Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2018, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 19,755 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I have a question about the NC license plate turn in policy.
I changed my insurance coverage from NC to CA at Feb 15. I was planning to get the CA license plate at the same date but failed to do that. Then I got my CA license plate at Feb 23, and mailed my NC license plate to NC-DMV at Feb 26.
I just saw that it said "Do not cancel your North Carolina liability insurance coverage before you turn in your plate or you will be fined" on NC-DMV website. It confused me. Before obtain the CA license plate, I have to keep my NC license plate. To get the CA license plate, I have to have CA insurance. So it will always have a time when you keep NC license plate (not in operation) but don't have NC insurance coverage unless you have two states insurance coverages at the same time.
Can anyone help me with this puzzle? Will I get the penalty from NC-DMV in my situation?

Last edited by ScarlettGG; 04-12-2018 at 04:21 PM.. Reason: title
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 11:38 AM

263 posts, read 571,917 times
Are you coming back to NC? If not, it's a non-issue. They may revoke any future NC registration for that particular vehicle until you pay a fine, but if you're staying registered in CA and not coming back here, there's nothing they can or will do.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:41 PM

I don't have a plan to come back. Hopefully it is ok. Thank you!

Old 04-13-2018, 07:43 PM

555 posts, read 500,347 times
I wouldn't be so sure that you won't be fined. It happened to me last year. I didn't turn in my plate that quickly though - it was a few weeks later that I got the nastygram from the NC DMV as well as a $50 fine. I called and talked to the DMV and the representative could not give me an explanation of how I could accomplish what they were asking for when moving out of state. I understand the need to keep liability insurance but think it's ridiculous to have a system set up that basically penalizes people who move out of state.

Old 04-13-2018, 11:01 PM

Thank you! I am going to see whether they will fine me, then I will try to argue.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:15 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
I had a situation with one of my vehicles and I did turn my plate in before I cancelled my insurance. In fact the agent even asked me if I turned my plate in.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I had a situation with one of my vehicles and I did turn my plate in before I cancelled my insurance. In fact the agent even asked me if I turned my plate in.
Was your "situation" moving out of state? We had "situations" in which we turned in plates to the DMV while living in state (selling a vehivle or having one totalled) - that was no problem. The impossible situation occurs when you must drive that vehicle to a new state and get insurance and new plates there before turning in your NC plates.

And to the OP - I tried to argue/reason with the DMV. It was no use. In fact I was told if I didn't pay, I would incur additional fines. Keep in mind I had a slim window for any action because of course the nastygram from the DMV had been sent to my old address and was then forwarded to my new address, so the fine was due within a week of when I got the notice.

Still kind of burns me when I think about that.

Old 04-14-2018, 10:21 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post
Was your "situation" moving out of state? We had "situations" in which we turned in plates to the DMV while living in state (selling a vehivle or having one totalled) - that was no problem. The impossible situation occurs when you must drive that vehicle to a new state and get insurance and new plates there before turning in your NC plates.

And to the OP - I tried to argue/reason with the DMV. It was no use. In fact I was told if I didn't pay, I would incur additional fines. Keep in mind I had a slim window for any action because of course the nastygram from the DMV had been sent to my old address and was then forwarded to my new address, so the fine was due within a week of when I got the notice.

Why is that impossible? Once you get new insurance and new plates in your new state, mail the NC plate back to NC DMV and cancel NC insurance.

Old 04-14-2018, 11:34 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedLife View Post

Mine wasn't moving out of state. Fortunately my vehicle was already parked and did not have to drive it.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Why is that impossible? Once you get new insurance and new plates in your new state, mail the NC plate back to NC DMV and cancel NC insurance.
As the OP stated, you would have to carry two insurance policies from two different states at the same time. I'm no insurance guru, but I've always been under the impression that if two different insurance companies cover you for the same thing, and something happens, they will each try to get the other to pay, leaving you in limbo. Also I couldn't stick with the same insurance company in both states because we had NC Farm Bureau. Also, frankly, I have plates from two other states - NC is the only one that seems to care so deeply about this. I knew I had to turn in the plate (and I'm not sure a lot of other people know of this requirement, because it's not very common), but I did think I had some sort of grace period, and I was always covered by liability insurance at all times (it just switched companies and states). I honestly thought at the time the main reason to turn in the plate was to obtain the refund on tax collected for it during the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina