportation officials remind motorists to be alert and obey speed limits and work-zone postings.

Fred Smith Co. of Raleigh is replacing original concrete sections underneath the pavement, rebuilding the median and resurfacing the interstate between mile markers 100 and 107. The project also includes replacing two bridges – at Lizzie Mill Road and Bizzell Grove Church Road – with longer and higher spans.

For real-time travel information, go to DriveNC.gov, or follow NCDOT on Twitter.

Old 06-06-2018, 05:39 AM

Federal grant to help widen I-95, turn U.S. 70 into interstate | News & Observer

Old 06-08-2018, 04:07 PM

This press release from NCDOT contains a link to the project page:

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/...s.aspx?r=15330

Old 08-21-2018, 03:58 AM

A public meeting is being held in Lumberton on August 28 to discuss rebuilding the Carthage Road interchange (Exit 19).

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...pen-house.aspx

Old 10-01-2018, 08:17 AM

A contract will be awarded next spring to widen a stretch of I-95 from 4 to 8 lanes. Two public meetings will be held later this month to discuss the project. Details here:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...-to-begin.aspx

Old 10-09-2018, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
A contract will be awarded next spring to widen a stretch of I-95 from 4 to 8 lanes. Two public meetings will be held later this month to discuss the project. Details here:

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...-to-begin.aspx
The first meeting in Benson has been postponed due to expected bad weather from the remnants of Hurricane Michael.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...postponed.aspx

Old 10-09-2018, 08:27 PM

6,145 posts, read 2,871,283 times
Isnt I-95 in NC one of the least travelled portions of the highway? Why is it being widened?

Old 10-10-2018, 04:35 AM

1,200 posts, read 843,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Isnt I-95 in NC one of the least travelled portions of the highway? Why is it being widened?
The section in question carries between 55,000 and 63,000 Vehicles per day, slightly less than the Durham Freeway gets in some sections.

The stretch from Fayetteville to Benson is an older stretch of highway that is a hassle to drive on (Short Bridges, Floridian Drivers mixed with New York Drivers, and in the case of Dunn two exits that are close to each other).

Old 10-11-2018, 05:12 AM

440 posts, read 501,385 times
Also, I-95 has been basically the same road since it was built in 1980, but traffic has increased dramatically, it's not designed to handle truck traffic well and the medians are too small compared to other highways. It's unsafe on many portions too, especially aging bridges that cross it. And while out-of-staters mainly use the route, it doesn't give our state a good image for anyone who has to endure the three-hour drive on it due to its frequent congestion and some tight exits to boot.

Read more about it here: https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i-95-...ighlights.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or