Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating from Michigan, heart set on South Carolina, Spartanburg Greenville area, dream house, church, racism, low income, North Carolina possibility, New Bern, crime rate and prostitutes

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 03:41 PM

211 posts, read 548,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
wikipedia: Piedmont
wikipedia: Piedmont Crescent

Your questions about Taylors and Greer may be better answered on the South Carolina forum...

Of course! What was I thinking?

Anyway, I'm thinking that SC might just be hotter than we want. Is that correct? So, we've really been looking at Salisbury today. That town was not mentioned in the forums, to my knowledge, so your info. was a great tip!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 03:44 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
Of course! What was I thinking?

Anyway, I'm thinking that SC might just be hotter than we want. Is that correct? So, we've really been looking at Salisbury today. That town was not mentioned in the forums, to my knowledge, so your info. was a great tip!
SC is really no hotter than NC (unless you count up in our mountains). But believe me, the weather in Salisbury will be similar to the weather in Greenville. Not sure what got you all fired up about Salisbury, it's a nice enough place, but from the descriptions of what you said you wanted it really seemed to me like the Greenville/Spartanville area was more for you. Good luck either way!

Old 04-03-2008, 04:24 PM

4,834 posts, read 6,121,957 times
ShabbyChick:
I have found that using the Google search can get you a lot more information than simply asking others their opinions. Once you get the facts as presented it is up to you to decide if this is what you are looking for.
Sounds like you aren't pleased with the responses which is why I am making this suggestion.

Old 04-03-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
SC is really no hotter than NC (unless you count up in our mountains). But believe me, the weather in Salisbury will be similar to the weather in Greenville. Not sure what got you all fired up about Salisbury, it's a nice enough place, but from the descriptions of what you said you wanted it really seemed to me like the Greenville/Spartanville area was more for you. Good luck either way!

Who told me to look at Salisbury then, and why did they? That is what is so confusing on these threads! I understand what you are saying about Greenville, it's why we were interested in it in the first place. However,
the thing that we don't like about Greenville is that we would have to live in the "outskirts", because of wanting to avoid the big city. I haven't found an outlying town that suits us like Salisbury "appears(?)" to. By the looks of it, we could find everything we need in Salisbury, and only have to go into Charlotte for special outings if we wanted to. Taylors, SC doesn't look like it compares or has the charm we're after. Kind of dull. Believe me, if you saw the town we live in NOW, Salisbury looks like a dream! No joke!!!! Why exactly, do you think Greenville is the answer? Maybe you can convince me. If the weather is similar in both NC and SC I'll look at SC again. I know you can't answer my questions about SC, but if you have another town in mind for us in NC I'd be happy to check it out! I appreciate your help in all of this!

Old 04-03-2008, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuralCoastalGuy View Post
ShabbyChick:
I have found that using the Google search can get you a lot more information than simply asking others their opinions. Once you get the facts as presented it is up to you to decide if this is what you are looking for.
Sounds like you aren't pleased with the responses which is why I am making this suggestion.
Why would you say that? I have been VERY pleased with the info! It's what led me to look at Salisbury, which we are definitely considering! Do you mean my confusion PRIOR to this thread? It's all of the conflicting opinions that can really be frustrating for someone who is not at all familiar with these areas. Anyway...keep the info coming, it's been a BIG help!

Old 04-03-2008, 04:46 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,242,310 times
Smile Love the forum...

I love this forum. It's nice to know familiies still look for what shabbychick has in mind! Love that too! I have and still am considering Greenville, SC and Cary, NC as second home areas for us. I have learned so much about other places I want to visit.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Who told me to look at Salisbury then, and why did they? That is what is so confusing on these threads! I understand what you are saying about Greenville, it's why we were interested in it in the first place. However,
the thing that we don't like about Greenville is that we would have to live in the "outskirts", because of wanting to avoid the big city. I haven't found an outlying town that suits us like Salisbury "appears(?)" to. By the looks of it, we could find everything we need in Salisbury, and only have to go into Charlotte for special outings if we wanted to. Taylors, SC doesn't look like it compares or has the charm we're after. Kind of dull. Believe me, if you saw the town we live in NOW, Salisbury looks like a dream! No joke!!!! Why exactly, do you think Greenville is the answer? Maybe you can convince me. If the weather is similar in both NC and SC I'll look at SC again. I know you can't answer my questions about SC, but if you have another town in mind for us in NC I'd be happy to check it out! I appreciate your help in all of this!

Check out the pretty little town of Landrum - I think you would REALLY like it for its old time Main street. It is just 20 minutes or so northwest of Spartanburg. And Spartanburg does have that approx 40,000 population you want. Landrum only has 3000 or so people, but it seems close to bigger places like Spartanburg and Hendersonville, NC. Additionally, I feel like your husbands employment chances are better if you are situated around Greenville/Spartanburg than Salisbury. And Salisbury is a busy, sometimes heavy commute to Charlotte of at least 45 minutes - it's just not convenient to me. But I do love the little old downtown in Salisbury, it is quaint and full of interesting shops.

Old 04-03-2008, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Check out the pretty little town of Landrum - I think you would REALLY like it for its old time Main street. It is just 20 minutes or so northwest of Spartanburg. And Spartanburg does have that approx 40,000 population you want. Landrum only has 3000 or so people, but it seems close to bigger places like Spartanburg and Hendersonville, NC. Additionally, I feel like your husbands employment chances are better if you are situated around Greenville/Spartanburg than Salisbury. And Salisbury is a busy, sometimes heavy commute to Charlotte of at least 45 minutes - it's just not convenient to me. But I do love the little old downtown in Salisbury, it is quaint and full of interesting shops.
I'm going to pass on Landrum. I was REALLY turned off to Spartanburg and won't consider it. Also, 20 minutes is just too far to get to everything, like where we are now. I have started a thread on SC forum: "Jobs in Greenville Area" (are you happy?) So that I can look closer at Greer and Taylors. We may even consider living in Greenville itself, since it isn't TOO big. I agree about the jobs thing, I am a SAHM, only hubby's income (here it is around $100K, depending on RE market). We need to be able to find really good employment and pay. So, I guess I'm leaning back to SC, all things considered. I saw some pictures of Greenville, definately tugged at my heart, I must say.

Look for me on SC forum! Thanks for everything!

Old 04-03-2008, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I'm going to pass on Landrum. I was REALLY turned off to Spartanburg and won't consider it. Also, 20 minutes is just too far to get to everything, like where we are now. I have started a thread on SC forum: "Jobs in Greenville Area" (are you happy?) So that I can look closer at Greer and Taylors. We may even consider living in Greenville itself, since it isn't TOO big. I agree about the jobs thing, I am a SAHM, only hubby's income (here it is around $100K, depending on RE market). We need to be able to find really good employment and pay. So, I guess I'm leaning back to SC, all things considered. I saw some pictures of Greenville, definately tugged at my heart, I must say.

Look for me on SC forum! Thanks for everything!
I prefer the Greeenville area myself - I only suggested Spartanburg since you said you wanted to keep the population under 40,000, which it is, but still convenient to Greenville, which would have more of what you need. The truth is though, you really won't know if a place is "it" until you visit and spend some time there. Things can look really different in person from what you thought they would look like based on what is written about them!

Old 04-04-2008, 09:56 AM

6 posts, read 17,953 times
I've been looking at the greater Greenville, North Carolina area myself. Fell in love with Snow Hill and Farmville, Robersonville isn't bad either. Lots of house for the money. I've made three trips and found complete strangers to be more friendly than most of the people I've lived with in my small NE town for 20 years. Greenville itself wasn't my cup of tea to live in, but plan on working there. (Malls, restaurants and pretty much anything you want. Alot of things to do associated with the college too. ) I'm more of a small town/country type so Farmville and Snow Hill were more to my liking. Robesonville was adorable, met a very nice elderly lady that was more than willing to talk about the town and how much she loved it. Lots of churches in all of them. I've had friends move to South Carolina and run into problems being "northerners" and moved to North Carolina and love it. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina