U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 10:53 AM

110 posts, read 125,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
Ugh... spiders... not my favorite. I guess there has to be some less desirable things about NC, right? Now I'm wondering if I need to be worried about my dogs being bitten by spiders or other critters? Of course I'll be careful myself, but at least if I get bit I'll know it and do something about it. With the dogs, they can't tell me if something happens to them... so does anyone know if spiders bite dogs? And what about snakes, while we're on the topic of icky, dangerous things? Are there poisonous snakes I need to worry about in NC? And how about bears? My fiancé is terrified of bears...
Poisonous snakes are everywhere in this country. Spiders do bite dogs-usually on the muzzle. So if your puppy gets a swollen face-probably a spider. If their behavoir is okay and they are still eating and jumping around they are fine, otherwise take them to a vet! (All spiders are venomous-not all are aggressive) We have bears and cougars here in FL. I am sure they are there too. But NC doesn't have alligators!!!! Whoo Hoo!!! No Gators!!! I can't wait!!!! ( I get so excited over the smallest things!)
Tell your fiance to carry a "pic-a-nic" basket and yogi won't bite him!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2006, 11:08 AM

192 posts, read 593,004 times
Quote:
Are there poisonous snakes I need to worry about in NC? And how about bears? My fiancé is terrified of bears...
Angelaf...

Distribution of poisonous snakes in North Carolina:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:NbjT4VXEcXYJ:www.ces.ncsu.edu/nreos/wild/wildlife/wdc/snakes.html+poisonous+snakes+of+nc&hl=en&gl=us&ct= clnk&cd=1 (broken link)

Distribution of bears in North Carolina:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:h6X4SXDlfL8J:www.wildlife.state.nc. us/pg07_WildlifeSpeciesCon/pg7b5.htm+distribution+bears+nc&hl=en&gl=us&ct=cln k&cd=1 (broken link)

Some info on Poisonous snakes, insects & plants in North Carolina:

http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:qLkg904lNesJ:www.ncdot.org/doh/operations/division6/PDF/FieldGuide.pdf+distribution+poisonous+spider+nc&hl =en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4 (broken link)

As for your dogs (and yourselves!)...read up on ticks which spread rocky mountain spotted fever & lyme disease in NC. Additionally I'd make certain they were rabies vacinated, which is the law in NC for dogs & cats.

ticks in NC...
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:HtSzNhGX5UUJ:www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/ticks.htm+++ticks+nc&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1 (broken link)

rabies in NC...
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:9lURXWCiPv4J:www.epi.state.nc.us/epi/rabies/+rabies+nc&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1 (broken link)

Quote:
But NC doesn't have alligators!!!! Whoo Hoo!!! No Gators!!! I can't wait!!!! ( I get so excited over the smallest things!)
We certainly do have gators in NC, but nothing remotely close to the numbers in FL.

check it out...
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:cVFSbFLCsOEJ:nc-es.fws.gov/reptile/alligat.html+alligators+nc&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd= 2 (broken link)

I'm not suggesting that you should be afraid of them...but you might be surprised to know we also have coyotes & red wolves, skunks, wild pigs & bobcats.

Last edited by Marka; 05-01-2006 at 12:13 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 04-30-2006, 11:19 AM

167 posts, read 854,916 times
Thanks guys... I don't know anything about Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever but I'll look into it. My dogs are vaccinated against Lyme disease and rabies and whatever else the vet thinks they need.

Wild pigs?!? Jeez... that's crazy! Are they aggressive? We have skunks here, rare sightings of black bear, and coyotes but mostly they stay away from people.

Last edited by Marka; 05-01-2006 at 12:14 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 04-30-2006, 11:26 AM

192 posts, read 593,004 times
wild pigs...

like I said...I make no suggestion to be afraid of them. They are here, but it would be quite rare to see one.

Old 04-30-2006, 11:31 AM

They're sort of cute, in an ugly way...

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg07_Wildl...Con/pg7f1d.htm

Old 04-30-2006, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckydog
We certainly do have gators in NC, but nothing remotely close to the numbers in FL.

check it out...
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:...s&ct=clnk&cd=2
What???!!!!!!! I am crushed!!!!!! I will check out the site. WWWWWAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!
(we live near a lake (Jessup) that has over 40,000 gators in it. It is part of the St John's river system so these gators are free to roam. Needless to say, we don't wake board in the St. John's.)

Old 04-30-2006, 12:50 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,666,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzM
Poisonous snakes are everywhere in this country. Spiders do bite dogs-usually on the muzzle. So if your puppy gets a swollen face-probably a spider. If their behavoir is okay and they are still eating and jumping around they are fine, otherwise take them to a vet! (All spiders are venomous-not all are aggressive) We have bears and cougars here in FL. I am sure they are there too. But NC doesn't have alligators!!!! Whoo Hoo!!! No Gators!!! I can't wait!!!! ( I get so excited over the smallest things!)
Tell your fiance to carry a "pic-a-nic" basket and yogi won't bite him!
What happened to the alligators of Southeastern NC? I remember one that used to hang around the U.S.S. North Carolina (Cape Fear River) and loved to be fed chicken backs by the tourists. Also, when I lived in Lumberton in Robeson County about 30 years ago, we had some in the Lumber River. The state wildlife folks used to do studies of them.

In my current county, (Henderson) outside of Asheville, we are starting to have a problem with coyotes. Coyotes are not native to Western North Carolina. They arrived in the region about 20 to 30 years ago from Tennessee.

Last edited by mm34b; 04-30-2006 at 01:12 PM..

Old 04-30-2006, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
In my current county, (Henderson) outside of Asheville, we are starting to have a problem with coyotes. Coyotes are not native to Western North Carolina. They arrived in the region about 20 to 30 years ago from Tennessee.
What kind of problems are they causing? Are they dangerous to people, pets? I'm leaning toward the Asheville/Hendersonville area IF we can find jobs there, but we'll most likely live outside of town... will our dogs be targets for coyotes? They're 60 and 70 pound pit bulls and I'm sure the coyotes would be sorry if they messed with them, but I'd hate to see that happen...

Old 04-30-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
What happened to the alligators of Southeastern NC? I remember one that used to hang around the U.S.S. North Carolina (Cape Fear River) and loved to be fed chicken backs by the tourists. Also, when I lived in Lumberton in Robeson County about 30 years ago, we had some in the Lumber River. The state wildlife folks used to do studies of them.

Lucky corrected me. They are in SE NC. It is illegal to feed a wild alligator here. I am scarded to death of them. last year someone found one under their car and when the animal control people were trying to get it out, it ripped a chunk of the back bumper right off the car. check it out
http://www.lookatentertainment.com/v/v-1475.htm (broken link)
If you have never come face to face with one, I think it may rank right up there with a bear when it comes to the fear factor

Old 04-30-2006, 02:53 PM

5,661 posts, read 24,666,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
What kind of problems are they causing? Are they dangerous to people, pets? I'm leaning toward the Asheville/Hendersonville area IF we can find jobs there, but we'll most likely live outside of town... will our dogs be targets for coyotes? They're 60 and 70 pound pit bulls and I'm sure the coyotes would be sorry if they messed with them, but I'd hate to see that happen...
The coyotes will attack domestic dogs and cats and they will sometimes attack small livestock such as goats. We lost two miniature horses recently in the Hendersonville area. They are most active between dusk and dawn.

Coyotes do not run in packs, such as wolves, but they can stay together as family groups. Coyotes will breed with dogs and can interbreed with any dog.

It is legal in the state of North Carolina to kill a coyote at any time of year in defense of person or property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzM
Lucky corrected me. They are in SE NC. It is illegal to feed a wild alligator here. I am scarded to death of them. last year someone found one under their car and when the animal control people were trying to get it out, it ripped a chunk of the back bumper right off the car. check it out
http://www.lookatentertainment.com/v/v-1475.htm
If you have never come face to face with one, I think it may rank right up there with a bear when it comes to the fear factor
I think most black bears and alligators would rather not have any interaction with people, but if they feel threaten with your presence, they'll let you know it, especially if they feel they can not easily escape due to the terrain or having their young ones nearby. If you leave food out or feed them, they'll will come back for more.

Last edited by Marka; 05-01-2006 at 12:16 AM.. Reason: merged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina