Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 02:24 PM

4 posts, read 7,544 times

Advertisements

Okay now I'm sure that this question is asked all the time on here, but I'm looking for a little advice/ maybe a good idea.

I've lived in Connecticut my whole life. I am 20 years old and I have decided that I have no reason to stay here. My parents live more than 1400 miles away. I'm not having much luck with my career, or anything else around here for that matter. I have no children, and nothing that can't be left behind. I'd like to get away from here to somewhere where my girlfriend and I can get a new start on life (she is 21 years old and has the same feelings about Connecticut as I do). I have heard that North Carolina is a great place to go and I was wondering if anybody could tell me where a great place to start my new life would be. I am young and I do not have a lot of money, I'm basically starting from scratch somewhere else, i feel like i may be being held back by my surroundings.

I would like to find a nice town where I could be near work. I like outdoor activities, and I would like to be within a reasonable drive of the shoreline (hopefully not more than 2 hours). I don't want to be way up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere, or anywhere thats too big of a city, maybe something around 30-60,000 people (doesn't have to be exact but you get the idea nothing huge, or desolate either for that matter).

I don't really know too much about the state, I've only even been through it twice. I do have a cousin who recently moved to Raleigh.
I tried to be specific to give you an idea maybe if you know anything good. If anyone has an idea of a good place, even if its not exactly what I'm talking about I'd love to hear it.
Thanks
-Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 02:38 PM

Also, i was thinking, maybe a suburb of Raleigh would be a good idea, but im not sure exactly what to look for. Maybe a local's point of view/ advice might be a good thing.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtr3 View Post
Okay now I'm sure that this question is asked all the time on here, but I'm looking for a little advice/ maybe a good idea.

I've lived in Connecticut my whole life. I am 20 years old and I have decided that I have no reason to stay here. My parents live more than 1400 miles away. I'm not having much luck with my career, or anything else around here for that matter. I have no children, and nothing that can't be left behind. I'd like to get away from here to somewhere where my girlfriend and I can get a new start on life (she is 21 years old and has the same feelings about Connecticut as I do). I have heard that North Carolina is a great place to go and I was wondering if anybody could tell me where a great place to start my new life would be. I am young and I do not have a lot of money, I'm basically starting from scratch somewhere else, i feel like i may be being held back by my surroundings.

I would like to find a nice town where I could be near work. I like outdoor activities, and I would like to be within a reasonable drive of the shoreline (hopefully not more than 2 hours). I don't want to be way up in the mountains in the middle of nowhere, or anywhere thats too big of a city, maybe something around 30-60,000 people (doesn't have to be exact but you get the idea nothing huge, or desolate either for that matter).

I don't really know too much about the state, I've only even been through it twice. I do have a cousin who recently moved to Raleigh.
I tried to be specific to give you an idea maybe if you know anything good. If anyone has an idea of a good place, even if its not exactly what I'm talking about I'd love to hear it.
Thanks
-Kevin

Kevin, for what you say you want I would suggest you look at Greensboro, Winston Salem and Greenville.

In addition, check out Greenville SOUTH Carolina. There are good job opportunities there and the area is really nice - sounds like something that may also work for you. Best of luck!

Old 03-25-2008, 02:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchtr3 View Post
Also, i was thinking, maybe a suburb of Raleigh would be a good idea, but im not sure exactly what to look for. Maybe a local's point of view/ advice might be a good thing.
The suburbs of Raleigh can be very expensive to live in. If you go toward Greensboro you aren't THAT far from Raleigh and the living is more affordable

Old 03-25-2008, 03:58 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,418 times
The suburbs around Raleigh aren't always so expensive. It totally depends on the town. However, it sounds like you might want a smaller community, rather than a suburb connected to a large town. Is that right?

There are subsection on this forum dedicated to different sections of NC. If you want to find out more about The Triad (Greensboro, Winston Salem, etc.), click here: Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum
If you want more information about The Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, etc.), click here: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum

Old 03-25-2008, 05:05 PM

thank you!

and a smaller community would be nice, but not a must. I have lived in the suburbs of Hartford CT but that is a MUCH smaller city than most, so I'm guessing the suburbs are much smaller/ different as well. It doesn't have to be a real small community, but thats what I'm used to I've always lived in slightly less populated areas. The physical size or population shouldn't matter too much, as long as its not crazy hectic there as it may be a little tough to fit in. Like i said, I'm really not sure what I'm looking for, I'll look into your suggestions, I'm really open to anything as I am looking for a rather large life change. Thanks for the ideas!

Old 03-25-2008, 05:52 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,488,710 times
did you mention what kind of work you do? that might help to stear you in the right direction

Old 03-26-2008, 05:17 PM

I am an auto mechanic, so pretty much wherever I go I think I can find some form of work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina