U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-25-2008, 06:22 AM

8 posts, read 18,021 times
Default Best city to Retire

I would like to know what everyone thinks about the best cities to retire in North Carolina are. Here is what I am looking for.

I love to golf and my wife likes to shop at malls and odd shops. We will be on a pension so as far as housing goes we would be looking to keep our house in the 175-210K range.

I plan to work between 24-30 hours a week at a golf course so I would be looking for an area where there are numerous golf courses. If anyone knows of golf courses that are hiring (Oh, I am not looking for a big salary $8.00 to $15.00 an hours plus playing rights).

My wife does not want to live in a town with less then 50K people and also does not want to be more the 10-15 minutes from a large mall and other stores like TJMAXX, Kohls, Wal-mart, etc.

Please let me know what you all think.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 06:42 AM

648 posts, read 1,959,066 times
I think Myrtle Beach meets your criteria. Unbelievable number of courses and large enough for your taste. Somebody may be able to answer better on the large mall criteria.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:57 AM

2,447 posts, read 5,110,069 times
Housing costs in the coastal communities will likely be out of the OP's range, especially in Myrtle. I'd guess it could be slightly cheaper in the inland communities of Brunswick County, NC, however, but then you're in a smaller town with longer drives to either Myrtle or Wilmington for shopping. As housing costs go in cities of 50k+, you should probably look at Hickory, Triad (G'boro, W-S, High Point), Charlotte, Triangle (Durham, Raleigh, Chapel Hill) in that order.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:09 PM

43,304 posts, read 51,805,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by postit55 View Post
I would like to know what everyone thinks about the best cities to retire in North Carolina are. Here is what I am looking for.

I love to golf and my wife likes to shop at malls and odd shops. We will be on a pension so as far as housing goes we would be looking to keep our house in the 175-210K range.

I plan to work between 24-30 hours a week at a golf course so I would be looking for an area where there are numerous golf courses. If anyone knows of golf courses that are hiring (Oh, I am not looking for a big salary $8.00 to $15.00 an hours plus playing rights).

My wife does not want to live in a town with less then 50K people and also does not want to be more the 10-15 minutes from a large mall and other stores like TJMAXX, Kohls, Wal-mart, etc.

Please let me know what you all think.

Thank you.

Well, what a shame, your wife's requirements knock Pinehurst out of the running. That is one of THE places retirees move to when they want a great golfing retirement. It is such a beautiful area, maybe you could visit and get her interested?

Pinehurst, North Carolina (NC) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Seems to me that if she insists on living near a city with at least 50,000 population you won't get much of a sense of peace in your retirement, as this puts you looking at the larger metro areas like Charlotte and Raleigh, perhaps Asheville or Wilmington. Come to think of it, Wilmington would put you closest to the most golf courses I believe for your job opportunities, but living at the beach can be expensive - so best of luck!

Old 03-26-2008, 01:09 PM

217 posts, read 760,499 times
Wilmington is a great place to retire. We have many retirees here so you would be in good company. Good golf courses too (from what I've been told).

Old 03-26-2008, 03:24 PM

1,855 posts, read 4,033,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Housing costs in the coastal communities will likely be out of the OP's range, especially in Myrtle. I'd guess it could be slightly cheaper in the inland communities of Brunswick County, NC, however, but then you're in a smaller town with longer drives to either Myrtle or Wilmington for shopping.
I just went to realtor.com and put in 175K-225K and it shows me nearly 1500 homes. A lot of these are going to be condo and townhomes, but for a retired couple, that may be desirable. IMO, this area has exactly what the OP is looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina