Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 05:18 PM

1 posts, read 5,370 times

Advertisements

Just moved here from Florida bought my car in 2016 it's a 2015 nissan Sentra bought it with factory installed window tint. I took it to nissan dealer up here to get serviced and to get my inspection and they told me it failed inspection only because of the window tint is to dark... really?!! Its factory installed how can I fail because of that it's the stupidest thing I ever heard of I can understand if it was after market window tint.. my options are to try another inspection site or have it removed and to do so professionally will cost me up to 400 not including new tint.... thinking of trading in the damn car ridiculous. Anyone know of any exceptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 06:08 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Could be that the regulation on window tinting is different in FL than NC. What is legal in FL may not be in NC. Your Nissan dealership in NC should know the rules for NC.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:12 PM

7,189 posts, read 6,811,802 times
I agree with roadpony. I suspect that if your car had been bought brand new in NC, it would not have the tint since dealerships in each state are responsible for making sure new vehicles meet state laws. Sounds like the tint was legal in Florida, which is why it was factory-installed, but is apparently too dark for NC.

You can have window tint in NC, but it can’t be beyond a certain limit.

https://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/i...dowtinting.pdf

Last edited by LM117; 06-25-2018 at 06:25 PM..

Old 06-25-2018, 06:59 PM

309 posts, read 322,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefeemay View Post
Just moved here from Florida bought my car in 2016 it's a 2015 nissan Sentra bought it with factory installed window tint. I took it to nissan dealer up here to get serviced and to get my inspection and they told me it failed inspection only because of the window tint is to dark... really?!! Its factory installed how can I fail because of that it's the stupidest thing I ever heard of I can understand if it was after market window tint.. my options are to try another inspection site or have it removed and to do so professionally will cost me up to 400 not including new tint.... thinking of trading in the damn car ridiculous. Anyone know of any exceptions?
We moved here from FL and my first car inspection on my 2010 factory installed tint failed. Just the back windshield. We had it reinstalled no way around it.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:00 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,079,965 times
First, are you sure it wasn't actually dealer-installed in FL? I've never heard of an auto-manufacturer installing dark tint from the factory (aside from maybe the upper area of the front windshield, or the sunroof), but I could be wrong. Usually if there's any factory tinting, it meets requirements of all 50 states.

Second, gotta love nonsense regulations. Because you cross some drawn-up lines between FL and NC, your window tint magically goes from safe to unsafe lol.

OP, I would look up DIY tint removal to save the $400. Or call around to different tint shops to get a better quote.

Old 06-26-2018, 11:03 AM

678 posts, read 737,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
First, are you sure it wasn't actually dealer-installed in FL? I've never heard of an auto-manufacturer installing dark tint from the factory (aside from maybe the upper area of the front windshield, or the sunroof), but I could be wrong. Usually if there's any factory tinting, it meets requirements of all 50 states.

Second, gotta love nonsense regulations. Because you cross some drawn-up lines between FL and NC, your window tint magically goes from safe to unsafe lol.

OP, I would look up DIY tint removal to save the $400. Or call around to different tint shops to get a better quote.

The OP can take out the tint themselves, but it will be a pain in the butt, and messy. When I did it, I had to buy this spray (that loosens up the adhesive), and this scraper tool, to remove the tint.

The tint laws in NC are stupid anyways. If there was a real car safety reason to have them, then all 50 states would ban the same dark tint

Old 06-26-2018, 11:06 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,595,835 times
It was definitely a dealer installed accessory. Those often get passed off as factory items by the dealers. The only state specific factory items have to do with emissions and California.

Old 06-26-2018, 01:15 PM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpains29 View Post
The tint laws in NC are stupid anyways. If there was a real car safety reason to have them, then all 50 states would ban the same dark tint
I love when you can't see a person's face because they have pitch black tint and then they pull up to stopped traffic as they try to get out of a McDonald's driveway. A game of chicken then ensues because you can't tell if you are making eye contact with the driver trying to merge, or if they are even paying attention while you do a little hand motion to let them in. You think "Did they see me wave to let them in? Are they looking at their phone?" Traffic starts to move and you continue to pause and wave, but they don't move. Then you start to go because you figure they must not be looking at you or waving back to decline merging, but you can't see if there is anybody even in the car due to the tint. Right when you start to go and give up on letting in the pitch black tint car merge in from the McDonald's driveway, they decide to go for it... BOOM.

Black front window tint also makes it fun for pedestrians to try to make eye contact with the driver when they are trying to cross the street for a more exciting version of car vs. human chicken.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:12 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,079,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I love when you can't see a person's face because they have pitch black tint and then they pull up to stopped traffic as they try to get out of a McDonald's driveway. A game of chicken then ensues because you can't tell if you are making eye contact with the driver trying to merge, or if they are even paying attention while you do a little hand motion to let them in. You think "Did they see me wave to let them in? Are they looking at their phone?" Traffic starts to move and you continue to pause and wave, but they don't move. Then you start to go because you figure they must not be looking at you or waving back to decline merging, but you can't see if there is anybody even in the car due to the tint. Right when you start to go and give up on letting in the pitch black tint car merge in from the McDonald's driveway, they decide to go for it... BOOM.

Black front window tint also makes it fun for pedestrians to try to make eye contact with the driver when they are trying to cross the street for a more exciting version of car vs. human chicken.
Flashing your lights instead can take care of scenario #1.

Scenario #2...isn't there already a law that pedestrians have the right-of-way in cross-walks?? Also, usually a driver will do a hand gesture visible through their windshield. Dark tint on front windows has no effect on that. Otherwise, it really should be the pedestrians' common sense on determining whether or not it's safe to cross.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:18 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Yes each state I'd different. My car was shipped from Texas and it had a darker tint that had to be removed to pass inspection here in North Carolina. Be careful about tinted licence plate cover too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina