Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 11:24 PM

4 posts, read 8,063 times

Advertisements

. I like the older homes 1970:and below. I love fiber arts and flea markets. Fun neighborhooods with activities around the holidays that’s are fun. I love quant old fashion well preserved historic towns. With parks and sidewalks. Something close to a good hospital . At least not very far. Outdoor markets, and friendly neighbors. My husband would love to fish right off a dock or edge of a lake. We will not know anyone , so making friends at late 60’s seems scary at our age. So activities where we can meet people. We don’t want to pay more than 180,000 for a nice house. Not a fixer upper. Quiet town. A little afraid of the coast. And we heard mosquitos and cockroaches are a problem. Still I have always dreamed of retiring in the Carolina’s. Maybe I’ve read too many small time southern charm novels. Or watched too much Andy Griffin.
I’ll be ther in two days , and hope to have some beautiful towns to visit. Can’t wait. I’m moving from High desert Bend Oiregon.
Thank you in advance for any help. From what I hear the humidity isn’t as bad as Florida it Texas. I grew up in The Midwest but it’s been years since I’ve been to sticky humidity. What month does that become tolerable? October?
Thank you again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 04:11 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana1952 View Post
...watched too much Andy Griffin.
Do you have some other reason to be in NC for these ten days?
Or at all?

Fly into Raleigh, rent a car, poke around, stop and talk to people.
Get onto I-40 and start heading west. Stop about every 50 miles.
get out. poke. talk. rinse & repeat.

Good luck.

Old 06-18-2018, 04:30 AM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Morganton

Old 06-18-2018, 04:38 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Your budget won't get you what you are seeking, unfortunately.

Old 06-18-2018, 08:08 AM

34 posts, read 44,338 times
Considering your limited time and your budget requirements, I think the following would give you a good feel for NC's smaller towns and cities.
I would fly to NC into Charlotte. Head towards the mountains and check out Kings Mountain, Forest City/Rutherfordton, Waynesville/Clyde (Asheville convenient), Marion, Morganton, Lenoir, Mocksville (Winston-Salem and Charlotte convenient), Kernersville (Winston-Salem and Greensboro convenient) and that will give you the western NC feel. I would then go to Roxboro or Oxford to get the feel of the small towns convenient to the Triangle. You should also checkout Washington and New Bern for the quaint small waterfront city feel without being right beside the ocean. Another couple of quaint places to see on your way back to Charlotte would be Wilson, just east of Raleigh, and Albemarle, just northeast of Charlotte. Your $180,000 will get you a decent home in any of these communities.

Old 06-18-2018, 09:30 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Your budget is adequate, but not exceptionally high especially if you don't want a fixer-upper. You could definitely do 180k for an older home if you're willing to put some work into it or live with it as is.

Check out Hillsborough NC near the Triangle and Raleigh.

Check out Mt Airy (Andy Griffith's hometown).

Yadkinville or Elkin, maybe?

I think encecu gave some good suggestions too.

If you google North Carolina Fiber Arts you will get lots of hits. Maybe focus your home search around those areas.

In late September the humidity starts to die back. It's usually pretty fine in October.

As far as weather, you might not be aware, but it rains a lot here. We have a lot of thunderstorms often severe in the summer. Lots of heat and humidity in the summer, too, but you were already warned about that. It gets cold in the winter (typically into the teens/20s/30s overnight, occasionally lower). We have a bit of snow, but usually just one or two good ones in most of the state. The mountains get more. We have more rain at much higher volume than Seattle. Parts of the mountains are classified as a temperate rain forest. But it comes down fast and hard so overall we don't have as many grey, drizzly days as Seattle. Afternoon thunderstorms are pretty typical in the summer. We can get as much as 1-2 inches of rain in a single hour. Usually it's not quite that hard, but 1/2 inch for an afternoon storm is pretty standard. We don't get excited about it until we start talking about 3+ inches in a day/night.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:37 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana1952 View Post
. I like the older homes 1970:and below. I love fiber arts and flea markets. Fun neighborhooods with activities around the holidays that’s are fun. I love quant old fashion well preserved historic towns. With parks and sidewalks. Something close to a good hospital . At least not very far. Outdoor markets, and friendly neighbors. My husband would love to fish right off a dock or edge of a lake. We will not know anyone , so making friends at late 60’s seems scary at our age. So activities where we can meet people. We don’t want to pay more than 180,000 for a nice house. Not a fixer upper. Quiet town. A little afraid of the coast. And we heard mosquitos and cockroaches are a problem. Still I have always dreamed of retiring in the Carolina’s. Maybe I’ve read too many small time southern charm novels. Or watched too much Andy Griffin.
I’ll be ther in two days , and hope to have some beautiful towns to visit. Can’t wait. I’m moving from High desert Bend Oiregon.
Thank you in advance for any help. From what I hear the humidity isn’t as bad as Florida it Texas. I grew up in The Midwest but it’s been years since I’ve been to sticky humidity. What month does that become tolerable? October?
Thank you again.
A couple of options...check Zillow or Realtor.com if there are any listings...

Farmville
Washington
Stantonsburg
Nashville

180K will go somewhere in these towns and they are ok if you arent looking for great school districts.

Old 06-18-2018, 12:42 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,070,207 times
Come across the mountains to Tennessee...Johnson City area.....humidity is a lot less (all of Carolina is pretty much a sauna from May/June until October...property prices are lower....can be near water or in the mountains quite quickly....fishing is good, people are fantastic...and No State Income Tax.

Why Carolina?

Old 06-18-2018, 01:38 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
OP should be aware many of the suggested towns are far from quaint, well preserved and historic.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:36 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Hillsborough is all of the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina