Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 01:33 PM

626 posts, read 625,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Please stick to the topic at hand and not add false equivalencies and prejudices to the discussion here, OK? Thank you.
You are the one that brought up California and they are responding to what YOU posted. You want to brag about how much CA has such a big economy compared to the rest of the states but in reality the Tech industry is the one driving the industry of California while leaving everyone else out. The middle class of California are being run out of the state due to taxes and regulations and the COL. Did you know that price of gas is over $1 higher in CA where I used to live compared to where I live now in NC, and that's even with the Florence price hikes here in NC. Why is the gas taxes higher there than it is here in NC? The roads there aren't any better in fact outside of the OC the roads are worse than they are here.

The unions and special interest groups run California that's a fact. You can talk about how it is better but in reality it's not. Yeah the scenery is alot better and I loved looking out my window in the SGV and seeing beautiful mountains but the QOL is simply not there. The beaches are all nice looking but they are COLD compared to the beaches here in the Carolinas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 08:22 PM

4,588 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Wake County, North Carolina continued its substantial leftward shift this year. Joe Biden carried all 11 State House districts in Wake. He flipped HD-37 even while Dem incumbent Sydney Batch lost reelection.

Old 11-20-2020, 06:54 PM

Virginia has certified its 2020 election results:

Biden 2,413,568 (54.1%)
Trump 1,962,430 (44.0%)

That's a 4.8 point margin swing against Trump vs. 2016 and a 12.0% increase in votes cast.

North Carolina is about 12% more Republican than Virginia, 10% less Republican than South Carolina.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:01 AM

Robeson County had one of the biggest swings toward voting Republican for president in the country. Cabarrus County had one of the most notable swings toward voting Democrat in the Nation.

Old 11-21-2020, 05:50 PM

2,843 posts, read 2,973,786 times
Speaking of Robeson county i present their old rep Mike McIntyre as a good case study of the blue dog democrat roots in NC

guy represented ROBESON county 1997-2015 as a democrat

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_McIntyre

Trivia i just pulled from his page

Scottish-American relations
North Carolina's 7th district includes the largest number of Scottish-American descendants in the United States.

Interesting

Old 11-21-2020, 07:09 PM

6,109 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Robeson County had one of the biggest swings toward voting Republican for president in the country. Cabarrus County had one of the most notable swings toward voting Democrat in the Nation.
My theories on why this is:

1. Trump came to Robeson County and promised to make the Lumbee tribe federally recognized, as that's been a big issue for much of the Native American population of Robeson County for years. Whether that would have happened, who knows, but it apparently was enough to gain him some support. I also believe Robeson county is one of those areas where younger, more Democratic leaning people would be leaving to look for better opportunities so that leaves aging Blue Dog Democrats who have switched parties. Robeson County is the type of rural places Democrats need to somehow figure out a way to connect with people in.

2. Cabarrus County was pretty red as a starting point (associated with NASCAR and being a mill town environment with Kannapolis- both of which would lean Republican in the South), so it's not like it's become a deeply liberal county. It's just headed towards the center, and part of that is due to more people moving in from outside NC who have more diversity in their politics as Charlotte continues to spill over in that direction.

Old 11-21-2020, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
My theories on why this is:

1. Trump came to Robeson County and promised to make the Lumbee tribe federally recognized, as that's been a big issue for much of the Native American population of Robeson County for years. Whether that would have happened, who knows, but it apparently was enough to gain him some support. I also believe Robeson county is one of those areas where younger, more Democratic leaning people would be leaving to look for better opportunities so that leaves aging Blue Dog Democrats who have switched parties. Robeson County is the type of rural places Democrats need to somehow figure out a way to connect with people in.

2. Cabarrus County was pretty red as a starting point (associated with NASCAR and being a mill town environment with Kannapolis- both of which would lean Republican in the South), so it's not like it's become a deeply liberal county. It's just headed towards the center, and part of that is due to more people moving in from outside NC who have more diversity in their politics as Charlotte continues to spill over in that direction.
I concur, but the denser, more urban, and more diverse Cabarrus becomes, the bluer it will become. It is transforming into an actual, true suburban county.

Old 11-22-2020, 12:55 PM

6,109 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I concur, but the denser, more urban, and more diverse Cabarrus becomes, the bluer it will become. It is transforming into an actual, true suburban county.
I agree with that. I think the eastern part (Mt. Pleasant) will still be rural for some time, but the sheer population growth of the western side of the county is what's making it closer to Mecklenburg, even more so than Gaston, Iredell, or Union counties.

Old 11-22-2020, 01:01 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Trivia i just pulled from his page

Scottish-American relations
North Carolina's 7th district includes the largest number of Scottish-American descendants in the United States.

Interesting
I read once that there were more people who claim Scottish ancestry in NC than anywhere in the world, including Scotland. I can't verify the veracity of that, but here are two sources:
NCPedia
Scots to Colonial North Carolina Before 1775

Old 11-22-2020, 02:51 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Sunbelts, including NC, are going to shift more and more blue I think.

I think the DEM’s future is the new south and sunbelt states and I think the GOP will continue to make inroads in Michigan, Wisconsin and maybe Minnesota (Philly, Pittsburgh & Chicago makes me think they will stay blue)

What needs to happen is the Charlotte metro area needs to become more blue. It’s shockingly red. Mecklenburg Co. alone is still not as blue as most counties it’s size. The metro outside of the city limits is so red. And the city is probably only blue because of the black population whereas the triangle seems to be just a more progressive region in general. I’m not sure if that’s going to change for Charlotte metro. None of the counties seem to be moving more blue outside of Meck. And I don’t see growth in those counties that would add more blue votes.

Ohio is so far gone from the Dems these last couple cycles. It’ll be interesting to see the GA runoff’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina