Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:59 AM

34 posts, read 44,390 times

Advertisements

I would have to think that places like Louisburg, Smithfield, Pittsboro (far exurb of Raleigh) and Lincolnton, Statesville, Salisbury (far exurbs of Charlotte) would see growth in the 2020s like Wake Forest, Apex and Concord, Huntersville saw in the 1990s, 2000s, respectively.

Also, do not discount places like Morehead City and Pender County as interstate access continues to improve from the inland areas. Wilmington's growth was stagnated for decades until the late 1980s when I-40 was completed. I would also expect to see continued growth along the I-40 and I-85 concurrency from Durham to Greensboro.

My vote for next hot cities:

1 - Statesville/Mooresville (downtown areas already established)
2 - Smithfield/Selma (regional outlet shopping/theaters)
3 - Morehead City (beaches/great restaurant scene/southern outer banks access)
4 - Lincolnton (downtown revitalization efforts)
5 - Louisburg (needs to establish a niche but could in the future)

Honorable Mentions:

1 - New Bern (better interstate access/colonial historical area/waterfront)
2 - Shelby/Kings Mountain (as Metrolina spreads)
3 - Hillsborough (I don't understand how it is already not the next "hot" NC city)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 07:10 AM

275 posts, read 330,618 times
I'm surprise Greenville isn't mentioned more. It's gonna be over 100k by 2025, in addition to its suburbs like Winterville, Ayden, and to some extent Farmville growing as well. Uptown is completely getting redeveloped as well as new interstate like highways being built. Idk if it's gonna boom like Wilmington, but this area is clearly growing.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:53 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by encecu View Post
I would have to think that places like Louisburg, Smithfield, Pittsboro (far exurb of Raleigh) and Lincolnton, Statesville, Salisbury (far exurbs of Charlotte) would see growth in the 2020s like Wake Forest, Apex and Concord, Huntersville saw in the 1990s, 2000s, respectively.

Also, do not discount places like Morehead City and Pender County as interstate access continues to improve from the inland areas. Wilmington's growth was stagnated for decades until the late 1980s when I-40 was completed. I would also expect to see continued growth along the I-40 and I-85 concurrency from Durham to Greensboro.

My vote for next hot cities:

1 - Statesville/Mooresville (downtown areas already established)
2 - Smithfield/Selma (regional outlet shopping/theaters)
3 - Morehead City (beaches/great restaurant scene/southern outer banks access)
4 - Lincolnton (downtown revitalization efforts)
5 - Louisburg (needs to establish a niche but could in the future)

Honorable Mentions:

1 - New Bern (better interstate access/colonial historical area/waterfront)
2 - Shelby/Kings Mountain (as Metrolina spreads)
3 - Hillsborough (I don't understand how it is already not the next "hot" NC city)
Kings Mountain is in Cleveland & Gaston counties, which means that part of it is already in the Charlotte metro. It's more tied to Gastonia than Shelby.

Gastonia is moving ahead on plans that were delayed by the Great Recession.

Old 04-11-2018, 11:21 AM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
I'm surprise Greenville isn't mentioned more. It's gonna be over 100k by 2025, in addition to its suburbs like Winterville, Ayden, and to some extent Farmville growing as well. Uptown is completely getting redeveloped as well as new interstate like highways being built. Idk if it's gonna boom like Wilmington, but this area is clearly growing.
I agree with this. I think what happens on these threads is that people tend to think of areas that are familiar to the corner of the state they inhabit.

Specifically, Greenville seems to be the strongest economy of Eastern NC (east of Raleigh) that isn't tied to tourism in terms of vacationers and more recently retirees.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:40 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,379,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I agree with this. I think what happens on these threads is that people tend to think of areas that are familiar to the corner of the state they inhabit.

Specifically, Greenville seems to be the strongest economy of Eastern NC (east of Raleigh) that isn't tied to tourism in terms of vacationers and more recently retirees.
Well, considering it has the largest university and largest hospital east of Raleigh, I would would certainly hope this would be the case. But really, isn't that a bit like being the tallest dwarf?

Old 04-11-2018, 02:13 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,005 times
I'd say:

Mount Holly
Wake Forrest
Fuquay Varina
Lucia
Midland (east of Charlotte)
Kings Mountain

I expect to see the rapid growth (+40% in a decade) confined to the Charlotte/Raleigh burbs. I also expect to see the congestion created by the 77 toll lanes to force Charlotte development East/West rather than along the tradition North/South axis.

Last edited by Pfalz; 04-11-2018 at 02:21 PM..

Old 04-11-2018, 02:17 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Well, considering it has the largest university and largest hospital east of Raleigh, I would would certainly hope this would be the case. But really, isn't that a bit like being the tallest dwarf?
Greeneville has no interstate, no major airport or port. Its hard to envision it ever growing into anything that can sustain its self without the inflow state college funding. It does however have a Smashed Waffles (and from what I gathered on the economic development thread, that's worth at least 6 waffle houses...)

Old 04-11-2018, 02:31 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Newton, Kannapolis, Salisbury, Wilson, Dunn, Kernersville, Burlington, and Sneads Ferry. Possibly Boone too...

Old 04-11-2018, 05:12 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Greeneville has no interstate, no major airport or port. Its hard to envision it ever growing into anything that can sustain its self without the inflow state college funding. It does however have a Smashed Waffles (and from what I gathered on the economic development thread, that's worth at least 6 waffle houses...)
Smash waffles is amazing! I’ve been to the one they just opened on Hillsborough St. already too many times lol and before that I was regularly eating them at Pizza La Stella on Fayetteville st. who they partnered with before opened their own brick and mortar store. It’s been a blessing and a curse hah.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:09 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Greeneville has no interstate
It will eventually.

Signs go up for future Interstate 587 in Pitt County | WNCT

Greenville and Kinston have also been pushing for the NC-11/US-13 corridor between Kinston and Bethel to become an interstate, which would give Greenville & the Global TransPark an interstate link to Hampton Roads, via US-64/Future I-87 from Bethel. An attempt was made in Congress in 2016, but it didn’t get anywhere because of the elections. They have yet to make a second attempt.

https://www.burr.senate.gov/imo/medi...ille%20hwy.pdf

Last edited by LM117; 04-11-2018 at 09:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina