Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2018, 08:32 PM

329 posts, read 250,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
yes..There is an anti-progressive mindset among some here and I'd say its still deeply seeped in doom and gloom religion... All signs of the deep south/bible belt mindset.

There's a deep gloom around Chapel Hill, Carrboro and the City of Durham. I'd say it's still deeply seeped in anti-business, atheistic, freedom constraining liberalism. All signs of the Northern, anti-business mindset.

Eastern NC is culturally the Deep South, but geographically not so much. Cotton and Tobacco, although not so much tobacco nowadays.

The cotton and tobacco farms extend all the way up to Suffolk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2018, 09:08 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,148,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Southeastern NC and the Black Belt that lies north and east of Rocky Mount are the closest you will get to stereotypical “In The Heat of the Night” Deep South. However like I said in my last post, each part has subtle differences.

I agree. If you're talking the immediate coast, its one thing. Everywhere else east of Raleigh is defined as the black belt. Its presence is haunting on many national maps even 150 years after slavery was outlawed.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...ty-black-belt/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Belt_(U.S._region)

Old 07-11-2018, 06:12 AM

873 posts, read 1,017,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
There's a deep gloom around Chapel Hill, Carrboro and the City of Durham. I'd say it's still deeply seeped in anti-business, atheistic, freedom constraining liberalism. All signs of the Northern, anti-business mindset.
Oh, please! Putting out a false opinion like this without any facts to support it only shows how wrong you are. The most recent U.S. Census data continues to show that Orange and Durham counties have continued to grow their population this decade and have some of the strongest growth rates in the state despite your "deep gloom" claim. Durham is the sixth most populated county with a growth rate of 13 percent, not far behind Mecklenburg and Wake's strong growth rates. And Orange is ready to pass Randolph County for 20th most populated in the state, needing only fewer than 500 new residents to do so as it grows 6 percent versus Randolph's anemic less than 1 percent. (Source: http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-counties/nc/)

Meanwhile, most of Eastern North Carolina's growth has been stagnant or declining this decade, with several losing thousands of residents. Look at Lenoir County (59,495 in 2010 vs. 56,883 in 2017), Bertie (21,282 in 2010 vs. 19,224 in 2017), Northampton (22,099 in 2010 vs. 19,862 in 2017), Halifax (54,691 in 2010 vs. 51,310 in 2017) and Edgecombe (56,552 in 2010 vs. 52,747 in 2017) as examples. (Source: https://www.cleveland.com/datacentra...nationall.html)

You may have a "deep gloom" about how well the progressive politics are faring in Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Durham, but you're ignoring the reality that businesses and population are booming there, especially compared to eastern NC. The "anti-business" mindset you claim is somehow bringing in new business construction to these downtowns that most other municipalities in eastern NC would kill to have, and plans for improving regional transit make both areas look even more promising. You have a diversified economy in the cities with education, health, research and other sectors going strong. At the same time, housing prices keep rising as many people flock to the cities with their fine assortment of parks, cultural attractions, artistic events and other amenities you'd be hard pressed to find in much of Eastern North Carolina.

Sorry if you don't like Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Durham. But don't claim they're "constraining freedom" and anti-business when the truth shows it is the opposite. I do think it's unfair to compare it with Eastern North Carolina, which has its own set of challenges as do other areas that I would agree comprise part of the "Deep South." But you shouldn't denigrate a successful part of the state when discussing this topic at hand, unless you want to weaken your argument.

Old 07-11-2018, 10:19 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,382,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Oh, please! Putting out a false opinion like this without any facts to support it only shows how wrong you are. The most recent U.S. Census data continues to show that Orange and Durham counties have continued to grow their population this decade and have some of the strongest growth rates in the state despite your "deep gloom" claim. Durham is the sixth most populated county with a growth rate of 13 percent, not far behind Mecklenburg and Wake's strong growth rates. And Orange is ready to pass Randolph County for 20th most populated in the state, needing only fewer than 500 new residents to do so as it grows 6 percent versus Randolph's anemic less than 1 percent. (Source: http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-counties/nc/)

Meanwhile, most of Eastern North Carolina's growth has been stagnant or declining this decade, with several losing thousands of residents. Look at Lenoir County (59,495 in 2010 vs. 56,883 in 2017), Bertie (21,282 in 2010 vs. 19,224 in 2017), Northampton (22,099 in 2010 vs. 19,862 in 2017), Halifax (54,691 in 2010 vs. 51,310 in 2017) and Edgecombe (56,552 in 2010 vs. 52,747 in 2017) as examples. (Source: https://www.cleveland.com/datacentra...nationall.html)

You may have a "deep gloom" about how well the progressive politics are faring in Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Durham, but you're ignoring the reality that businesses and population are booming there, especially compared to eastern NC. The "anti-business" mindset you claim is somehow bringing in new business construction to these downtowns that most other municipalities in eastern NC would kill to have, and plans for improving regional transit make both areas look even more promising. You have a diversified economy in the cities with education, health, research and other sectors going strong. At the same time, housing prices keep rising as many people flock to the cities with their fine assortment of parks, cultural attractions, artistic events and other amenities you'd be hard pressed to find in much of Eastern North Carolina.

Sorry if you don't like Chapel Hill, Carrboro and Durham. But don't claim they're "constraining freedom" and anti-business when the truth shows it is the opposite. I do think it's unfair to compare it with Eastern North Carolina, which has its own set of challenges as do other areas that I would agree comprise part of the "Deep South." But you shouldn't denigrate a successful part of the state when discussing this topic at hand, unless you want to weaken your argument.
I'd rep you if I could!

Old 07-11-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods Baptist View Post
The cotton and tobacco farms extend all the way up to Suffolk
And tobacco farms extend all the way up to Surry County. That has nothing to do with being deep south. The deep south doesn't even grow much tobacco. Only 2 deep south states are in the top ten states for tobacco growing. Connecticut grows more tobacco than Alabama.

Last edited by BC1960; 07-11-2018 at 10:37 AM..

Old 07-11-2018, 11:22 AM

275 posts, read 330,709 times
I've always said that anything area south of US 70, east of I-95, and east of US 17 is deep south (ie counties like Duplin, Sampson, most of Pender, Columbus, southern Lenoir, southern Wayne etc.). Another big area that is deep south is NE North Carolina. Anything on US 70, US 264 (from Washington going west) US 64 (Tarboro back on west), I-95, or US 17 isn't really that deep south.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:36 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ENC View Post
I've always said that anything area south of US 70, east of I-95, and east of US 17 is deep south (ie counties like Duplin, Sampson, most of Pender, Columbus, southern Lenoir, southern Wayne etc.). Another big area that is deep south is NE North Carolina. Anything on US 70, US 264 (from Washington going west) US 64 (Tarboro back on west), I-95, or US 17 isn't really that deep south.
Spot on.

Old 07-11-2018, 11:40 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Spot on.
Yah statesville lexington and Salsbury not Deep South

Old 07-11-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Yah statesville lexington and Salsbury not Deep South
Statesville, Lexington and Salisbury aren't even in eastern NC.

Old 07-11-2018, 12:19 PM

873 posts, read 1,017,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'd rep you if I could!
Thank you. I did for you for saying that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina