Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:35 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times

Advertisements

Not sure about others but any Duke Health facility will require you to show ID now. Been that way for a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2018, 02:28 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,825,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Not sure about others but any Duke Health facility will require you to show ID now. Been that way for a few years.
Yep. I’m one of their many patients. I was just down there this morning.

Old 06-13-2018, 03:29 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
has there ever been any study undertaken in NC to see how many:

1. Registered voters don't have a valid ID?
2. People 18 and over didn't have a valid ID?

I'd kinda like to see the size of the problem here.

Old 06-14-2018, 09:05 AM

875 posts, read 1,162,544 times
If I wanted to I could vote as any one of you and all I need to know is your address which is a matter of public record. Or I can pick out several and get a van full of people to vote in different counties. How many of you are OK with that? Voter ID improves the integrity of the system. Several states already have voter ID laws and Armageddon did not occur.

If your default state of mind is "I should not have to prove I am who I say I am" then you should re-evaluate your personal ethics.

Old 06-14-2018, 01:24 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,899 times
GOP proposal would drop final Saturday from early voting

Old 06-15-2018, 10:28 AM

678 posts, read 738,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
If I wanted to I could vote as any one of you and all I need to know is your address which is a matter of public record. Or I can pick out several and get a van full of people to vote in different counties. How many of you are OK with that? Voter ID improves the integrity of the system. Several states already have voter ID laws and Armageddon did not occur.

If your default state of mind is "I should not have to prove I am who I say I am" then you should re-evaluate your personal ethics.

That doesn't happen. Committing voter fraud is a felony and pretty stupid. A lot of risk for little reward. You would have to have an operation of ten of thousands of voters committing voter fraud at the same time, to have an affect on elections. Trump won NC by over 200,000 votes in 2016, so if voter fraud was so rampant, then how did Trump win?? Not to mention the idea that if a literal handful of people commit voter fraud, somehow that casts a doubt on all the millions of other votes collected. That's just dumb

Old 06-15-2018, 11:58 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
If I wanted to I could vote as any one of you and all I need to know is...
Correct. Or close enough to.

The question then is about how often this sort of subterfuge actually occurs.
Do you have any idea?

Quote:
If your default state of mind is "I should not have to prove I am who I say I am"
then you should re-evaluate your personal ethics.
I take the opposite view and suggest that if you ever really consider the idea...
you will as well.

Old 06-15-2018, 12:42 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
One side acts like voter fraud is a major problem and the other side acts like voter fraud is non-existent. No one honestly knows.

I still think it's better to require some sort of ID for voting to ensure that nothing fishy happens, but I seriously doubt there are thousands or millions of people illegally voting. Why even bother?

Old 06-15-2018, 02:31 PM

678 posts, read 738,350 times
Not to mention that most actual voter fraud is done through absentee ballots, and voter ID doesn't do anything for those

Old 06-15-2018, 07:28 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
Elderly folks for one. If you're disabled and don't drive, how many times do you need to show a current ID? All your retirement pay is direct deposited, and your other accounts were set up 20+ years ago when you had a current driver's license. Your pharmacy medications are either sent through the mail, picked up by a caretaker, or distributed through the nursing home, so you won't need to show a ID there. There's some situations for controlled medications where you need to show ID, but then again, that won't apply to all old people.

"You need a ID to cash checks". You don't need an ID to deposit checks, especially when you been going to the same local bank for thirty years, and the tellers and bank manager know you by name and face. Linda from the local credit union isn't going to ask 85 year old Mary Smith for her (likely expired by now) North Carolina photo ID, when they have been doing business together for 25 years. You can use an ATM to withdraw cash, and you don't need an ID for that

I can go on and on about how elderly folks don't need to show a current photo ID (the only one that would be acceptable for voting) on a regular basis, but you get the idea
My father is elderly (89) and guess what....he has an ID! While you may be able to withdraw cash from an ATM you had to show ID to set up the account in the first place!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina