U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 03:10 PM

787 posts, read 3,323,628 times

Advertisements

I was living in Franklin County for brief time in 1991. The house that I was staying in was our family's vacation house. It is in Lake Royale near the Buun, NC area. When I was taking something out the back door which required walking down several steps, I got to the bottom and saw this huge dog. Well, being nearsighted that is what I thought it was. Come to find out it was a bear cub. I didn't wait around to see his mother. I just got my butt back in the house. But the area is heavily wooded and I guess they belong there. Clearly I didn't. Eventually I got back to where I came from, Greene County, NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2006, 09:04 PM

2,560 posts, read 6,080,233 times
We are very familiar with Coyotes here in So Cal. In fact about a month or so ago I was letting my lab out the front door and 3 of them ran by. Sometime they sound like children crying. People mostly lose their smaller dogs although one charged my husband and lab and then ran off. When you see a lost cat sign you pretty much know they aren't lost. We actually had 2 raccoons in our backyard a couple of weeks ago. Of course possoms, snakes, lizards and we saw one tarantula in the field. I was wondering about the Lyme's disease also. I will have to make sure the cat and dog get shots before we head out. We have ticks here too, talk about discusting. Although I never saw my husband get undressed so fast in his life after he found a tick under his shirt! LOL

Old 05-01-2006, 10:57 AM

16 posts, read 67,993 times
If you have problems with coyotes and have livestock, you need to get a donkey! The natural enemy of donkeys are dogs/coyotes and they will dispatch them in short order if possible.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:13 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,684,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie Mae
If you have problems with coyotes and have livestock, you need to get a donkey! The natural enemy of donkeys are dogs/coyotes and they will dispatch them in short order if possible.
Llamas work too. They hate coyotes.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:19 AM

167 posts, read 855,435 times
So if I get a llama and/or a donkey, they will protect the property?

Old 05-01-2006, 11:22 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,684,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelaf
So if I get a llama and/or a donkey, they will protect the property?
Both will go after coyotes given the opportunity.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:34 AM

167 posts, read 855,435 times
That's awesome. I can't wait to get there. I love, love, love llamas. I'm skipping my college graduation ceremony next weekend so I can go to a Llama Magic festival. I'll learn how to buy, raise and care for llamas and alpacas. We'll probably rent for a while when we get to NC, until we're sure we like whatever area we end up in, and then try to find a house with some acreage so we can have a llama and a gray donkey. My fiancé really wants a buffalo but I don't know how feasible that is.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:19 PM

62 posts, read 162,830 times
Default More info about ladybugs?

Can you provide more info about the "invasion" of ladybugs? Are they everywhere or just certain areas. I have been looking in the Raleigh area; Clayton, Garner etc, and no one I have spoken with has mentioned them.

Also have been looking around Mebane. Same questions.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:27 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,910,301 times
Starting in about November and lasting through about February... they dfinitely invade in central NC. They are looking for someplace to get out of the cold during winter when the rest of the bugs are dead (never really understood why all the other bugs died out in winter and they didn't). They come in from under the windosills, under the doors, and every little crack they can find. You will usually find sheets of them in your light fixtures.

Old 06-01-2006, 10:51 PM

80 posts, read 437,822 times
Yeah there are lots of Ladybugs they are good luck LOL... They invaded my house and leave in the spring. The bears arent a problem if you dont have stuff for them to snack on. I have been hunting the coyotes and they are still over populating. They kill cats ,small dogs , and small livestock. They are larger than the western variety some weight upto 60 pounds. There are some poisionious snakes around but they are mostly in wooded areas or along creeks in summer.
These are a few things I dont like #1 Chiggers, they are a invisible biting bug and you dont know you have been bitten till its too late (usually they bite you where the sun dont shine). #2 Bald faced Hornets they build the big nests. They will chase you for no good reason. And # 3 Yellow Jackets usually found working in the yard they live underground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina