Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What NC city do you find to be overrated?
Charlotte 50 28.09%
Ashville 36 20.22%
Raleigh 59 33.15%
Durham 19 10.67%
Greensboro 20 11.24%
Winston-Salem 10 5.62%
Wilminington 20 11.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 12:44 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
1) SC never spent on building protective infrastructure for "worst case scenarios", and that was very evident during the 2 day flooding event that highlighted almost nothing ever done to protect against deadly flooding.
You're talking about the thousand-year flood that happened in Columbia which is very much an inland city? Did you really cite a freak weather event that almost never happens? In that case NC is in the same boat when it comes to major snowstorms it has been unprepared for over the years, including the one from a few years ago that hit Raleigh--and those happen with more regularity. Smh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 05:11 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
4) Zaxby's diners in Harrisburg wearing freshly-purchased overalls is something you won't see in the Triangle.
Well, at least they were just purchased! Deeper into Cabarrus County, further away from Charlotte, you might have even seen someone wearing old overalls.

By the way, you can't always let outward appearances like that fool you. Some very wealthy people with a blue collar background dress that way to sometimes intentionally throw people off.

Last edited by Jowel; 08-26-2018 at 05:22 PM..

Old 08-26-2018, 07:37 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Every single major city in the country turned down the 2020 RNC except Charlotte, which was an embarrassing call. It really betrays that they're so needy to be seen as a major city that they're totally clueless about how a major city postures itself. I think this gaff is a great analogy for everything Charlotte has done over the years.

That said, Charlotte's voters are smarter than that, and I think they will probably clean house the next time they get a chance, in retaliation. The same way Raleigh's voters cleaned house after some embarrassing characters hijacked their schoolboard and made a mockery of the city.

This is pretty hard to believe.
Well, yes, I now live in Durham (just got back from DC then to Charlotte to Durham)...Hope Valley Farms area. I fell in love with the Woodcroft/Hope Valley Farms area back in the 80s. I have lived off and on in RTP area for the past 35 years...Raleigh (Western Blvd area..) and Chapel Hill (15-501). Charlotte was new for me so I wanted to learn more about it, especially about Cam Newton/Panthers threads. There really is nothing I need to learn about Raleigh/Durham although I read a lot of the threads. Charlotte was nice but I still prefer the Durham-Chapel Hill area. I like Raleigh ok enough but it's missed out on so many opportunities...like the PNC arena in the field instead of downtown, etc etc. I would rather hangout in North Hills or downtown Durham than downtown Raleigh. But that's just me so others would differ because I know people (from Raleigh/Cary) that start shaking like a leaf when anyone mentions Durham...other than maybe Southpoint, Duke Univ or Durham Bulls.

Charlotte might've torn down a lot of history but that downtown is worlds ahead of Raleigh when comparing vibrancy and energy. And the only other cities in NC that I would compare in terms of downtown energy are Asheville and Wilmington (both are much more touristy). I do think Durham, Greensboro, Winston and Raleigh have come along way...good things happening in all the downtowns in NC...that's why I think all are slightly underrated.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:06 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,823,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
By the way, you can't always let outward appearances like that fool you. Some very wealthy people with a blue collar background dress that way to sometimes intentionally throw people off.
Yep. I knew a few in eastern NC that were that way. They would dress like they ain’t got a pot to p*ss in or a window to throw it out, yet their wallets were deep. Farming is lucrative.

What’s really funny is that I‘ve seen some buy brand new trucks and yet refuse to haul anything in the beds. You’d see a new truck going down the road with nothing in the bed while towing a trailer that’s loaded to the max. You’d think bedliners would calm their fears of scratching the paint, but nope! Lol.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:48 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,967,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Well, yes, I now live in Durham (just got back from DC then to Charlotte to Durham)...Hope Valley Farms area. I fell in love with the Woodcroft/Hope Valley Farms area back in the 80s. I have lived off and on in RTP area for the past 35 years...Raleigh (Western Blvd area..) and Chapel Hill (15-501). Charlotte was new for me so I wanted to learn more about it, especially about Cam Newton/Panthers threads. There really is nothing I need to learn about Raleigh/Durham although I read a lot of the threads. Charlotte was nice but I still prefer the Durham-Chapel Hill area. I like Raleigh ok enough but it's missed out on so many opportunities...like the PNC arena in the field instead of downtown, etc etc. I would rather hangout in North Hills or downtown Durham than downtown Raleigh. But that's just me so others would differ because I know people (from Raleigh/Cary) that start shaking like a leaf when anyone mentions Durham...other than maybe Southpoint, Duke Univ or Durham Bulls.

Charlotte might've torn down a lot of history but that downtown is worlds ahead of Raleigh when comparing vibrancy and energy. And the only other cities in NC that I would compare in terms of downtown energy are Asheville and Wilmington (both are much more touristy). I do think Durham, Greensboro, Winston and Raleigh have come along way...good things happening in all the downtowns in NC...that's why I think all are slightly underrated.

You're an odd fellow. If downtown Raleigh did not exist, I would have moved a long time ago. While I love living in Carrboro, and I've spent a great deal of time in Durham, I'd grow tired of the area eventually if that's all it was. So it's nice to have a larger city with a lot more stuff in it nearby to hop over to.

North Hills is a characterless office park with a mall. Nothing special about it. Whatever floats your boat though.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:51 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
You're an odd fellow. If downtown Raleigh did not exist, I would have moved a long time ago. While I love living in Carrboro, and I've spent a great deal of time in Durham, I'd grow tired of the area eventually if that's all it was. So it's nice to have a larger city with a lot more stuff in it nearby to hop over to.

North Hills is a characterless office park with a mall. Nothing special about it. Whatever floats your boat though.

Not as odd as someone digging through someone else's posting record. I do stuff in and around Raleigh, there's just nothing that compelling downtown Raleigh to get me there often. The NHL and many other events are at the PNC which isn't downtown. What's so exciting about downtown Raleigh right now? Lots of potential though. The Durham Bulls are in Durham.

Old 08-28-2018, 11:55 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Not as odd as someone digging through someone else's posting record. I do stuff in and around Raleigh, there's just nothing that compelling downtown Raleigh to get me there often. The NHL and many other events are at the PNC which isn't downtown. What's so exciting about downtown Raleigh right now? Lots of potential though. The Durham Bulls are in Durham.
Lol I have to say it seems your "dislike" of downtown Raleigh or whatever you want to call it, tends to center around PNC arena not being downtown. Or that you're a Durham Bulls fanatic. Ok. Yup that's one opportunity missed out on. Maybe that will change sooner then later. But other then that downtown Raleigh has pretty much everything amenities wise you could want in a downtown. Its not Charlotte's uptown. But I would also put it a tier above the rest of the NC cities. To say there's nothing exciting about seems like a pretty belittling thing to say as it continues to grow in residents and activities faster then any other NC city besides uptown Charlotte. It almost suggests a hint of jealousy perhaps??

Regardless DTR is a great place right now for families and adult entertainment. Even for tourism. I think dtr has like 3 or 4 of the top 10 most visited attractions in the state. There's an Imax. You have Red Hat. The performing arts center. Obviously the museums. Tons of highly rated restaurants/lounges/bars. Constant stream of events etc etc.

Both downtown Durham and Raleigh are cool places to hang out. But continually using the Durham Bulls as the main reason DTD is so much more attractive is a very subjective way to look at it. Surely you understand that for a pretty large majority, that doesnt hold much weight. Other then that they're pretty similar places to spend a day/evening in. Raleigh has more but if you just simply prefer one or the other for a particular reason that's cool.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:20 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Downtown Winston Salem is very underrated

Old 08-28-2018, 02:36 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,394,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Lol I have to say it seems your "dislike" of downtown Raleigh or whatever you want to call it, tends to center around PNC arena not being downtown. Or that you're a Durham Bulls fanatic. Ok. Yup that's one opportunity missed out on. Maybe that will change sooner then later. But other then that downtown Raleigh has pretty much everything amenities wise you could want in a downtown. Its not Charlotte's uptown. But I would also put it a tier above the rest of the NC cities. To say there's nothing exciting about seems like a pretty belittling thing to say as it continues to grow in residents and activities faster then any other NC city besides uptown Charlotte. It almost suggests a hint of jealousy perhaps??

Regardless DTR is a great place right now for families and adult entertainment. Even for tourism. I think dtr has like 3 or 4 of the top 10 most visited attractions in the state. There's an Imax. You have Red Hat. The performing arts center. Obviously the museums. Tons of highly rated restaurants/lounges/bars. Constant stream of events etc etc.

Both downtown Durham and Raleigh are cool places to hang out. But continually using the Durham Bulls as the main reason DTD is so much more attractive is a very subjective way to look at it. Surely you understand that for a pretty large majority, that doesnt hold much weight. Other then that they're pretty similar places to spend a day/evening in. Raleigh has more but if you just simply prefer one or the other for a particular reason that's cool.

To be fair about the slight against downtown Raleigh, uptown suffers the same slights as well as any area with newer developments (IE, in DC Navy Yard & Waterfront can be maligned because they are newer, tons of new development.)

“Durham” type people are generally going to have snarky remarks about newer developments or newer areas. It’s not as “authentic” to them. You’re never going to convince some people the glitz & glam, no matter how awesome or active or whatever is as good as the older more gritty areas or cities.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:35 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
To be fair about the slight against downtown Raleigh, uptown suffers the same slights as well as any area with newer developments (IE, in DC Navy Yard & Waterfront can be maligned because they are newer, tons of new development.)

“Durham” type people are generally going to have snarky remarks about newer developments or newer areas. It’s not as “authentic” to them. You’re never going to convince some people the glitz & glam, no matter how awesome or active or whatever is as good as the older more gritty areas or cities.
Yeah and I get that. Loved Detroit for that when I lived in MI. I'm just not sure that's even what he's talking about. DTD>DTR because the Durham Bulls. Ok. Then North Hills > DTR. Lol I love North Hills but c'mon. Then also citing that DTR doesn't have the PNC arena downtown so basically nothing makes it special. Huh? I'm totally cool with people having their opinions but eventually it just starts sounding like bashing for the sake of bashing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina