U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What NC city do you find to be overrated?
Charlotte 32 24.24%
Ashville 29 21.97%
Raleigh 44 33.33%
Durham 14 10.61%
Greensboro 15 11.36%
Winston-Salem 9 6.82%
Wilminington 17 12.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 07:45 PM

2,846 posts, read 1,964,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila greer View Post
They have all these little towns Boone and yadkinville sparya And thereís nothing in those towns but confederate flags. Why not just combine those cities into one big city and make the encouraging strong. People drive 30 minutes to work and back thatís to much gas and you have to drive way to far to do anything. Charottle is more city and more on point but those little towns yuck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 01:32 AM

2,102 posts, read 2,197,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
I just wander why NC is so popular these days. Plus, why does this state have no real large cities, only medium sized metros.
If you want to taken seriously, you need to address all of the misspelled cities and words.

Wilmington, Asheville and "wonder" are 3 in your first two posts alone!

Old 08-06-2018, 02:13 AM

2,102 posts, read 2,197,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte ePro View Post
thats not nitpicky...

I don't think any are overrated in general, but I voted for Raleigh due to the arrogance most of it's citizens have in respect to Charlotte. They can't stand the fact that Charlotte is a bigger city, and is why they call us "The state of Mecklenburg"
I don't know if you're really talking about legislators in Raleigh not loving Charlotte so much as to give it preferential treatment...

But more and more it's confirmed that Charlotte area folks don't know much of anything about the rest of the state, nor do they travel within it or support it.

If you did, you'd know that Charlotte isn't even mentioned on the local news in the Triangle area but about maybe 10 times in an entire year.

People in Raleigh don't sit around talking about tall buildings or wanting to become a big city. Unequivocally the people who choose to live in Raleigh couldn't care less about all that stuff or they wouldn't be in Raleigh.

Charlotte is only discussed by college students who are from there but going to school in the Triangle.

It's becoming clearer how distorted and mistaken Charlottean's views of what's reality in the state.

They know very little about the state because they obviously assume nothing could possibly be as great as Charlotte, the big little city rising in Appalachia.

I don't blame you for looking down on the surrounding rural areas in the Western half of the state, but I can assure you they do not represent the rest of NC.

The hog farmers and agricultural food producers in Kinston and the Eastern half of the state may be rednecks but they are also taking their boats out on the ocean every weekend and aren't nearly as "deliverance-like" as the former textile worker crowd.is.

So I repeat: Raleigh people aren't jealous of any place in the state, they have no ambition to become more than what they are now, and they don't need any validation for where they live.

The phrase "The Great State of Mecklenburg" refers to many things but in general it speaks to the power, and economic size, force of Charlotte compared to the rest of the state's 99 counties.

I don't see it as having a negative connotation.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:22 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,324,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I don't know if you're really talking about legislators in Raleigh not loving Charlotte so much as to give it preferential treatment...
As an FYI, you responded to a 12 year post from someone who hasn't posted on this site in 11 years.

I really wish old threads would be locked on this site.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:03 AM

3,446 posts, read 3,123,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
As an FYI, you responded to a 12 year post from someone who hasn't posted on this site in 11 years.

I really wish old threads would be locked on this site.
Does he even realize that every time he responds in that manner the Charlotte envy gets exacerbated? I didn't think it existed to that level but it's quite apparent that some Raleigh folks have a tough time accepting the fact that Charlotte is 2x the city size of Raleigh and it shows. I'm not talking about metro area comparison but city v city.

And when did Raleigh folks give a damn about the rest of the state? Other than rural legislatures lobbying for their area. RDU is loaded with transplants, I currently live here (Durham) and do a lot of business in Charlotte, and really don't think people in RDU care much about down east or Mayberry at all...who the hell is he kidding?

Old 08-06-2018, 07:08 AM

2,291 posts, read 1,752,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Does he even realize that every time he responds in that manner the Charlotte envy gets exacerbated? I didn't think it existed to that level but it's quite apparent that some Raleigh folks have a tough time accepting the fact that Charlotte is 2x the city size of Raleigh and it shows. I'm not talking about metro area comparison but city v city.

And when did Raleigh folks give a damn about the rest of the state? Other than rural legislatures lobbying for their area. RDU is loaded with transplants, I currently live here (Durham) and do a lot of business in Charlotte, and really don't think people in RDU care much about down east or Mayberry at all...who the hell is he kidding?
Twice the size no good colleges how does that happen lmao at least they got the panthers

Old 08-06-2018, 07:11 AM

607 posts, read 1,012,804 times
Quote:

He talks about the love for NC, the "great state of NC" in one sentence, and goes on to disparage an entire portion of the state in the next. "Appalachia" (LOL), "textile mill workers (God Forbid!!!). Quite funny. I can see why Raleigh is clearly winning this poll.

Last edited by carolinablue; 08-06-2018 at 07:21 AM..

Old 08-06-2018, 11:13 AM

3,446 posts, read 3,123,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Twice the size no good colleges how does that happen lmao at least they got the panthers
No good colleges? You mean like Yale or Harvard? Come on, Charlotte is bigger city v city and always has been....get over it.

Old 08-06-2018, 11:22 AM

2,291 posts, read 1,752,546 times
Quote:
No good colleges? You mean like Yale or Harvard? Come on, Charlotte is bigger city v city and always has been....get over it.
XD

I like when the 22nd best place to live tells the 13th to get over it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-n...boise-idaho-28

It's just like grade school when someone is more popular and a kid is green and jealous and cant stand it and wonders why no one cares about them.

Charlotte - we got da biggest buildings, da biggest dale ernhardt, and da panthers!!!!!!! Atlanta watch out!!

Old 08-06-2018, 11:23 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,324,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
XD

I like when the 22nd best place to live tells the 13th to get over it.

https://www.businessinsider.com/us-n...boise-idaho-28

It's just like grade school when someone is more popular and a kid is green and jealous and cant stand it and wonders why no one cares about them.
Yes, you are right. This discussion is JUST like grade school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina