Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2018, 03:24 PM

39 posts, read 80,904 times

Advertisements

By small I am thinking 150,000 or less. I really love tree lined streets and cute historical downtowns. A few places/parks/walking trails. Maybe a nearby university!!
I would rather a little cold than humid.
Alot for retirees to do and of course inexpensive cost of living.

SUGGESTIONS?

Last edited by CAN'TSITSTILL; 09-01-2018 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: delete post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 03:54 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,841,613 times
There are many threads along this line in the NC forum. Some in the Western NC forum.

Old 09-02-2018, 04:38 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAN'TSITSTILL View Post
SUGGESTIONS?
Rather than limiting yourself to what a small town can afford to offer a senior...
look for an area within a larger city with the features and amenities you seek.

Next up is to choose a place where you already have friends/family or that you already KNOW.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:16 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
A few suggestions, with their positive factors. I won't list the negatives.

Boone - cooler weather and a university.
Hendersonville - lots of moderate priced senior housing, including mobile homes.
Elon - has a university, in the Triad.
Hillsboro - quaint downtown, near Durham.
Pittsboro - quaint downtown, some senior-friendly housing.
Pinehurst - quaint downtown, lots of seniors there, golf and good medical care.
Southport - quaint downtown, many seniors living there.
Wilmington - quaint downtown, Del Webb community, plus other senior-friendly housing.
New Bern - quaint downtown, senior-friendly housing.

Obviously, the places closer to the coast are hotter and humider than those in the mountains. I also agree with the previous poster that it is important to have friends or family nearby. It is also very important to have excellent medical care nearby as you grow older. Ofter the small towns lack the specialty care, and you need to go to a larger city for care.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-02-2018 at 10:29 AM..

Old 09-02-2018, 05:35 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

Hendersonville - lots of moderate priced senior housing, including mobile homes.
Wilmington - quaint downtown, Del Webb community, plus other senior-friendly housing.

Obviously, the places closer to the coast are hotter and humider than those in the mountains. I also agree with the previous poster that it is important to have friends or family nearby. It is also very important to have excellent medical care nearby as you grow older. Ofter the small towns lack the specialty care, and you need to go to a larger city for care.
Those are all very fine places, but some of them are fairly pricey (by NC standards) and the OP mentioned needing an affordable cost of living.

For places with revitalized downtowns that have an affordable cost of living, a few suggestions I have would be Mt. Airy, Asheboro, Sanford (though this is slightly hotter than the others), Salisbury and Morganton. These are all fairly centrally located, have established downtowns that are on the upswing, have reasonable (30-45 minutes driving time) access to one or multiple larger cities in the state (Morganton and Mt. Airy are a bit further out than the others), and it's possible to find a decent home in a decent location in those cities/towns at that price point.

Last edited by Jowel; 09-02-2018 at 06:48 PM..

Old 09-02-2018, 06:10 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Other than the cold rather than humid, I would suggest New Bern. Pretty good medical which a lot of towns it size do not have.

It’s only about 30K. In NC 150,000 is a city!

Old 09-03-2018, 06:31 AM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
...and it's possible to find a decent home in a decent location in those cities/towns at that price point.
I misread your post the first time I posted a response and saw 150,000 as $150,000 for a house and not 150,000 population. My advice would still hold true for the places I recommended. You could find a decent $150,000 house in all of those locations.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:57 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post

You listed pretty much all of the places I would have mentioned.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:09 PM

20 posts, read 27,731 times
Punehurst is amazing - we just moved here and love it!!!

Old 09-04-2018, 08:08 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie2walker View Post
Punehurst is amazing - we just moved here and love it!!!
I think she probably meant to type Pinehurst. (for the benefit of anyone not familiar with town names in NC)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina