Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What NC city do you find to be overrated?
Charlotte 49 27.68%
Ashville 36 20.34%
Raleigh 59 33.33%
Durham 19 10.73%
Greensboro 20 11.30%
Winston-Salem 10 5.65%
Wilminington 20 11.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 08:27 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,293,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I chose Greensboro because it seems pretty well known. Maybe because historically I guess it was a pretty important NC city or because it actually does have plenty of events or I’ve noticed NC transplants always seem like they are from GSO.

And Greensboro, I think is a poor representation of our state. I know that sounds terrible, horrible, maybe offensive. It is offensive, really. I think people come to Greensboro and leave our state unimpressed. And if Greensboro is what people think of NC, I want to be like “GSO is part of the triad. It’s a lovely place to live, but there’s also CLT with xyz and the triangle is a very liberal region, etc etc” I honestly would cringe if GSO was our state representative. It’s very well known I think too.

Asheville I think would be overrated simply to it being soooo hyped up. With good reason. It’s a place people truly love. That said, all the praise raises the expectations.

Chapel Hill - same boat as Asheville. Though Chapel Hill May leave room for disappointment because I feel like it’s a place you live. Not necessarily visit. If you came to visit, I feel like you might be slightly disappointed if you’re expecting the Asheville experience.

————-

Wilmington isn’t much talked about. It’s a lovely city, nice beaches. Not too much on people’s Radar. So it might exceed ones expectations.

Charlotte has pretty low name recognition. People have very low expectations I feel expecting a Jacksonville FL or even a Greensboro type. People are usually extremely impressed due to low expectations, how big and bustling the city is, the light rail, etc.

Raleigh, sorta the same as CLT but in a different way. I feel like it’s a city people may think of as being a Greensboro old school NC place. Perhaps backwards and conservative. Then they get to see the culture of the cities (RDU area) and end up liking the scene.

————

Winston-Salem (which I like more than GSO personally) seems, and it’s harsh so prepare yourself, is irrelevant. I think it’s fairly irrelevant. It’s like Schenectady, NY. Who really cares? (Schenectady has a population density of 6000+, Winston slightly less than 2000. Metro Schenectady metropolitan area is 1.2 million people, the entire Winston/Greensboro Triad combined Population is 1.6 million) I mention that only to point out It’s not like Schenectady is some small town of 18,000 people.

Those are my honest opinions. Hopefully people understand I’m not trying to be offensive just to bet a jerk but to offer my honest assessment
Actually, G'boro is an excellent representation of NC. Your opinions are absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2019, 08:23 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,618,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
I respect your opinion, but I'd disagree with Greensboro's name recognition if we're talking nationally. Maybe people have vaguely heard of Greensboro, but most have no real clue about it in my experience. People often get it confused with Greenville, SC (or maybe NC?) There's the ACC tournament and a few other events that may get occasional press, but otherwise, what reference would someone from out of state have to really identify Greensboro? I don't see anyone being aware of Greensboro from OT but having no knowledge of Raleigh/Charlotte.
Why do you have to hate on G'boro, man? Anything to discredit the Gate City, I guess.

Old 09-04-2019, 08:57 PM

412 posts, read 143,527 times
Surprised Raleigh is winning.

What makes it overrated?

Old 09-04-2019, 09:00 PM

412 posts, read 143,527 times
IMO All these places are nice so it's hard to pick.

Asheville is probably the right answer. So many homeless and it's a bit too liberal

Old 09-04-2019, 10:04 PM

230 posts, read 227,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Why do you have to hate on G'boro, man? Anything to discredit the Gate City, I guess.

You really went back a whole year to up this thread for trolling purposes? I'm sorry I hurt your feelings in the other thread, man but come on. Hopefully you'll take the advice I offered. You're better than this

Old 09-05-2019, 04:36 AM

Quote:
You really went back a whole year to up this thread for trolling purposes? I'm sorry I hurt your feelings in the other thread, man but come on. Hopefully you'll take the advice I offered. You're better than this
No hurt feelings, no trolling, lol. Just wondering why you hate G'boro man?

Oh, and by the way, I'm not the least bit interested in your advice. About anything.

Last edited by Edward Teach; 09-05-2019 at 05:22 AM..

Old 09-05-2019, 07:49 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,335,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie15 View Post
Surprised Raleigh is winning.

What makes it overrated?
I changed my opinion and voted Raleigh in the poll. Mostly because it was split from Durham. I think Durham is a key part of the Triangles (and Raleigh’s) accolades. Take Durham out of the picture, then I think Raleigh would be overrated because a lot of the good about the Raleigh area is Durham. And same with Durham - without Raleigh and it’s economic prowess, etc. I think it would be overrated. Together, I think they are rates fairly good.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
No hurt feelings, no trolling, lol. Just wondering why you hate G'boro man?

Oh, and by the way, I'm not the least bit interested in your advice. About anything.

I interest you enough to dig through months of my postings for no other reason than to troll with snarky remarks. Hurt feelings indeed..adding "lols" don't hide that. I honestly pity you.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
I interest you enough to dig through months of my postings for no other reason than to troll with snarky remarks. Hurt feelings indeed..adding "lols" don't hide that. I honestly pity you.
Oh yes, you're on to me...boo hoo some big bully on the internet hurt my poor little feelings. I'm so sad, sob sob. You think an awful lot of yourself! Way more than I do. Anyway, your advice is meaningless so why don't you get a new hobby and put me on your ignore list. Thanks!

Oh, and quit damaging G'boro, lol.

Last edited by Edward Teach; 09-05-2019 at 11:07 AM..

Old 09-05-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Oh yes, you're on to me...boo hoo some big bully on the internet hurt my poor little feelings. I'm so sad, sob sob. You think an awful lot of yourself! Way more than I do. Anyway, your advice is meaningless so why don't you get a new hobby and put me on your ignore list. Thanks!

Oh, and quit damaging G'boro, lol.

Nice edit. You had to rework that already sad post to add even "spice" huh ? The hurt is definitely showing. The fact remains, you sifted through a year plus of my posts just to construct a spicy "comeback" to my reply in an entirely different thread. At 5am this morning you were still going. The sun wasn't even out. Had you even had breakfast yet? The ignore function is a great idea. I know you allegedly don't care about my advice, but how about you take your own?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina