U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2018, 08:05 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,166,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
For me I don’t consider Wilmington “eastern nc.” It’s a coastal city to me. And doesn’t have the same vibe/culture as your typical eastern nc town like Goldsboro/Kinston/Fayetteville etc etc.
Yes and no Wilmington technically isn’t even at the beach
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 09:10 AM

2,669 posts, read 3,746,455 times
There are good projects going on in ENC in a number of communities.

The Washington waterfront looks great.
New Bern's downtown is really nice and quaint.
Kinston has spruced up the ballpark and a nice couple of block area on Heritage St.
Rocky Mount and Wilson are making some transformative changes...

But nothing compares to what is going on in downtown Greenville...there is growth and renovation. Population increases, new commercial construction, small business investment, public investment, and historic rehab. All happening at once. This next year will see big changes culturally downtown in regards to the amount of foot traffic on the ground downtown and visitor spending downtown. Just announced yesterday that Parmalee is playing the first Freeboot Friday free concert downtown on Sept 7th.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:32 AM

1,313 posts, read 1,020,633 times
-Greenville and Wilmington are the two obvious choices here, especially when 587 opens in Greenville

-I wouldn’t be surprised if New Bern spikes in population and goes up to 40 or 50K in population.

-Goldsboro could go either way tbh, Same with Elizabeth City. Simply having a State University and a highway doesn’t mean that an area is going to grow even though it would help to have both.

-If Jacksonville doesn’t get an interstate highway OR diversify its job base, then I see them continuing to stagnate or even declining.

Last edited by Renownedtheworldaround; 08-17-2018 at 11:52 AM..

Old 08-17-2018, 01:19 PM

1,081 posts, read 875,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
For me I don’t consider Wilmington “eastern nc.” It’s a coastal city to me. And doesn’t have the same vibe/culture as your typical eastern nc town like Goldsboro/Kinston/Fayetteville etc etc.

I agree agree that the culture (and demographics) in those towns is very different from Wilmington or anything else in NC. The culture of Goldsboro/Kinston/Fayetteville is more similar to Vicksburg, MS/ Montgomery, AL/ Macon, GA/ Florence, SC. These are right in the heart of the black belt. There shared trauma of slavery and and its lingering after effects is much more prevalent in the culture of these cities than identification with a state.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:49 PM

656 posts, read 423,043 times
I’d say Fayetteville. It is already a regional hub for Eastern NC (Yes Fayetteville is more prominent than Wilmington), but I feel the baseball stadium, civil war history museum, hotels and offices coming downtown, and proposed performing arts center, to name a few, is Fayetteville hustling to not just be a regional hub, but a hub for the entire southeast of the country. It was noted a couple weeks ago on Fayetteville Observer, that Fayetteville is now a “tier 1” city alongside Charlotte and Raleigh. Fayetteville has grown 4.5% and is currently sitting at around 210,000 as of 2017, which puts the city head-head with other mid-sized cities across the country.

Fayetteville is in a great location, with the fastest increasing salaries in the state, a pretty good population growth, major commercial and tourism projects, makes me truly believe that Fayetteville will accomplish a extraordinarily major role on the East Coast in a decade or 2. Not to mention I-295 Fayetteville Outer Loop will be finished, which connects the city to some of Cumberland County’s largest suburbs like Hope Mills, Parkton, Eastover, and Spring Lake. It also provides quick and easy access to downtown from those suburbs which I think will further growth even more.

Just a thought.

I also hear plans to rename Fayetteville State University to UNC Fayetteville. I am completely for that and hope it happens, as I think the simple name change will give the mid sized university a boost. Methodist University is also a pretty reputable private institution in the northern part of the city.

Now, I’d like for the city to put money on the Cape Fear River for some nice riverfront development and I’d like to see the city hustle and land another major manufacturing plant (2500+ employees), such as a car or electronics company. I’d say a good spot for something like that would be Cedar Creek Road, as I envision the East Fayetteville Road has the porentional to have the major Sprawl of Ramsey Street if the city plays its cards right. Not to mention the great school district (Cape Fear) has already brought an influx of new neighborhoods in semi-rural/suburban parts of the county near Eastover, if that development pushes farther west to Cedar Creek Road, it’d be awesome. Great access to downtown, I-95, I-95 Bus, I-295, and Martin Luther King Jr Freeway, could potentionally be used to make Cedar Creek Road a hotspot. The city put a new fire station on the road in maybe 3 or so years ago, so maybe there’s something planned. The area already has 2 grocery stores that I’m aware of, IGA and 2 Food Lions.

I think Fayetteville is the 3rd fastest growing major city in Eastern NC, behind Wilmington and Greenville.

Last edited by Archer705; 08-17-2018 at 09:02 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 09:30 PM

2,884 posts, read 1,153,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Wilson seems similar to Rocky Mount, just maybe in a slightly more advanced stage of revitalization projects.
Just from driving through them both, Wilson seems to be a considerably nicer town than Rocky Mount.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:32 AM

2,743 posts, read 1,200,724 times
Louisburg and Youngsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or