U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 03-27-2008, 08:17 PM
 
Location: Avoca, PA
81 posts, read 167,313 times
Reputation: 28

Advertisements

I've read that shelby is a run down town, but it was posted like a year ago is that true? In about 6 months I will be working in shelby and I need to know if there are any nice places to live around the area, kind of like a country setting and good schooling and to raise my 4 year old son. Thanks for the help.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-28-2008, 05:45 AM
 
1 posts, read 5,411 times
Reputation: 10
I have lived in Shelby since August of last year. There are some part that are like that but there are also great places. I am currently living over by the YMCA in an apartment complex. That is a great neighborhood.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 12:57 AM
 
Location: Western North Carolina
3,294 posts, read 4,374,077 times
Reputation: 4738
If it were me, having been a resident of Shelby and the surrounding area for more than a decade, I would look for a place to live in Boiling Springs, it's close to Shelby and the schools are very good there as well (Crest school system).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Avoca, PA
81 posts, read 167,313 times
Reputation: 28
Thanks for the info. Yeah I just have no idea were to live that has good schools and a nice atmosphere. Only 2 things are making me have second thoughts about moving, I just dont know what to do. The amount of African Americans in the south and tornadoes. Are there many tornadoes down there? I just don't want my house to get ripped away by one. That being said, I have nothing against black people, I have a few freinds at work that are black. The point I'm trying to make is there any racial stuff going on? I just don't want my son around that. I've never been to NC before so I don't know. Anyways thanks again. : )

Last edited by stan1977; 03-29-2008 at 08:47 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Southern NC
1,915 posts, read 2,855,672 times
Reputation: 2375
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan1977 View Post
Thanks for the info. Yeah I just have no idea were to live that has good schools and a nice atmosphere. Only 2 things are making me have second thoughts about moving, I just dont know what to do. The amount of African Americans in the south and tornadoes. Are there many tornadoes down there? I just don't want my house to get ripped away by one. That being said, I have nothing against black people, I have a few freinds at work that are black. The point I'm trying to make is there any racial stuff going on? I just don't want my son around that. I've never been to NC before so I don't know. Anyways thanks again. : )
This is 2008...racism isn't what it used to be here.
I've lived in the area my entire life and never been in a tornado either.
I wonder where you're getting your info about NC?
There are many great areas of Shelby...you just need to research, put the negative info away...and make informed choices.
You may check into Kings Mtn. too....very laid back town...(Mayberry style)...and very close to Shelby.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-29-2008, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Western North Carolina
3,294 posts, read 4,374,077 times
Reputation: 4738
Be careful if considering Kings Mountain, though. It may look like Mayberry (and it used to really be like Mayberry, but that was a couple of decades ago). There are some nice areas, and even some new subdivisions, but there are definitely some really rough areas as well. The crime per-capita in Kings Mountain was one of the highest in the COUNTRY a couple of years ago, but I have heard they've made some progress towards bringing that down. Not trying to be negative about it, but I owned a home in that area for 7 years, I have relatives who have lived there all their lives, and my kids attended Kings Mountain schools, so I do have first-hand experience. If I were considering an area, I would want all the information good and bad, and nothing sugar-coated.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2008, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Avoca, PA
81 posts, read 167,313 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
If I were considering an area, I would want all the information good and bad, and nothing sugar-coated.
That's exactly what I wanna hear good and bad. I know its 2008 but I just wanna be sure ya know. I'm getting my info right here. Typing in a city and state and it tells ya towards the middle average tornado in the area under, over USA avg, and NC avg. That could be wrong too?
This is a big move, PA to NC. Once ya move there's no coming back, well ya could but it will be harder. I love the info you guys are giving. Ok I'll throw this at ya, between me and my wife right now we make around $60,000 a year and if we move down there we will be making around $47,000. To me that's a big cut in pay, $13,000 a year. Is the cost of living that cheap?
Anyways, I would like to know this too, what other towns/cities are good around shelby, maybe a 20 mile radius, also has to have good schooling. Thanks again I appreciate it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-30-2008, 07:48 AM
 
Location: Southern NC
1,915 posts, read 2,855,672 times
Reputation: 2375
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Be careful if considering Kings Mountain, though. It may look like Mayberry (and it used to really be like Mayberry, but that was a couple of decades ago). There are some nice areas, and even some new subdivisions, but there are definitely some really rough areas as well. The crime per-capita in Kings Mountain was one of the highest in the COUNTRY a couple of years ago, but I have heard they've made some progress towards bringing that down. Not trying to be negative about it, but I owned a home in that area for 7 years, I have relatives who have lived there all their lives, and my kids attended Kings Mountain schools, so I do have first-hand experience. If I were considering an area, I would want all the information good and bad, and nothing sugar-coated.
I've never heard of such crime in Kings Mtn.
I'd love to see the stats on that.
Are you referring to theft crimes? Murders? Rapes?

PP, you should also check out Western Lincoln County....good schools, low crime (really!), rolling hills, farmland all around....my kids go to school in that area, and we love it.
Our violent crime rate in Lincoln County is almost non-existant compared to other areas.

As for the cost of living....I make way less than you will, and we live comfortably....you just have to find your priorities.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2008, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Western North Carolina
3,294 posts, read 4,374,077 times
Reputation: 4738
It would benefit me in no possible way to make up crime stats. I can try to post the information if you want but it's easily accessible online. The statistics were for violent crime rates for cities with populations over +5000 in North Carolina, and included Shelby and Gastonia as well. That's why I recommended Boiling Springs, it's close to Shelby, better neighborhoods, less crime, better schools. That being said, I did live in Shelby and Kings Mountain (Grover) and owned homes in both. If you are smart and avoid the "rough" areas, you will probably be o.k. Most of the voilent crime, unfortunate but true, is black-on-black, not just random. However, my first house was robbed in Shelby before we even moved in. We were in the process of remodeling, and all our tools were stolen. I did not research the area well enough before buying the house. So, just check your area of choice out well, and be realistic not idealistic, that's all I'm saying.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top