Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2008, 04:09 PM

19 posts, read 132,168 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I know NC is quite a scholastic area with many universities and colleges. I'm a professional software development contractor, free to live where I may. I'm in my later 20's and was just looking for some advice about exciting and enjoyable places to live in NC state. I'm from WA and have lived in CA a bit as well.

I was thinking about studying part time towards an MBA but haven't chosen a school or anything, it's not my immediate focus. I already hold a degree in computer science. Specifically the places that stood out to me were Chapel Hill / Durham area as well as Wilmington.

I guess I'm looking for some opinions. What is your opinion on where to live in your late 20's, where you can meet some good fiends and generally enjoy life. I'd be looking for, you know, places to go out and have fun, restaurants, singles, nice weather and such.

Does anyone feel strongly about where / where not to be in NC for a life like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2008, 04:19 PM

59 posts, read 151,564 times
As a late 20's male working in the same field as you, I would suggest the Triangle area first and foremost. If not there, Charlotte and possibly the Triad area. Anywhere else and you will be bored out of your mind both professionally and socially.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Base on your career and what you are looking for I would lean on the Triangle area.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:13 PM

Ahh, nice. What's the deal with Wilmington. This seems like a pretty great place on paper, pretty etc. It doesn't really look like a retirement community, and being close to the beach is always nice.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:53 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Wilmington is nice but base on your career field jobs will be very limited it mostly a service sector type jobs. Pay scale is weaker than other areas and the cost of living in this area is high.

Old 03-21-2008, 09:25 PM

Yah, I am not really looking for work though. I'm able to work remotely over the internet full time so getting a job is not really a concern. Its really more about the people and the environment. I'd be looking for nice people to hang out with, nice girls and a bit of nightlife. The kind of place that is closed up shop at 9pm or dead on sundays is probably too slow for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina