U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2008, 08:44 AM

938 posts, read 2,275,052 times

Advertisements

When driving into one of these cities and searching for the Interstate loops of 485 in Charlotte and 440 in Raleigh you may be confronted by signs referring to them as "Inner Loop" and "Outer Loop". Doing 70mph with an 18 wheeler on your rear bumper is not the time to figure out what these signs mean.
The inner loops goes around the cities CLOCKWISE. The outer loops goes around the cities COUNTER CLOCKWISE.
I am appalled by the poor directional signs on NC highways but I consider the inner/outer loop thing to be the worst and most confusing to those of us unfamiliar with the scheme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 09:45 AM

22,003 posts, read 39,523,741 times
I like the use of inner loop and outer loop because it easier for me to figure out which way I need to go on a beltloop. I cross a puzzling situation the other night with beltloop 277 I didnt know if I need to go north or south since it for most part goes around in a circle. North, South, East, West does not apply well on highway that goes around in a circle.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:38 PM

12,857 posts, read 8,243,670 times
I have never paid attention to inner or outer loop. I always know where I am going before hand and which exit to take. I usually just drive through Raleigh on I-40.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:12 PM

3,193 posts, read 5,953,616 times
I don't mind the inner/outer loop thing. It helps remind you where you are in relation to the city - travelling clockwise on the inner loop means the city is always to your right. Travelling counter-clockwise on the outer loop means the city is always to your left.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:14 PM

94 posts, read 309,845 times
OK, so I better get myself a GPS!!!

Old 04-01-2008, 05:17 PM

938 posts, read 2,275,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superk View Post
I don't mind the inner/outer loop thing. It helps remind you where you are in relation to the city - travelling clockwise on the inner loop means the city is always to your right. Travelling counter-clockwise on the outer loop means the city is always to your left.
That's great for you...........but imagine yourself driving into a strange city and you see, for the first time in your life, signs for inner/outer loops. And like I said on the OP, you are doing about 70 and there is a Peterbilt on your rear bumper.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:27 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,620,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapaleeretired View Post
When driving into one of these cities and searching for the Interstate loops of 485 in Charlotte and 440 in Raleigh you may be confronted by signs referring to them as "Inner Loop" and "Outer Loop". Doing 70mph with an 18 wheeler on your rear bumper is not the time to figure out what these signs mean.
The inner loops goes around the cities CLOCKWISE. The outer loops goes around the cities COUNTER CLOCKWISE.
I am appalled by the poor directional signs on NC highways but I consider the inner/outer loop thing to be the worst and most confusing to those of us unfamiliar with the scheme.
A lot of newbies around here seem to get confused by that, but it never bothered me one bit. Learning how to drive at 16 on the Capital Beltway tought me a lot. The Raleigh beltline is I think only 23 miles around? So if you do take the wrong way, just get off at the next exit and turn around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina