Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 06:19 PM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times

Advertisements

I saw this article posted on another forum today and was a little surprised that the crown went to Mount Olive. The surprising part (to me) isn’t that it’s economically depressed, but that it’s ranked lower than surrounding towns. Any thoughts on this?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/real...ate/ss-AAwE9MH

Last edited by LM117; 08-13-2018 at 07:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 08:09 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Well, Mt. Olive (south of Goldsboro) is located in a fairly poor part of the state. However, there's a small private university there (University of Mt. Olive), which has over 3,000 students and the town is just over 4,000 population. Typically, a college town has lower reported incomes because college students aren't working full time jobs and off campus students also skew poverty rates upward, making a place seem poorer and more destitute than it really is.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blog...ff-campus.html

However, the MSN article fails to mention any of this, which is what I find irritating about the sloppiness and half truths in how these kinds of nationally written "best and worst" lists are compiled. I'm not from Mt. Olive and don't really know of anyone there so it's not like I have a dog in the fight, but it's irritating because these small towns have to work so hard to stay viable, only to have a poorly presented list taint their reputation. And this is coming from a national reporter who probably hasn't even been to the town they're reporting on. I've seen this play out in other places as well, so sorry for the soapbox but it hits a nerve. Due care is needed in interpreting these kinds of articles even if due care wasn't used in writing them.

On a separate note, it's not my call but why is their mascot not a pickle, or even an olive?

https://umo.edu/mount-olive-college-trojan-comes-life/

Last edited by Jowel; 08-13-2018 at 08:51 PM..

Old 08-14-2018, 05:50 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,488 times
[quote=Jowel;52793500]Well, Mt. Olive (south of Goldsboro) is located in a fairly poor part of the state. However, there's a small private university there (University of Mt. Olive), which has over 3,000 students and the town is just over 4,000 population. Typically, a college town has lower reported incomes because college students aren't working full time jobs and off campus students also skew poverty rates upward, making a place seem poorer and more destitute than it really is.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/blog...ff-campus.html

However, the MSN article fails to mention any of this, which is what I find irritating about the sloppiness and half truths in how these kinds of nationally written "best and worst" lists are compiled. I'm not from Mt. Olive and don't really know of anyone there so it's not like I have a dog in the fight, but it's irritating because these small towns have to work so hard to stay viable, only to have a poorly presented list taint their reputation. And this is coming from a national reporter who probably hasn't even been to the town they're reporting on. I've seen this play out in other places as well, so sorry for the soapbox but it hits a nerve. Due care is needed in interpreting these kinds of articles even if due care wasn't used in writing them.

Exactly.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:37 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times
I'm thinking Hamlet myself....though no facts to back myself up....towns along the Tar river...

Last edited by greatblueheron; 08-14-2018 at 08:53 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 09:36 AM

1,291 posts, read 1,597,631 times
Columbus/Robeson County, Roanoke Rapids and the counties surrounding it, possibly some mountain counties... all are easily worse off than Mt Olive

Old 08-14-2018, 02:45 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,628,713 times
I drive through Mt Olive fairly often on the way to Topsail Island. I hate this type of negative publicity, which I don't think is warranted, for reasons mentioned previously. There might not be all that much happening in Mt Olive, but there are many far-worse off areas.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:43 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,495,103 times
With Mt Olive getting penalized by having a college in an economically depressed part of the state, I wouldn’t be surprised if Pembroke is second on the list.

Old 08-15-2018, 05:22 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,821,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarnetAndBlack View Post
Columbus/Robeson County, Roanoke Rapids and the counties surrounding it, possibly some mountain counties... all are easily worse off than Mt Olive
That was my initial thought as well when I saw the article. You don’t even need to go outside of Wayne County to find places that are worse off. Other than Goldsboro, it’s the only town in Wayne County that’s had any growth at all in the last 10 years. Meanwhile, the northern half of the county (Fremont, Pikeville, Eureka) looks virtually the same as it did when we first moved there in 1995 when I was 6. Seven Springs is close to Mount Olive and it’s in a bad way, even moreso now because of Hurricane Matthew.

Now when I think about it, I think Jowel makes a good point regarding the incomes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
On a separate note, it's not my call but why is their mascot not a pickle, or even an olive?

https://umo.edu/mount-olive-college-trojan-comes-life/
Trojans are more popular in colleges.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:18 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,856,412 times
Mt Olive is not the poorest town in NC, far from it. The issue there is counting students who are receiving financial aid to go to Mt Olive.

Off the top of my head I was thinking Bolton or Garland.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:33 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
My vote would be Tabor City, but that's just cause my radiator overheated there once when I took a wrong turn.

I agree that plenty of towns are worse off than Mt Olive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina