Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 05:41 PM

496 posts, read 466,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmountain05 View Post
I can’t agree more, the winters never seem to end here! Have you found any good areas? We are also looking into GA and SC as well.
South Carolina is the state we are leaning towards the most. Aiken sounds perfect for me but my husband would rather be closer to the mountains. I'm not leaving VT to go back to the mountains where they can get snow more often than the Midlands area.

NC is in the running as well. But, I am thinking NC gets more snow than SC or GA so that will be a deciding factor.

VT is very liberal; I am conservative. I hate the cold and snow and it's so depressing. Plus, it's VERY expensive to live in VT.

Last edited by DC Fairwinds; 03-24-2018 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Add info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2018, 01:12 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,957,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Fairwinds View Post
South Carolina is the state we are leaning towards the most. Aiken sounds perfect for me but my husband would rather be closer to the mountains. I'm not leaving VT to go back to the mountains where they can get snow more often than the Midlands area.

NC is in the running as well. But, I am thinking NC gets more snow than SC or GA so that will be a deciding factor.

VT is very liberal; I am conservative. I hate the cold and snow and it's so depressing. Plus, it's VERY expensive to live in VT.
I'm in Charlotte and it snowed 1 time this year... we got under 3 inches. It also snow flurried for less than 10 mins during two rain storms coming through. The "snow storm" that passed through left us with a coating of snow that melted in 2 days and was completely gone on the third. Thats all the snow we ever saw.. South of us in SC, GA actually receive more snow than us this entire season. The mountains out the west of us towards Ashville and such end up absorbing most of the snow and by the time it arrives to us its all snowed out. We were pleased with the winter here, we still got season change but it was nothing like the horrid winters of Keene, NH and Brattleboro, VT we experienced.

this was our total snow fall the entire season from 1 storm. As you can see its not even to be ankle deep. I think the nexts days following it were 50's and 60's

Old 03-26-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I'm in Charlotte and it snowed 1 time this year... we got under 3 inches. It also snow flurried for less than 10 mins during two rain storms coming through. The "snow storm" that passed through left us with a coating of snow that melted in 2 days and was completely gone on the third. Thats all the snow we ever saw.. South of us in SC, GA actually receive more snow than us this entire season. The mountains out the west of us towards Ashville and such end up absorbing most of the snow and by the time it arrives to us its all snowed out. We were pleased with the winter here, we still got season change but it was nothing like the horrid winters of Keene, NH and Brattleboro, VT we experienced.

this was our total snow fall the entire season from 1 storm. As you can see its not even to be ankle deep. I think the nexts days following it were 50's and 60's

Great! Thanks for the information and photos. We still have plenty of snow in VT although it's attempting to melt so it can turn into mud. Mud season is the fifth season here in VT.

Old 05-14-2018, 08:37 AM

1 posts, read 754 times
Hi Guys
I am also from VT and looking to relocate to NC we are close to retirement age.
We are looking in the Randolph County area.
Some where between Asheboro and WinstonSalem and Greensboro.
Can you give some idea if this is a good area.
We are going down in July to look around

Old 05-14-2018, 04:41 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dardoninc View Post
Hi Guys
I am also from VT and looking to relocate to NC we are close to retirement age.
We are looking in the Randolph County area.
Some where between Asheboro and WinstonSalem and Greensboro.
Can you give some idea if this is a good area.
We are going down in July to look around
Need more information from you as to what you think constitutes a "good" area. What is it you are looking for? Whats your budget? What kind of neighborhood/house do you want? Whats your housing budget? Will you be working? What kind of job? How long of a commute do you want?

Old 05-18-2018, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmountain05 View Post
I can’t agree more, the winters never seem to end here! Have you found any good areas? We are also looking into GA and SC as well.
I'm leaning toward SC, Greenville area. I just need to get out of the snow and grey days.

Old 05-19-2018, 10:43 AM

Quote:
I'm leaning toward SC, Greenville area. I just need to get out of the snow and grey days.
You should probably go further south. We had our fair share of those this winter.. I believe for 2 weeks straight we were consistently colder than Boston (single digits)

Old 05-19-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
You should probably go further south. We had our fair share of those this winter.. I believe for 2 weeks straight we were consistently colder than Boston (single digits)
2 weeks of cold is much better than 5 months of it. Hardly any days with sunshine. It's extremely depressing.

Old 05-22-2018, 12:48 PM

9,431 posts, read 5,194,093 times
Quote:
2 weeks of cold is much better than 5 months of it. Hardly any days with sunshine. It's extremely depressing.

That's why I'm relocating!!! It's gotten rough for me over the years. Add taxes to it, and it's an easy choice. I just hope we are able to find the uncrowded, rural environment we really want to keep living in.

Old 05-22-2018, 01:03 PM

Well I can tell you we get a lot more than 2 weeks of cold... Its very cold from Nov-April.. We wore gloves, hats, coats, and boots for about 5 months. Mornings will be teens to single digits in NC for a lot of it with highs in the 30's or so. My daughter worn her winter bib on more than one occasion to keep warm. Some days will reach 50's or 60's but the majority will require heavy winter garb.

NC gets lot of ice. I mean A LOT of ice.. nearly every morning we woke up we had to scrape the cars and warm them up. The issue is they don't budget for ice/snow here so roads are not treated..at all.. they may pre-brine them if a "big storm" is coming but other than that expect to not see any treatments done.

I just don't want you to be under impression youre coming to some winter free/ short winter paradise.. we get winter.. and its not short here Is it as harsh as New England? No... but it is by no means as "mild" but for a few weeks before the real cold fronts start coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina