Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 10:22 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatesue View Post
I'm looking to relocate to NC and I was hoping for some helpful tips!
Looking for:
-younger population (i'm 25)
-fairly liberal / democratic / educated residents
-scenic environment
-small to med. size town but still with things to do or adjacent larger towns
To give you some background information on me:
I was born and raised in Western Massachusetts- South Hadley - a small college town part of the 5 college area UMASS, Amherst, Hampshire, Mt. Holyoke, and Smith. There were always cool things going on...I could always catch a farmers market with fresh flowers and veggies, or going hiking right up the street. I would love a place with the same "outdoors" feel but an escape from the cold! I would love a place where I could enjoy the beauty of nature, a slower place, and near some type of water (ocean / lake / pond).
Any insight would be helpful! Thank you
-Sue
Ashville is tha place for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 10:44 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Maybe that sounded more harsh than it was meant. I think CB was just warning Sue that this is not the most "liberal" area. I do think Asheville is less conservative than CLT - as is Chapel Hill.
ok..thats not how it was written at all...look at the post.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:50 AM

6 posts, read 9,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatesue View Post
I'm looking to relocate to NC and I was hoping for some helpful tips!
Looking for:
-younger population (i'm 25)
-fairly liberal / democratic / educated residents
-scenic environment
-small to med. size town but still with things to do or adjacent larger towns
To give you some background information on me:
I was born and raised in Western Massachusetts- South Hadley - a small college town part of the 5 college area UMASS, Amherst, Hampshire, Mt. Holyoke, and Smith. There were always cool things going on...I could always catch a farmers market with fresh flowers and veggies, or going hiking right up the street. I would love a place with the same "outdoors" feel but an escape from the cold! I would love a place where I could enjoy the beauty of nature, a slower place, and near some type of water (ocean / lake / pond).
Any insight would be helpful! Thank you
-Sue
Hey Bud...well Charlotte has a lot of what you're looking for! We have 2 man made lakes connected by a river that many people hang by during the warmer months. We are about 1 1/2 hours from the Blue Ridge mountains which have so many great hiking trails and camp sites. The ocean is about a 3 hour drive from here which isn't bad, and there are plenty of farmer's markets here. I live right up the street from a smaller one which is open on saturday mornings, great small town feel and good local produce! Plus we need more liberals here to spice up the city! Feel free to email me with any questions!

Old 03-24-2008, 02:18 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
FWIW my wife is from Millbury MA and her family is just as, if not more, conservative than my family.
Not all them yankees are bleeding-heart tax and spend liberals!
Being liberal minded isn't about spending lots of money or raising taxes. I consider myself liberal in my thinking only. I try to be more open-minded, and prefer to associate with other open-minded people. Narrow-minded people bother me. I find Charlotte to be a pretty moderate place - a good mix of conservative and liberal minded people (Although at times it can feel more conservative, but I blame that on the small town mentality that still exists here. Small town mentality and a fast growing city/metro is like oil and water - they don't mix).

Old 03-24-2008, 03:31 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,646,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullman View Post
FWIW my wife is from Millbury MA and her family is just as, if not more, conservative than my family.
Not all them yankees are bleeding-heart tax and spend liberals!
Nope, just the ones in the statehouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina