Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What NC city do you find to be overrated?
Charlotte 50 28.09%
Ashville 36 20.22%
Raleigh 59 33.15%
Durham 19 10.67%
Greensboro 20 11.24%
Winston-Salem 10 5.62%
Wilminington 20 11.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 11:30 AM

749 posts, read 1,315,621 times

Advertisements

LOL. Cities don't talk. A poster told you to get over it, not a city. I'd imagine your argument would change if you inserted DC(# 25), San Fran(#20) or San Diego(#30) into your little equation from your own article.

What's quite pitiful is your meltdown speaking on grade school popularity contests; something that most grown adults have moved past, but clearly a few posters in the Capital city have not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 07:53 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Twice the size no good colleges how does that happen lmao at least they got the panthers
Raleigh is at least 50% people from smaller NC towns.

Raleigh doesn't try to be anything more than an overgrown small town, which is what NC is compromised mostly of.

At least since you're in Durham you can confirm that the Triangle isn't full of people concerned about becoming a big city, nor do people express any envy or desire to become like Charlotte.

Defending Raleigh and the rest of the state is not the same offense as Charlotte folks thinking they're too good to even belong in NC. I am here just to cut Charlotte folk's ego down to a realistic size.

Perhaps SC is a better fit and Charlotte should change its statehood.

I'm more than justified to be on here and bring the inflated and misinformed opinions back down to earth. like the assertions that Charlotte is in league above that of the rest of the state. True only in ambition, and building heights, and its physical and infrastructure components that are more "large city" than anywhere else in the state.

The biggest misnomer is that Raleigh and points East are more redneck than Charlotte and Western NC.

Annexation, building heights and business travelers haven't made Charlotte more sophisticated than the university-heavy Triangle where living un.derstated is the norm, and old money folks drive Fords but also host Presidential fundraisers at $25,000 per plate.

Nascar, neighboring SC (more primitive than almost all the others), and proximity to Appalachia are huge factors weighing on Charlotte. Together they seem to influence what's considered good style, taste, and clothing and remaining in-step with major US ctiies. (Raleigh doesn't care or try, but the universities keep it somewhat current)

So if Charlotte is twice as big and twice the city that fine. Keep using those statistics and never mention the county populations which are the same or that the Triangle as it was always defined up until recently when census split it into 2 separate MSAs has about 300,000 less people than Charlotte's metro population.

And don't believe for a minute that in 2040 that due to SC counties not being included, that the Triangle is expected to be the most populous region in NC with a population of 3.2 million.

It is grade school and juvenile to defend Raleigh so I'll bow out now from this thread.

Last edited by architect77; 08-06-2018 at 08:15 PM..

Old 08-06-2018, 08:54 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendnc View Post
Large metros are defined as having more than a million people. 52 of the nations 235 metro areas are in that catagory. Metro Charlotte (1,950,000 people in 9 counties), Metro Raleigh (1,420,000 in 6 counties), and Metro Greensboro (1,300,000 in 6 counties). 3 major metros.
If these numbers are correct from 2006, then all I can say is

Looking at the Triangle in comparisons to these numbers, just the two core counties were near 1.4 million in 2017, with 1.07+ million coming from Wake alone. Given the typical growth numbers, they are easily nearing 1.42 million today.

Old 08-06-2018, 09:47 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Raleigh is at least 50% people from smaller NC towns.

Raleigh doesn't try to be anything more than an overgrown small town, which is what NC is compromised mostly of.

At least since you're in Durham you can confirm that the Triangle isn't full of people concerned about becoming a big city, nor do people express any envy or desire to become like Charlotte.

Defending Raleigh and the rest of the state is not the same offense as Charlotte folks thinking they're too good to even belong in NC. I am here just to cut Charlotte folk's ego down to a realistic size.

Perhaps SC is a better fit and Charlotte should change its statehood.

I'm more than justified to be on here and bring the inflated and misinformed opinions back down to earth. like the assertions that Charlotte is in league above that of the rest of the state. True only in ambition, and building heights, and its physical and infrastructure components that are more "large city" than anywhere else in the state.

The biggest misnomer is that Raleigh and points East are more redneck than Charlotte and Western NC.

Annexation, building heights and business travelers haven't made Charlotte more sophisticated than the university-heavy Triangle where living un.derstated is the norm, and old money folks drive Fords but also host Presidential fundraisers at $25,000 per plate.

Nascar, neighboring SC (more primitive than almost all the others), and proximity to Appalachia are huge factors weighing on Charlotte. Together they seem to influence what's considered good style, taste, and clothing and remaining in-step with major US ctiies. (Raleigh doesn't care or try, but the universities keep it somewhat current)

So if Charlotte is twice as big and twice the city that fine. Keep using those statistics and never mention the county populations which are the same or that the Triangle as it was always defined up until recently when census split it into 2 separate MSAs has about 300,000 less people than Charlotte's metro population.

And don't believe for a minute that in 2040 that due to SC counties not being included, that the Triangle is expected to be the most populous region in NC with a population of 3.2 million.

It is grade school and juvenile to defend Raleigh so I'll bow out now from this thread.
So now you are belittling the good folks of South Carolina? Both Raleigh and Durham wanna urbanize and get taller but the demand and resources aren't on the level of Charlotte's current growth trend. Will either get there? Maybe but the area has a nodal structure so the core cities split the wealth so to speak, yet I envision Raleigh hitting a height growth spurt over the next decade....wez a trying. Lots of momentum at North Hills area along with RTP that detracts growth from downtown Raleigh.

If Raleigh ever builds a structure taller than anything in Charlotte, you'll be the first on here touting how it fits within Raleigh's Huckleberry Finn style with Ole Boy Roy William's Awe Shucks it just kind of happened....we still just a big ole Kinston...GTFOH, lol, too funny.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times
Charlotte is “contemporary, mildly posh country” lol ... we’ve discussed this many times . And I don’t think any “city” in NC is even reached a point to be considered overrated.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:52 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,079,965 times
I haven't visited Durham yet, but I'd definitely say the rest of the cities on that list deserve the praise they get. If anything, I find GSO/WS to be a little underrated.

Only thing overrated about any of those cities are the suburbs - the same standard boring fare you get in most suburbs in the southeast. The cores of the cities are great, though.

Old 08-08-2018, 09:00 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I haven't visited Durham yet, but I'd definitely say the rest of the cities on that list deserve the praise they get. If anything, I find GSO/WS to be a little underrated.

Only thing overrated about any of those cities are the suburbs - the same standard boring fare you get in most suburbs in the southeast. The cores of the cities are great, though.
I agree. Anyone relocating to NC cities expecting Chicago or New York City bustle is obviously out of touch with reality, matter of fact most people that move here from large urban environments are seeking a moderate/slower pace lifestyle. And NC cities are more akin to what most of America looks like, a tad urban but mostly suburban/small town/rural.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:24 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Perhaps Asheville.

I work an hour from there, and will often weekend there for recreation, but I don't think I'd like living there.

On a day to day basis, it is EXPENSIVE. I saw regular unleaded for $2.99 off the Old Charlotte Highway Sunday. There are few professional jobs. There are well-known issues with rents being high, salaries being low, and the overall cost of living being high. Shopping is OK - not good, not great, but you'll still need to go to Greenville or Charlotte for some things.

Old 08-09-2018, 05:38 AM

193 posts, read 158,553 times
Ive lived in the Gbro Area for 4 years and honestly found it extremely underwhelming

Old 08-09-2018, 10:02 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,530,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niki View Post
I don't consider any of them overrated. They don't get nearly as much hype as NYC or Boston or Philadelphia or LA, etc.

Also, it doesn't matter to me if NC has any large cities or not. I don't see why that's a big deal. I like that NC doesn't have cities as large as NYC, LA, etc.

I agree. Overrated compared to what? What is a properly rated city/metro? I know everything in America is rated from cars, to appliances, to electronics. What does it mean to live in a "properly rated city?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina