Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What NC city do you find to be overrated?
Charlotte 50 28.09%
Ashville 36 20.22%
Raleigh 59 33.15%
Durham 19 10.67%
Greensboro 20 11.24%
Winston-Salem 10 5.62%
Wilminington 20 11.24%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 02:28 AM

7,189 posts, read 6,815,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Lol....Durham>>>>Raleigh...let's get it started!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 02:11 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
There are those people in certain areas of this state who truly believe that anything next to South Carolina is automatically "behind" their area of NC. I personally know of professionals in Fort Mill who park at the I-485 light rail station and commute into uptown daily for work (and these are decent paying jobs too). To be honest, there are probably more well paid hardcore urbanites in Charleston than there are in most so called sophisticated parts of NC. Heck, downtown Charleston for YEARS had the only Saks Fifth Avenue location in the Carolinas. Charleston was also the only Carolina city important enough to host a political convention (until Charlotte did it nearly 160 years after Charleston). In the discussion of NC vs SC, NC is certainly the more overrated state.
Charleston and SC were among the first and most influential cities in America's early days.

NC was untamed wilderness and still espouses the rural and impoverished conditions that it grew from.

But the governing and state stewardship throughout NC's history (excluding current legislature) is that of the top tier states like NY and FL, as NC has always judged itself by how it compares to the Northeastern states.

You want tangible examples so here are a few:

1) In first half of 20th century, NC at one point had the most paved roads and in the best condition, I might add, in the entire country earning the reputation as "The Good Roads State"

2) North Carolina's state government is regarded as one to emulate, and that's why Bosnia or some Eastern European country sent a team of people to Raleigh for weeks to watch the model that they wanted to replicate back in their country.

3) UNC- first public university in the nation.....NC Museum of Art- first state-supported museum in the country----

4) Good consumer protections for its citizens resulting in caps on injury awards---lowest auto insurance rates in the country.

5) First in the world to install fiber optic cable connecting all 100 counties.

----------------

1) SC never spent on building protective infrastructure for "worst case scenarios", and that was very evident during the 2 day flooding event that highlighted almost nothing ever done to protect against deadly flooding.

2) Charlotte's Amazon HQ2 bid got the urban hipster millennial portrayal all wrong.

3) Lynx light rail and CATS logos aren't cool or similar to major cities elsewhere, its canopies at platforms with every piece curved is not attractive.

4) Zaxby's diners in Harrisburg wearing freshly-purchased overalls is something you won't see in the Triangle.

Eastern NC is full of rednecks, and also full of old money in very old towns and highways like US17 have signs with crests going back to the nation's founding.

But most importantly Raleigh and Eastern NC are happy as they exist now and aren't desperate for recognition or respect for anything they are building or aspire to be.

Why don't we ever hear about strides in education and quality of life aspects from Charlotte boosters? It's nothing but construction, tall buildings, and a desire to disassociate with anything with rural connotations....

Which, in actuality, is the most valuable piece of Charlotte' DNA, that it is part of one of the most beautiful and highly regarded states in the country.

That respect, by the way, comes from all parts of the state, not just Metrolina.

Imagine a lynx train pulling up to platform, and in smaller Helvetica Bold lettering along the upper side:

Metrolina Transit

That would be a great replacement for CATS.

Georgia is far more primitive than NC. It's will always hold Atlanta back because of primitive state functioning and do-nothing past precedent.

Old 08-16-2018, 02:24 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,275,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post

1) SC never spent on building protective infrastructure for "worst case scenarios", and that was very evident during the 2 day flooding event that highlighted almost nothing ever done to protect against deadly flooding.

2) Charlotte's Amazon HQ2 bid got the urban hipster millennial portrayal all wrong.

3) Lynx light rail and CATS logos aren't cool or similar to major cities elsewhere, its canopies at platforms with every piece curved is not attractive.

4) Zaxby's diners in Harrisburg wearing freshly-purchased overalls is something you won't see in the Triangle.

Eastern NC is full of rednecks, and also full of old money in very old towns and highways like US17 have signs with crests going back to the nation's founding.

But most importantly Raleigh and Eastern NC are happy as they exist now and aren't desperate for recognition or respect for anything they are building or aspire to be.

Why don't we ever hear about strides in education and quality of life aspects from Charlotte boosters? It's nothing but construction, tall buildings, and a desire to disassociate with anything with rural connotations....

Which, in actuality, is the most valuable piece of Charlotte' DNA, that it is part of one of the most beautiful and highly regarded states in the country.

That respect, by the way, comes from all parts of the state, not just Metrolina.

Imagine a lynx train pulling up to platform, and in smaller Helvetica Bold lettering along the upper side:

Metrolina Transit

Georgia is far more primitive than NC. It's will always hold Atlanta back because of primitive state functioning and do-nothing past precedent.
Have you not spent anytime in North Durham, Garner or Knightdale? I see overalls plenty enough, seen 'em on the golf course in North Durham. How can Raleigh and Eastern NC simply be happy as they exist? Do you not realize the amount of money Charlotte (shiny bldgs/ tax base) is pumping into the state to buoy all these rural areas?

Why are you so fixated on this fantastical mix notion of being down home without aspiring for growth that is Raleigh (which is bullshat). Other than the legislatures from those areas, nobody in Raleigh/Durham gives a damn about what's happening down east NC. I live in Durham and have a good pulse on the area....where do you live?

Raleigh desires trains, tall buildings and urbanity...only difference Charlotte is doing it versus fantasizing about it. In my opinion, Raleigh is so stuck in a world of confusion....they voted against the choo-choo when both Chapel Hill and Durham supported it (which is moving forward in Durham and Chapel Hill). Raleigh (city) has little to no character/identity, it's the state capitol, that is it....it could be so much more. Please tell me what brand in the city of Raleigh has nationally? Nothing, we have the RTP, Duke and UNC-Carolina (college basketball). Everything in the metro outside the city of Raleigh is the brand. Raleigh isn't even known for Tobacco (Durham and Winston-Salem)...but it is part of Tobacco Road. Help me, I've longed to try to figure that place out.

At least Charlotte is begging for notoriety and working towards something. If not for Durham and Chapel Hill and New Bern had maintained it's Capitol status, Raleigh would simply be Greenville (with NC State instead of ECU)....at least ECU knows how to throw a party.

I almost forgot the Durham Bulls. I used to work for a company in N.Raleigh and had to entertain lots of out of towners. Things they primarily wanted to see/do or had a notion of. Durham Bulls, see Dean Dome and Franklin St., Duke University Campus. One good blessing and notch to Raleigh was Glenwood Ave., that is a good spot to close out the night for drinks and food. However, Raleigh has little to no points of interest.....that needs to change.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 08-16-2018 at 02:55 PM..

Old 08-16-2018, 03:31 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,272 times
Went from a typical charlotte vs Raleigh thread to trying to force a strongly opinionated Durham vs Raleigh thread? Good ol’ city data

Old 08-16-2018, 04:10 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle
At least Charlotte is begging for notoriety and working towards something. If not for Durham and Chapel Hill and New Bern had maintained it's Capitol status, Raleigh would simply be Greenville (with NC State instead of ECU)....at least ECU knows how to throw a party.
Every single major city in the country turned down the 2020 RNC except Charlotte, which was an embarrassing call. It really betrays that they're so needy to be seen as a major city that they're totally clueless about how a major city postures itself. I think this gaff is a great analogy for everything Charlotte has done over the years.

That said, Charlotte's voters are smarter than that, and I think they will probably clean house the next time they get a chance, in retaliation. The same way Raleigh's voters cleaned house after some embarrassing characters hijacked their schoolboard and made a mockery of the city.

Quote:
I live in Durham and have a good pulse on the area....where do you live?

This is pretty hard to believe.

Quote:

• Charlotte: 2266
  • North Carolina: 728
  • City vs. City: 117
  • Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary: 71
  • Atlanta: 47

Last edited by Vatnos; 08-16-2018 at 04:22 PM..

Old 08-16-2018, 04:49 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,341,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Every single major city in the country turned down the 2020 RNC except Charlotte, which was an embarrassing call. It really betrays that they're so needy to be seen as a major city that they're totally clueless about how a major city postures itself.
Needy 6 years after hosting the 2012 DNC for Obama? But in 2012, the narrative was that Charlotte only won because NC voted for Obama in 2008. Today, the narrative is that Charlotte is desperate. So I've gotta ask; what's the narrative for the 2 NBA All Star games, the NRA convention and their 70,000 attendees, and the Final Four that Charlotte has hosted? Maybe (just maybe) Charlotte is the only suitable city in NC for these type of events. Just a thought....

Old 08-16-2018, 05:54 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,390,949 times
Quote:
Charleston and SC were among the first and most influential cities in America's early days.

NC was untamed wilderness and still espouses the rural and impoverished conditions that it grew from.

But the governing and state stewardship throughout NC's history (excluding current legislature) is that of the top tier states like NY and FL, as NC has always judged itself by how it compares to the Northeastern states.

You want tangible examples so here are a few:

1) In first half of 20th century, NC at one point had the most paved roads and in the best condition, I might add, in the entire country earning the reputation as "The Good Roads State"

2) North Carolina's state government is regarded as one to emulate, and that's why Bosnia or some Eastern European country sent a team of people to Raleigh for weeks to watch the model that they wanted to replicate back in their country.

3) UNC- first public university in the nation.....NC Museum of Art- first state-supported museum in the country----

4) Good consumer protections for its citizens resulting in caps on injury awards---lowest auto insurance rates in the country.

5) First in the world to install fiber optic cable connecting all 100 counties.

----------------

Metrolina Transit

I can’t be bothered to read your rant entirely.

But just an FYI. No one thinks all that stuff about Raleigh. At my job, they think UNC is in Charlotte. I don’t think people in close by DC even know where UNC is. Another person said “UNC Charlotte has a great basketball team.”

When people think of Raleigh, they think of it no differently than Jacksonville, Florida. No different from Charlotte or any other city in the south. But I will tell you 2 areas everyone mentions..,. Austin & Buckhead. Austin is mentioned by far of any city.

But no one thinks of Raleigh as a progressive area nor does education come to mind. They might vaguely know it’s tech just like people vaguely know Charlotte is a banking center.

You call the areas around Charlotte redneck.... hate to tell you... your opinions of Charlotte being redneck Is exactly what most people think of NC as a whole. Which includes Raleigh. If you think Charlotte is redneck, god knows what you think of the rest of the state.

But yeah. No one thinks of Raleigh like you do. And this post isn’t to compare clt to Raleigh. I’m not. I’m saying your opinions about Raleigh aren’t shared by anyone except maybe 3 posters.

Raleigh nor Charlotte are really known on a level like Nashville, Austin or New Orleans or Atlanta. Raleigh nor Charlotte are places people go to like NoLa, Dallas, ATL or Nashville or Austin. And most people know nothing of the 2 NC cities other than they’re 2 cities in NC. People literally go to Austin to vacation for the very qualities you think Raleigh has. People from around the country don’t vacation in Raleigh or Charlotte... Why would anyone vacation in Raleigh? And who would want to choose Raleigh over any other city to fly and stay? .... they do for Austin because it’s little hipster scene, indie scene and it’s a cool place etc etc

Some people get the opportunity to move to Charlotte or Raleigh and enjoy it and see all they have to offer. Enjoy the growth and all the pleasures that the 2 cities offer. And people fall in love with these 2 areas. And that’s great. They’re great. But Seriously. Raleigh is a place people learn about from experience or research. Not something in anyone’s mind otherwise.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 08-16-2018 at 06:09 PM..

Old 08-16-2018, 09:48 PM

365 posts, read 499,238 times
Quote:

I've seen you make this statement before. What is an example of a cool transit logo?

Chicago?

San Francisco?

Denver?

In my opinion, there isn't anything cool about them. They are no better than Charlotte's logo.

Old 08-25-2018, 07:41 AM

464 posts, read 523,018 times
Whew, Raleigh ALWAYS brings the heat lol.

I love this city

Old 08-25-2018, 08:30 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
Quote:
. . . . , you'll be the first on here touting how it fits within Raleigh's Huckleberry Finn style with Ole Boy Roy William's Awe Shucks it just kind of happened....we still just a big ole Kinston...GTFOH, lol, too funny.
The “big ole Kinston” ref is probably the funniest line I’ve seen in near 15 years on C-D Forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina