Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 02:30 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times

Advertisements

This is from last year, but still interesting.

Is North Carolina the Future of American Politics?
Welcome to North Carolina circa 2017, where all the passions and pathologies of American politics writ large are played out writ small — and with even more intensity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/20/m...-politics.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 09:36 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
This is from last year, but still interesting.

Is North Carolina the Future of American Politics?
Welcome to North Carolina circa 2017, where all the passions and pathologies of American politics writ large are played out writ small — and with even more intensity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/20/m...-politics.html
Great article! That line about North Carolina being one click behind Virginia, two clicks ahead of Georgia and five clicks ahead of Texas in morphing into a blue state is so true! The "North Trumpolina mindset" with its stereotypical Jerry Springer contestants and a RWNJ legislature slightly to the right of Attila the Hun will evolve out of existence in a few more years. It can't come soon enough!

Old 08-14-2018, 08:35 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,132 times
Lmao, pretentious liberals are hilarious. The irony is most incomimg transplants lean republican. Besides, these guys couldnt predict an election. Who knows what future politics will look like lmao.NC is the worst state in the world because we dont get on our hands on knees for lgbtq issues or bend over backwards for illegal immigrants/ poc/ anti-cop movements... etc... yet we are doing better than almost the entire nation ... smh. Priorities people, id rather live in a state where I could live cheaply with a job then one where the key issues are social justice bs.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:36 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Priorities people, id rather live in a state where I could live cheaply with a job then one where the key issues are social justice bs.

Well that must be another country then because the middle class is as dead in NC as it is anywhere else.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:02 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Lmao, pretentious liberals are hilarious. The irony is most incomimg transplants lean republican. Besides, these guys couldnt predict an election. Who knows what future politics will look like lmao.NC is the worst state in the world because we dont get on our hands on knees for lgbtq issues or bend over backwards for illegal immigrants/ poc/ anti-cop movements... etc... yet we are doing better than almost the entire nation ... smh. Priorities people, id rather live in a state where I could live cheaply with a job then one where the key issues are social justice bs.
Living in your so-called cheap state comes with a price. NC is falling backwards in education. It now ranks 40th in Best States for Education. Being a right-to-work state ensures you'll be working-for-less too!

Old 08-15-2018, 02:11 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,961,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Living in your so-called cheap state comes with a price. NC is falling backwards in education. It now ranks 40th in Best States for Education. Being a right-to-work state ensures you'll be working-for-less too!

I can't disagree with this.. teachers are paid offensively low ... education has been slipping (we homeschool thankfully so its not an issue for us) and prices are rising.. FAST... Rent in some areas around Charlotte where I am are as high as some of the places in New England I see. Home prices aren't really affordable as they once were ..Compared to places like Cali, Mass, NJ yah.. its still cheaper but historically speaking its not like it was.

Old 09-12-2018, 02:17 PM

765 posts, read 473,560 times
i dunno. i doubt this state will ever change.....and i regret mightily moving here.... had to, for cancer treatment at Duke. i hate it here. i don't belong here. the white people are shameful, they just are, i go to the supermarket and never once did i not see some richbiatch take out her angsty-whitey-cluelessness on a black cashier. i want to slap these people upsides their heads....

listen, i am not the world traveller, never been in an airplane, i grew up in a wonderful tiny town in Northern Joisey, rich people all around me... i babysat for Bob Gaudio of the Four Seasons for goodness sakes, rich famous people were a dime a dozen and I adored being so so close to NYC, and all the cultural richness I adored....was educated in Pennsylvania, was then abducted by an alien and brought to a planet known as Connecticut.... i'd hobnob all over New England, raising my kids, but at 9/11 i came back home to Joisey. my dad was retired Port Authority, we lost neighbors, my dad's brother officers, firefighters, some of my childhood friends. We went to funerals for two months, my dad's included.

but people here, honest to gawds and gawdesses, these people never left their little hollers, they have spent their entire life here, never once leaving this state. It boggles my mind. The Klu Klux Klan is still a huge presence here, 3 beautiful young muslim students were just badda bang killed by some redneck hater when they opened their apartment door. They petitioned the Obama whitehouse to let them ban any Syrian refugees from entering this state, the racial hatred is palpable here, not just for blacks, but it's even worse for Mexicans. Haitians. They seem to regularly hang a noose in front of the black student union building at UNC, they literally had bomb threats when muslim students at Duke wanted a Friday call to prayer on campus. Alumni pulled their money. Finally the United States Supreme court ruled against NC for its racial gerrymandering of huge voting districts to disenfranchise the minority voters. It is disgusting what goes on here

this state will kill your soul. it will make you hate your race, and their white privilege. Maybe in another 25 years after enough yankees come south and effect some change, but i don't hold out much hope. I honestly want to warn them to go anywhere else in America but North Narrowlina.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:46 PM

2,264 posts, read 1,483,680 times
Quote:
Of the last six 2016 (ie. the final week) polls of North Carolina, three had Clinton winning, two had Trump winning, and one was a tie. Three were within the statistical margin of error (both polls that showed Trump winning had him winning by far more than he did, well beyond the margin of error).

So, all in all, the polls out of North Carolina in 2016 were pretty accurate.

But don't let that stop you from claiming otherwise...
https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ep...nton-5538.html

Old 09-12-2018, 06:46 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceiligrrl View Post
i dunno. i doubt this state will ever change.....and i regret mightily moving here.... had to, for cancer treatment at Duke. i hate it here. i don't belong here. the white people are shameful, they just are, i go to the supermarket and never once did i not see some richbiatch take out her angsty-whitey-cluelessness on a black cashier. i want to slap these people upsides their heads....

listen, i am not the world traveller, never been in an airplane, i grew up in a wonderful tiny town in Northern Joisey, rich people all around me... i babysat for Bob Gaudio of the Four Seasons for goodness sakes, rich famous people were a dime a dozen and I adored being so so close to NYC, and all the cultural richness I adored....was educated in Pennsylvania, was then abducted by an alien and brought to a planet known as Connecticut.... i'd hobnob all over New England, raising my kids, but at 9/11 i came back home to Joisey. my dad was retired Port Authority, we lost neighbors, my dad's brother officers, firefighters, some of my childhood friends. We went to funerals for two months, my dad's included.

but people here, honest to gawds and gawdesses, these people never left their little hollers, they have spent their entire life here, never once leaving this state. It boggles my mind. The Klu Klux Klan is still a huge presence here, 3 beautiful young muslim students were just badda bang killed by some redneck hater when they opened their apartment door. They petitioned the Obama whitehouse to let them ban any Syrian refugees from entering this state, the racial hatred is palpable here, not just for blacks, but it's even worse for Mexicans. Haitians. They seem to regularly hang a noose in front of the black student union building at UNC, they literally had bomb threats when muslim students at Duke wanted a Friday call to prayer on campus. Alumni pulled their money. Finally the United States Supreme court ruled against NC for its racial gerrymandering of huge voting districts to disenfranchise the minority voters. It is disgusting what goes on here

this state will kill your soul. it will make you hate your race, and their white privilege. Maybe in another 25 years after enough yankees come south and effect some change, but i don't hold out much hope. I honestly want to warn them to go anywhere else in America but North Narrowlina.
This is one of the biggest piles of crap I’ve ever read.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:59 PM

873 posts, read 1,016,648 times
Quote:
You apparently forgot (or didn't know) that California has the strongest economy above all states, ranking fifth in the world if it was its own country, and it's done so while embracing "social justice bs," as you call it. And as for LGBTQ issues and illegal immigrants and people of color, man, are you going to be one heck of a shock when you visit Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Asheville or any of the other major cities in the blue counties that are powering our state's economy and doing much better than most of the struggling red ones. These issues aren't problems for the municipalities--in fact, they're sources of strength for many of them and generate many to visit and relocate in these areas while your neck of the woods remains stagnant, no surprise.

Finally, I don't know how true your claim is about most transplants being Republicans and would love to see you cite where it came from. Regardless, the fact is that when it comes to social issues that seem to drive you nuts, they have more in common with native NC Democrats than most others who call themselves Republicans in the state nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina