Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 08:45 PM

81 posts, read 100,374 times

Advertisements

I'm open to the idea of being a librarian, albeit I'm fairly sure it would involve getting a second Masters degree in Library Science beyond the degree I am already completing. It would depend on the particular job and salary range (Preferably work at a University/College Library). I would still rather work as either a Secondary School Teacher or a University Professor because I think it would be a better way to impart information directly to the public, but I am open to other options, with the main caveat that I would be employed as soon as possible after I graduate. My intuition tells me that there have been successful teachers currently and in the past who had Asperger's but if the work environment is really so hostile to those with differences than I'd rather avoid such a situation. Seems odd though that it would be that way, with growing awareness of teaching strategies targeted towards the growing population of students on the Spectrum, so one would think that school districts would be eager to hire such teachers who would have a better understanding of how to work with those students. I think maybe I should have put a caveat when I said "challenges with communication and organization". I'm able to communicate effectively and be organized, it just takes a little more effort on my part than it might someone else. But then again, doesn't everyone have to overcompensate for weaknesses in some way at any job?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2018, 01:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,890,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oihamad View Post
I'm open to the idea of being a librarian, albeit I'm fairly sure it would involve getting a second Masters degree in Library Science beyond the degree I am already completing. It would depend on the particular job and salary range (Preferably work at a University/College Library). I would still rather work as either a Secondary School Teacher or a University Professor because I think it would be a better way to impart information directly to the public, but I am open to other options, with the main caveat that I would be employed as soon as possible after I graduate. My intuition tells me that there have been successful teachers currently and in the past who had Asperger's but if the work environment is really so hostile to those with differences than I'd rather avoid such a situation. Seems odd though that it would be that way, with growing awareness of teaching strategies targeted towards the growing population of students on the Spectrum, so one would think that school districts would be eager to hire such teachers who would have a better understanding of how to work with those students. I think maybe I should have put a caveat when I said "challenges with communication and organization". I'm able to communicate effectively and be organized, it just takes a little more effort on my part than it might someone else. But then again, doesn't everyone have to overcompensate for weaknesses in some way at any job?
Okay, I"m willing to admit that you might find your niche with your understanding of students on the spectrum. However, to get hired as a teacher and to be an effective teacher you have to jump through a LOT more hoops than that. There is not really time in a teacher's day to adapt and differentiate for the number of students you may have on the spectrum. It takes a teaching ninja to do that effectively.

Look at it this way...if teachers didn't benefit from getting teaching degrees, no one would have one. I have a BS in Communications and an MLS. I am a certified school librarian and I was given an exemption for my student teaching because I worked in a private school for 40 days (that is allowed in some areas of certification in NY). I seriously regretted it. I was not as prepared as I could have been and it created a lot of frustration and extra work for me. As a librarian, I'm an A+, as a teacher maybe a C. If I could live my life over again, I would go ahead and get that undergrad elementary ed certification, then the MLS.

I have 2 daughters who have graduated from high school. In NY, certified teachers are required to get their master's degree within 3 years of completing their bachelors. From observing my girls' teachers, and from working in schools, it was very clear to me that The teachers with the master's are clearly superior teachers. They are better prepared, know their pedagogy, and understand child development. When we moved to NC, where most teachers are not required to get a masters nor paid additional for having one, I could see the difference as well. It takes several years of experience for a non master's degree teacher to reach the competency level of a teacher who has a master's. NY ranks far higher than NC on many measures of educational quality.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be a teacher. It's an admirable goal and a fulfilling profession for many. But as a parent, I can honestly say that I don't WANT my children to be taught by people who have not given themselves the benefit of that focused education. And as a teacher, I would not want a coworker to be thrown in to the lion's den without benefit of that focused education, because it would be very very hard to do and others would have to pick up their slack. Again, content knowledge is a very small part of teaching. We don't want teachers to impart information. It sounds like you visualize yourself as a lecturer but that is no longer considered an effective method of instruction for a majority of students. We want teachers who can get students to follow an inquiry process to figure things out for themselves and understand how things work. You need students who can meet the essential standards. Have you looked at the essential standards for NC? Successful teachers can recite those standards and tell you off the top of their head 3 methods used to teach each standard. (Lecturing isn't one of them).

Of course you don't want to get a second master's degree. But since your content areas (English and History) are not in demand for lateral entry, you are going to have to come up with another plan. I just don't want you to hitch your wagon to that, hoping that something will work out. I had a friend move to NC a few years ago with the same idea, and he ended up going back to NY to get a Master's in Teaching.

Have you looked at Teach for America? They have an excellent structured program for new teachers. And they do have programs in NC.

Old 08-04-2018, 02:26 PM

81 posts, read 100,374 times
I appreciate your honest advice on the risks and benefits of teaching. I think maybe I have an idealistic version of what it is like in my head and know that such an ideal is unlikely to be the reality. I will have to think carefully about whether or not that is the path I hope to pursue in the next few months. TFA is one option. I've also thought about going into several other fields including journalism, working as a Spanish-language interpreter since I am multilingual, or as an analyst/researcher for a think tank related to foreign policy (necessarily closer to DC rather than Raleigh) in addition to teaching, library work, or academia. Ultimately though I have to commit to one particular path and accept whatever risks come with that path.

Old 08-04-2018, 06:30 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
NY ranks far higher than NC on many measures of educational quality.

While this may be the common wisdom, ducting my last 9 years ofbteachingb8th Pate- akplgebra, of the 7 or 8 thatbtransferred into my classroom, EVERYONE WAS SIGNIFICANTLY BEHIND where we were. We were at a USNC base with heavtpy turnover!

In fact teaching in these loathsome NC schools, I only had one kid,that was head and shoulders above, He wore a Harvard tee shirt on his first day!

Old 08-07-2018, 04:57 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,790,796 times
If you are willing to move or live closer to the Virginia state line, Virginia has a program for "career switchers" that doesn't involve getting a second degree. It can be done in the summer or over a semester, and then you can teach with a provisional license in Virginia schools. There are several places that offer it, but one such place is Old Dominion University (ODU). I have one friend who did the ODU program several years ago and became employed as a teacher soon after. Another friend is doing it this summer, and I have a third friend who is planning on doing it - most likely somewhere else. So the program has a good reputation for working. Just thought I'd throw that out there, in case it interests you.

VDOE :: Career Switcher Program

Old 08-08-2018, 03:41 PM

881 posts, read 766,084 times
Many many school districts in NC hire lateral entry teachers. However, you will probably start at a less than desirable school or district. Some districts have their own lateral entry program (Guilford for example) or you can affiliate with one of the universities that has NCTeach and take 18 hours of education credits. You have 3 years to complete this. Having said this, teaching is VERY hard and not for the faint of heart. 80% of lateral entry teachers don't make it 5 years. If you are teaching because you can't find anything else to do, you will probably hate it.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:52 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
Problematic since you don't drive and it sounds like you are located in The Triangle, but the Rowan-Salisbury School System is piloting a new program that gives them more flexibility with their hiring. I'm still not sure it will be too helpful though, as they are looking for people who have actual experience in their field, not just a degree (from my understanding though).

Otherwise, as others have mentioned, the majority of lateral-entry teachers are filling hard to fill positions- specialty languages, STEM, special education, etc... English and history have always been the most saturated fields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina