U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocating from Michigan, heart set on South Carolina, Spartanburg Greenville area, dream house, church, racism, low income, North Carolina possibility, New Bern, crime rate and prostitutes

Old 04-02-2008, 09:25 PM

211 posts, read 490,716 times

Advertisements

I've been researching a place to relocate (from Michigan) for several months. We want to escape the winters for more sunshine and warmth. We are Christians (Baptists) and want a nice, safe place to raise our family (4 kids and 1 on the way), with churches and Christian values. We want to be in a town of less that 40,000 but it HAS to have Walmart, Target, Mall, great restaurants (we love mexican, chinese, PIZZA!), farmers markets, GOOD grocery stores, a zoo, great parks, fun things for kids. Right now we drive 1/2 hour to get groceries, 1 1/2 hours to a mall, with gas prices, you can imagine...NO MORE!!! We want to be able to get everything we want WHERE WE LIVE. We don't want to be in a big city. We want to live somewhat in the country (not in city limits), we HATE subdivisions and would like a big yard. We love charming, old timey towns with town squares, sidewalks for strollers and walking around, clean and well maintained, FRIENDLY people (yes, we are friendly ourselves). We do not go to bars or concerts, aren't into the party scene, we are not "artsy" or so-called "progressives". We are just down home, folksy people, not always looking to be entertained, so a peaceful and quiet town suits us just fine. (Think sitting on a porch swing chatting with the neighbors kind of peaceful). As long as it has everything we want RIGHT THERE we'll be happy. Not too hot and humid-maybe 80's most days in summer. We'd love to drive to the ocean sometimes. We send our kids to private, Christian school, but good schools are a must for resale purposes. Our housing budget is about $185,000 and we need a big house for that price. My hubby is a real estate broker, but is open to other opportunities, so a good job market is a must!

So, here is my dilemma:

I had my heart set on South Carolina, specifically the Spartanburg/Greenville area. I even found my dream house and a church! Then I got so many conflicting opinions and NEGATIVE comments on here (racism, bad schools, crime, low income, unfriendliness) that I got scared off and decided against S.C.!

Now I've been looking at North Carolina. At first my husband and I were looking at WNC to be close to the mountains. I read how great Waynesville is, so I looked into it. Then I read that there are no good grocery stores or places to shop! We'd have to drive to Asheville, which is the same predicament we are in currently. And the housing there...we could never afford it!!! So, I moved East to the Charlotte area. Great, affordable housing, lots of talk about how beautiful it is. Then comment after comment about extreme crime, drugs, bad schools. So, I set my sights on Winston-Salem/High Point/Greensboro. More of the same negatives threaded in with "so many positives!", which, by the way, do not outweigh the negatives. Not one to give up so easily, I set my sights on Rocky Mount. Some people RAVED about how great it is to raise a family there. It had decent housing...and bad crime and schools. One lady RAVED about Red Oak and Nashville, so I checked them out. No good places to shop, we'd have to go to Raleigh. I looked at Wilson, found a house I adored and was almost sold...until I read about the prostitutes along 301. One of these towns (I can't keep them all straight) had trouble with gangs (The Crisps). How lovely. Next, I read about how WONDERFUL and PERFECT New Bern is. I think: at this point what have I got to lose? Next I'll be out in the Atlantic! I have to agree, New Bern looks pretty great. However, it turns out I have an awful lot to lose there...$250,000 to be exact. And that's just to get a SMALL house. Um, No.

So, you guys are really confusing. You have made me think that Michigan isn't really so bad after all. I KNOW my expectations aren't too high, because there are towns that fit all of our needs and wants right here in Michigan (except for the weather!). Maybe there just aren't any that fit the bill in the Carolinas????? I do appreciate all of the comments, it's just that when someone "raves" about a particular area as being great for families, and then fails to mention gangs and prostitutes, I feel that I'm being sold a bill of goods. Honesty is what's really needed, because people are looking to you all to help them make a life changing, and VERY EXPENSIVE decision! So, if I am not going to find what I need in the Carolinas, please be straight with me. Don't try to "sell" me on your state because of your hometown pride, don't give me only half the story.

Now, does ANYONE know if there are ANY towns that fulfill our requirements? If so, we'd love to take a trip and check it out to make a decision. And if not, I'll set my sights elsewhere. Thank you for any help!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 10:02 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,498,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShabbyChick View Post
I've been researching a place to relocate (from Michigan) for several months. We want to escape the winters for more sunshine and warmth. We are Christians (Baptists) and want a nice, safe place to raise our family (4 kids and 1 on the way), with churches and Christian values. We want to be in a town of less that 40,000 but it HAS to have Walmart, Target, Mall, great restaurants (we love mexican, chinese, PIZZA!), farmers markets, GOOD grocery stores, a zoo, great parks, fun things for kids. Right now we drive 1/2 hour to get groceries, 1 1/2 hours to a mall, with gas prices, you can imagine...NO MORE!!! We want to be able to get everything we want WHERE WE LIVE. We don't want to be in a big city. We want to live somewhat in the country (not in city limits), we HATE subdivisions and would like a big yard. We love charming, old timey towns with town squares, sidewalks for strollers and walking around, clean and well maintained, FRIENDLY people (yes, we are friendly ourselves). We do not go to bars or concerts, aren't into the party scene, we are not "artsy" or so-called "progressives". We are just down home, folksy people, not always looking to be entertained, so a peaceful and quiet town suits us just fine. (Think sitting on a porch swing chatting with the neighbors kind of peaceful). As long as it has everything we want RIGHT THERE we'll be happy. Not too hot and humid-maybe 80's most days in summer. We'd love to drive to the ocean sometimes. We send our kids to private, Christian school, but good schools are a must for resale purposes. Our housing budget is about $185,000 and we need a big house for that price. My hubby is a real estate broker, but is open to other opportunities, so a good job market is a must!

So, here is my dilemma:

I had my heart set on South Carolina, specifically the Spartanburg/Greenville area. I even found my dream house and a church! Then I got so many conflicting opinions and NEGATIVE comments on here (racism, bad schools, crime, low income, unfriendliness) that I got scared off and decided against S.C.!

Now I've been looking at North Carolina. At first my husband and I were looking at WNC to be close to the mountains. I read how great Waynesville is, so I looked into it. Then I read that there are no good grocery stores or places to shop! We'd have to drive to Asheville, which is the same predicament we are in currently. And the housing there...we could never afford it!!! So, I moved East to the Charlotte area. Great, affordable housing, lots of talk about how beautiful it is. Then comment after comment about extreme crime, drugs, bad schools. So, I set my sights on Winston-Salem/High Point/Greensboro. More of the same negatives threaded in with "so many positives!", which, by the way, do not outweigh the negatives. Not one to give up so easily, I set my sights on Rocky Mount. Some people RAVED about how great it is to raise a family there. It had decent housing...and bad crime and schools. One lady RAVED about Red Oak and Nashville, so I checked them out. No good places to shop, we'd have to go to Raleigh. I looked at Wilson, found a house I adored and was almost sold...until I read about the prostitutes along 301. One of these towns (I can't keep them all straight) had trouble with gangs (The Crisps). How lovely. Next, I read about how WONDERFUL and PERFECT New Bern is. I think: at this point what have I got to lose? Next I'll be out in the Atlantic! I have to agree, New Bern looks pretty great. However, it turns out I have an awful lot to lose there...$250,000 to be exact. And that's just to get a SMALL house. Um, No.

So, you guys are really confusing. You have made me think that Michigan isn't really so bad after all. I KNOW my expectations aren't too high, because there are towns that fit all of our needs and wants right here in Michigan (except for the weather!). Maybe there just aren't any that fit the bill in the Carolinas????? I do appreciate all of the comments, it's just that when someone "raves" about a particular area as being great for families, and then fails to mention gangs and prostitutes, I feel that I'm being sold a bill of goods. Honesty is what's really needed, because people are looking to you all to help them make a life changing, and VERY EXPENSIVE decision! So, if I am not going to find what I need in the Carolinas, please be straight with me. Don't try to "sell" me on your state because of your hometown pride, don't give me only half the story.

Now, does ANYONE know if there are ANY towns that fulfill our requirements? If so, we'd love to take a trip and check it out to make a decision. And if not, I'll set my sights elsewhere. Thank you for any help!
Go back to researching Greenville, SC, it really is perfect for all you are trying to accomplish. You need to try to remember when you read all these threads that the people here actually represent a very tiny fraction of the folks who live in the places you are now "scared off of". Read and gather info, but don't put so much stock in everything that you change all your plans! Greenville and its surronding areas really do have what you are looking for, promise

Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 AM

648 posts, read 2,737,217 times
According to the OP, Greenville is too big.

When reading the laundry list of requirements, Salisbury and Hendersonville came to mind. Both are ~35,000 people, with a Wal-Mart and a mall. Pretty good schools. You will have a hard time getting a big house for $185k in Hendersonville, so maybe Salisbury is the better choice between the two. There's no Target store, yet. The NC Zoo in Asheboro is 45 miles away. It's going to be tough to find sidewalks in an area outside the city limits.

I'm not trying to sell anything. I'm not raving. I've never been to Michigan, so it may be just as nice up there as it is here in NC. Only you can make that decision.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:28 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,247,689 times
I still think the Piedmont-Triad area is also still worth considering, especially maybe some of the outlying not-yet overly developed areas.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:12 AM

Thank you all for the tips!

If we were to move to the Greenville area, we would be looking at Taylors, specifically. Does Taylors have everything we want? (I know housing is in our range there, and there is a church/Christian school.) If not, where else would you steer us? We are of course, willing to drive a bit for a zoo or a museum, as we wouldn't be going there all the time, anyway. I realize sidewalks will be inside city limits. When we go into town we like to walk around, and many big cities aren't conducive to that. We also LOVE antiquing! Sorry for the "laundry list" of requirements. I wanted to be very specific because I don't like surprises. We have been looking to move for a LONG time. When we do, we want it to be the LAST time. It is just not possible to get a real "feel" for a place in just a week of vacation. I rely on your insight, and appreciate it so much. You have no idea what a help city-data is to anxious people.

Question: Are Salisbury and Hendersonville in NC or SC?

And is the Piedmont-Triad area in NC or SC?

Thanks again, guys. So much!!!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:44 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,344,889 times
Both are in NC to answer your question.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:24 AM

I found Salisbury, it looks like a DEFINITE possibility! LOVE the sound of the antique shops! ~ Thank You!

The only Piedmont I was able to find is just South of Greenville in SC. Where is it located in NC????

Also, still looking for any info about Taylors. What about Greer, as well? Which one might be a better fit for us? ~Thank You!

Old 04-03-2008, 09:35 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,344,889 times
Quote:
I found Salisbury, it looks like a DEFINITE possibility! LOVE the sound of the antique shops! ~ Thank You!

The only Piedmont I was able to find is just South of Greenville in SC. Where is it located in NC????

Also, still looking for any info about Taylors. What about Greer, as well? Which one might be a better fit for us? ~Thank You!
The Piedmont is the cluster of cities in the area of Charlotte, Gastonia, Shelby, Lincolnton, Hickory....etc.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:45 PM

648 posts, read 2,737,217 times
wikipedia: Piedmont
wikipedia: Piedmont Crescent

Your questions about Taylors and Greer may be better answered on the South Carolina forum...

Old 04-03-2008, 01:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times
Quote:

Piedmont North Carolina counties
http://www.ctnc.org/maps/piedmont.gif (broken link)
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina